Ever have a train not stop for you?

traildriver

This past Monday morning (12 Oct), I was waiting at the Parsons Blvd. and Hillside Avenue station. I was just descending the stairs to the platform, when I heard the horn sound on the arriving southbound F train. It was at 3:11 AM, (my watch is automatically radio-calibrated by the atomic clock in Colorado, and always correct). This was the train that was scheduled to depart 179 street at 3:09 AM. I was on the platform by myself (normal at that hour). The train just kept on going. Never stopped. I went back up to inquire from the station agent as to why, but he could not reach dispatch on phone. So I just had to wait twenty minutes for the next train. I have never seen this happen before. Did the TO see an empty platform and decide to make this a "flag stop"?

This seems very unusual. Sorry you had to go through an experience like this. However, the only way a train would even skip a station is if it were to do a battery run. But Parsons Boulevard is an important stop (sort of) and I can't figure out why the train wouldn't stop at your station, even at night. All I know is that if a train stops at the station, if no one gets on or off. It'll just open and close its doors real quickly and leave. Ask around, this is a really strange case.

This past Monday morning (12 Oct), I was waiting at the Parsons Blvd. and Hillside Avenue station. I was just descending the stairs to the platform, when I heard the horn sound on the arriving southbound F train. It was at 3:11 AM, (my watch is automatically radio-calibrated by the atomic clock in Colorado, and always correct). This was the train that was scheduled to depart 179 street at 3:09 AM. I was on the platform by myself (normal at that hour). The train just kept on going. Never stopped. I went back up to inquire from the station agent as to why, but he could not reach dispatch on phone. So I just had to wait twenty minutes for the next train. I have never seen this happen before. Did the TO see an empty platform and decide to make this a "flag stop"?
Maybe it was out of service, because no matter what it has to stop at the station,because realistically the T/O has no idea to how many people are on his train at the time,so he can`t just assume the time of night and skip a stop.

Happens to me plenty of times. (1) trains sometimes get backed up at South Ferry so they make the outgoing ones skip Rector St so they can get the trains back on schedule...nothing ground breaking there I'd say. I hate it when that happens though since it only seems to happen when I have to be somewhere.

Maybe it was out of service, because no matter what it has to stop at the station,because realistically the T/O has no idea to how many people are on his train at the time,so he can`t just assume the time of night and skip a stop.

Even this seems farfetched. He had to wait another 20 minutes, so this would be considered an abandoned interval.

No thats not procedure down here you stop at every station you are scheduled to stop unless ordered by the Dispt on duty.

If he was blowing his horn the train must have had a reason to skip it maybe had a sick customer perhaps or something else was going on...

Thats being said i have no idea why that (F)ox train didnt stop.

The station agent had suggested that the train might be going to the yard. But that would seem strange at that time of the night, and it was about on time or even a minute ahead of schedule. I thought I had seen a few passengers aboard as it swept by (very unlikely anyone would have wanted to get off that soon (second station) on its outbound trip.

I imagined all kinds of wild scenarios like maybe the train was being hijacked, or run by an unauthorized person, but I guess not. Perhaps there was an ill passenger or something else going on, although the Parsons and Hillside station would have been the closest to Queens General Hospital.

Grrr, I had this happen to me a few times on the (N). Waiting at Kings Highway (Sea Beach) a (N) train skips the station going to Manhattan, the T/O used the horn while passing the station "beep-beep" I waited another 10 minutes for another one.

On the (Q) waiting at Avenue J, this train skipped this station going to Coney Island. I'm like where's my (Q)? Another local train comes, and it's signed as a (;). This was like a year ago, before the Brighton Line underwent a major construction project.

This last incident, on the (F). Oh man, the Coney Island bound (F) is on the express track skipping my stop at Bay Parkway. I hoped for a Coney Island bound (F), but the next (F) to arrive at my stop was terminating at Kings Highway. I said "screw it" and waited another five mintes for another (F). A 15 minute wait for a Coney Island bound (F).

1. Coney Island bound (F) going express.

2. Next local (F) to Kings Highway only.

3. Coney Island bound (F) I can finally hop on.

Grrr, I had this happen to me a few times on the (N). Waiting at Kings Highway (Sea Beach) a (N) train skips the station going to Manhattan, the T/O used the horn while passing the station "beep-beep" I waited another 10 minutes for another one.

On the (Q) waiting at Avenue J, this train skipped this station going to Coney Island. I'm like where's my (Q)? Another local train comes, and it's signed as a (;). This was like a year ago, before the Brighton Line underwent a major construction project.

This last incident, on the (F). Oh man, the Coney Island bound (F) is on the express track skipping my stop at Bay Parkway. I hoped for a Coney Island bound (F), but the next (F) to arrive at my stop was terminating at Kings Highway. I said "screw it" and waited another five mintes for another (F). A 15 minute wait for a Coney Island bound (F).

1. Coney Island bound (F) going express.

2. Next local (F) to Kings Highway only.

3. Coney Island bound (F) I can finally hop on.

LOL i totally remember your frustration with this and the (E) during a railfan trip.

If it blew it's horn it obvious it was a battery run. Mean the train is too late behind the last.

What is a "battery run"?

When you say this train was too late behind the last, that would mean the preceeding scheduled train was way ahead of its scheule, or didn't run for whatever reason.

Like I said, this train was not late, but perhaps a minute or so early. And the next one, which I caught, was about twenty minutes (the normal time at this hour) behind it.

And although unlikely, what if one of the passengers did want off there?

What is a "battery run"?

When you say this train was too late behind the last, that would mean the preceeding scheduled train was way ahead of its scheule, or didn't run for whatever reason.

Like I said, this train was not late, but perhaps a minute or so early. And the next one, which I caught, was about twenty minutes (the normal time at this hour) behind it.

And although unlikely, what if one of the passengers did want off there?

yeah would like to know that too. I thought Battery run means to test battery or something:confused:

As for the trains skipping, its normal. ONLY when there is a reason. T/Os cant just skip a station for no reason, like an empty station.. Thats employee misconduct. Trains makes all stop unless told not to by dispatcher, dunno about supervisors..

I was going to say...I go past there every day on Parsons. Place looks like a dump though.

The building you see on the Parsons side is the old Triboro Hospital buiding, built about 80 years ago. It was originally a sanitarium for those afflicted with tuberculosis. I think its actually a neat looking old building in the Art Moderne style. On the 164 street side, the old Queens General buildings have been brought down, except for the old steam plant. They have been replaced by a brand new couple of buildings that look very modern and up to date.

Oh, all the time at 169th St. in the early mornings around 4AM trains bypass the station for no reason at all.

AM Put-ins? That may be what many of you are seeing with these bypassing trains. Did you look to see if there was anyone aboard (other than crew)? If not, then it's safe to assume that the train was not in service or "running light". Also, 20 minutes at 3:09AM must be an abandoned interval?? It's not exactly the height of the rush hour. If anyone found this "experience" to be disturbing, which clearly some did, I sincerely hope you're never in a real train emergency. :confused:

This happens to me sometimes with the (R) at 4 Av-9 St.

It's a battery run ... any (R) skipping 9 St almost certainly skipped Union, Prospect, and 25 St as well and may have continued skipping local stops up to and including 86 St.

One time I was waiting at Grand Central for a (5) to Baychester AV(My Home Stop). Anyways, I assume the (4) is comming 1st...so it comes and goes. A (5) comes but its only going to East 180th , So i didnt get on cause I had time to spare, next train comes is a (5) To Neried Av. I Got on that and took it to East 180th since I know for a fact the next train will deff be a (4). As I get to East 180th and get off a (2) comes and terminates at 180th. Then here comes another (2) which continues to 241 but express to gun hill rd. Nxt train comes is a (5) to Neried. So at this point im pissed as I watch all these downtown (5)s pass. Finally a Dyre Av bound (5) comes in.

Moral of this story never assume the 1st (5) comes will be a Dyre (5). Could be a East 180th St/149th Street/Neried (5).

Archived