(N)(Q)(R)(W) Ideas

r40s 4501

(N)Express AT all times

(Q)The Q service operates at all times. The normal service pattern for the Q is from 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan to Stillwell Avenue in Coney Island, Brooklyn via Broadway and the BMT Brighton Line operating express in Manhattan and local in Brooklyn

(Q6)R service was suspended. The Q local replaced it between Canal Street and Forest Hills – 71st Avenue at all times except late nights, when it terminated at 57th Street/7th Avenue

®71st Avenue or 36th Street-The first three trains, however, enter service at Gravesend – 86th Street and the last three trains of the night continue in service to Kings Highway

<R>The first three trains, however, enter service at Gravesend – 86th Street and the last three trains of the night continue in service to Kings Highway

<Q>Current plans for the Second Avenue Subway provide for the Q to be extended northward from 57th Street via the BMT 63rd Street Line, which is currently used only during service disruptions. The Q would stop at Lexington Avenue – 63rd Street at the currently-hidden northern side of the platforms to provide a cross-platform transfer to the IND 63rd Street Line (currently served by the F train). East of Lexington Avenue, it would curve northward to merge with the Second Avenue Line at about 64th Street. The first phase of construction, due to be completed by 2015, will extend Q service north to Second Avenue at 96th Street. At the conclusion of the project's second phase, the Q's new northern terminal will be 125th Street, providing residents of Spanish Harlem and the Upper East Side with direct subway service via Second Avenue and Broadway to western Midtown, Lower Manhattan, and Brooklyn.[1]

(N)Express AT all times

(Q)The Q service operates at all times. The normal service pattern for the Q is from 57th Street in Midtown Manhattan to Stillwell Avenue in Coney Island, Brooklyn via Broadway and the BMT Brighton Line operating express in Manhattan and local in Brooklyn

(Q6)R service was suspended. The Q local replaced it between Canal Street and Forest Hills – 71st Avenue at all times except late nights, when it terminated at 57th Street/7th Avenue

®71st Avenue or 36th Street-The first three trains, however, enter service at Gravesend – 86th Street and the last three trains of the night continue in service to Kings Highway

<R>The first three trains, however, enter service at Gravesend – 86th Street and the last three trains of the night continue in service to Kings Highway

<Q>Current plans for the Second Avenue Subway provide for the Q to be extended northward from 57th Street via the BMT 63rd Street Line, which is currently used only during service disruptions. The Q would stop at Lexington Avenue – 63rd Street at the currently-hidden northern side of the platforms to provide a cross-platform transfer to the IND 63rd Street Line (currently served by the F train). East of Lexington Avenue, it would curve northward to merge with the Second Avenue Line at about 64th Street. The first phase of construction, due to be completed by 2015, will extend Q service north to Second Avenue at 96th Street. At the conclusion of the project's second phase, the Q's new northern terminal will be 125th Street, providing residents of Spanish Harlem and the Upper East Side with direct subway service via Second Avenue and Broadway to western Midtown, Lower Manhattan, and Brooklyn.[1]

Huh????

(N) won't run express all times.....I wish but thats not going to happen

(Q) has been operating all times since 2001 I believe

(Q6) was the Brighton Express/6th Avenue Express/63rd Street Local...it never ran to Forest Hills/71st-Continental Avenue. It got replaced by the <Q> and then the (:)

(R) don't need to change and its the (W) that are the 1st 3 trains to Gravesend-86th Street and the last 3 trains to Kings Highway

<R> welcome to the 21st century that line doesn't exist anymore

<Q> will not be the Second Avenue Local...its the (Q)

If you ask me what changes I would like made along the Broadway (N)(Q)(R)(W) line, I'll make just one suggestion.

1. Once the 2nd Avenue Subway line is complete, the (Q) should be extended beyond midtown, via 63rd Street, connect with the (F), and then join the (T) via 2nd Avenue.

If you ask me what changes I would like made along the Broadway (N)(Q)(R)(W) line, I'll make just one suggestion.

1. Once the 2nd Avenue Subway line is complete, the (Q) should be extended beyond midtown, via 63rd Street, connect with the (F), and then join the (T) via 2nd Avenue.

Confused bro, (Q) is doing that..

Confused bro, (Q) is doing that..

What I'm saying is that the (Q) should be extended northward via the 63rd Street connector to Lex Av 63rd Street. You know how the (F) platforms are set up at 63rd Street is set up? Two side platforms. The Red wall is hiding some tracks behind them. Knock the red walls down the tracks will be revealed. The side platforms can be island platforms with the (Q) on the north side and the (F) in the south side. The (Q) would turn to 2nd Avenue and join the (T) about 64th Street.

Only if the Second Avenue subway is complete.

What I'm saying is that the (Q) should be extended northward via the 63rd Street connector to Lex Av 63rd Street. You know how the (F) platforms are set up at 63rd Street is set up? Two side platforms. The Red wall is hiding some tracks behind them. Knock the red walls down the tracks will be revealed. The side platforms can be island platforms with the (Q) on the north side and the (F) in the south side. The (Q) would turn to 2nd Avenue and join the (T) about 64th Street.

Only if the Second Avenue subway is complete.

You saying extend the (Q) to 63rd St till the 2nd ave line done? Then allow it continue?

When the first phase of the SAS is done [if it ever is] the plan is for the Q to go up to 96th. That's what he means by the Q extension.

63rd St is really two island platforms. The current wall standing is a fake wall to hide the other half of the platform till the SAS is complete and thus they can use the tracks on the other side for service than for storage only.

When the first phase of the SAS is done [if it ever is] the plan is for the Q to go up to 96th. That's what he means by the Q extension.

63rd St is really two island platforms. The current wall standing is a fake wall to hide the other half of the platform till the SAS is complete and thus they can use the tracks on the other side for service than for storage only.

You saying extend the (Q) to 63rd St till the 2nd ave line done? Then allow it continue?

You guys got the right ideas, I don't know if 63rd Street would be an appropriate terminal for the (Q) at the moment.

your ideas have vastly improved since the days we first talked. Remember (3) should run local all times?

You guys got the right ideas, I don't know if 63rd Street would be an appropriate terminal for the (Q) at the moment.

If the platform to 2nd Av was on one level, it would be a decent terminal, but since it is on 2 levels, it is not a good idea as a terminal. Hopefully at least 72nd St is ready. That would allow the Q to run past 57th-7th. But as of now the other side of 63rd St is used to store trains, probably W trains for rush hour service or something.

I would like to see the (Q) be extended to Ditmars Boulevard, but only on weekends when the (W) doesn't run. A nice trip to Astoria directly from Brighton. Otherwise, I can hop on the (N).

And replying to the (3) running local, that was a bad idea, but since it's extended to 42nd Street it can connect with my favorites (N)(Q).

I would like to see the (Q) be extended to Ditmars Boulevard, but only on weekends when the (W) doesn't run. A nice trip to Astoria directly from Brighton. Otherwise, I can hop on the (N).

And replying to the (3) running local, that was a bad idea, but since it's extended to 42nd Street it can connect with my favorites (N)(Q).

ah...but i wasnt aware you railfanned/commuted late nights. I don't do either usually but we have to stay on topic cause (3) train discussion is not fit for this thread or this forum section.

ah...but i wasnt aware you railfanned/commuted late nights. I don't do either usually but we have to stay on topic cause (3) train discussion is not fit for this thread or this forum section.

That's right. Sometimes I ride at night (rarely) , coming from events. I think the (Q) should run via Lower Manhattan to help out the (N), instead of running on the Manhattan Bridge.

That's right. Sometimes I ride at night (rarely) , coming from events. I think the (Q) should run via Lower Manhattan to help out the (N), instead of running on the Manhattan Bridge.

the (N) and (Q) travel different ways after Dekalb though. How would running it via whitehall help the (N) out? People wanting to use the (N) to go along 4th avenue would have to switch at Dekalb anyway if they used said (Q). Lower Manhattan...with the winter coming is pretty much dead after 6pm. So doesn't seem like the (N) needs much help.

id say the same. (N)(Q) via Tunnel/Broadway LOCAL.

Theres no need for (Q) express during late nights. at least either the (Q) runs via Broadway local then thru the tunnel late nights, or run via Broadway Local, then Bridge.

my 2nd opinion:

being that the (N) runs from Astoria to Coney Island via LOCAL/Tunnel, let the (N) run Local from Astoria to Canal St, via Bridge to DeKalb Av, then Local from DeKalb Av to Coney Island.

since the (Q) only operates between 57 St/7 Av and Coney Island, the (Q) can make ALL LOCAL STOPS from 57 St/7 Av to DeKalb Av via Broadway Local/TUNNEL, and regular from DeKalb Av to Coney Island.

id say the same. (N)(Q) via Tunnel/Broadway LOCAL.

Theres no need for (Q) express during late nights. at least either the (Q) runs via Broadway local then thru the tunnel late nights, or run via Broadway Local, then Bridge.

my 2nd opinion:

being that the (N) runs from Astoria to Coney Island via LOCAL/Tunnel, let the (N) run Local from Astoria to Canal St, via Bridge to DeKalb Av, then Local from DeKalb Av to Coney Island.

since the (Q) only operates between 57 St/7 Av and Coney Island, the (Q) can make ALL LOCAL STOPS from 57 St/7 Av to DeKalb Av via Broadway Local/TUNNEL, and regular from DeKalb Av to Coney Island.

see thing is he presented it as a way to supplement service on the (N). The (N) doesn't need supplementing in lower Manhattan late nights. It really doesn't. I don't see anything lost by making the (Q) local late nights in Manhattan but also don't see much gained from it either. I'm not a regular rider of the (N)(Q) lines anyway so whatever they do with it wouldn't affect me much anyway. I just had to dispel the idea that the (N) needs any help in lower manhattan late nights.

The only thing I would advocate for is the (R) at night, especially since there was talk of doing this anyway in 2008 before the financial crunch hit. No opinion as to what will happen next year as we are still recovering from a slow economy.

The only thing I would advocate for is the (R) at night, especially since there was talk of doing this anyway in 2008 before the financial crunch hit. No opinion as to what will happen next year as we are still recovering from a slow economy.

Wow I wasn't sure if I was the only one who was thinking about this. Yeah there was discussion about (R) to Forest Hills all times. I wonder what happened to that. Maybe the (E) and (N) perform well enough late nights that the (R) doesnt need the extension after all. I'd like to see it myself

Wow I wasn't sure if I was the only one who was thinking about this. Yeah there was discussion about (R) to Forest Hills all times. I wonder what happened to that. Maybe the (E) and (N) perform well enough late nights that the (R) doesnt need the extension after all. I'd like to see it myself

Didn't you ride the shuttle the last time you were out in Bay Ridge?

Archived