Questions about NJ Transit Projects ?

Nexis4Jersey

1. Is there plans to build any new electric routes?(NJT)

2. When is the Union County Light Rail / Elizabeth going to start work?(NJT)

3. Why is Construction of Northern Branch line, gonna begin in 2011 & not next yr?(NJT)

4. will the :ac: ever become Electric?

~Corey

(NJT)

The only one of those that is actually a project is the Northern Branch. With the upcoming order of Dual Modes I expect plans for electrification are probably going to sit on the shelf though you can never rule them out. Everything is pretty much held up by the Tunnel Project of which it seems every spare dime is going to fund.

As (;)(K) said, everything is second priority to ARC at the moment, if they don't do that then crowding on all lines will become worse, leading to an eventual decline in riders.

Take a peek at this:

njt2020.gif

The rail line extensions into PA will happen, just matter of time, everything else is a "maybe". Nothing will happen till ARC is completed, because those extensions will bring more people onto the system, and ARC is the only thing that can widen that access to make any expansion/increase in service doable. One thing i can see maybe happening "in the mean" is the light rail or BRT for new brunswick.

- A

I understand what your saying, but do u think (NJT) will Electrify , anymore routes. Lets face it all the new and old routes should be electrifying because in a few years Diesel and gas prices will be high or very high , so we should start electrifying routes now , too prepare for the future of high fuel prices. I don't care if the Freight line owns the track rights , (NJT) should have the right to Electrify the route. I would like to see the :pvl: & :mb: lines Electric in the next 10 yrs, can any of you guys see that happening?

No, they are buying the dualmodes so that they don't have to electrify more routes.

Andy, NJT is not going by the 2020 plan anymore, just an FYI.

Yea i knoe, just posted it for educational purposes. :cool:

As far as electrification, 110% yes the dual modes will be a big big deal, because you don't need to expand area under wires, but you can. I have a feeling that the wires would (eventually) go to bay head before anywhere else.

- A

• 5 weeks later...
Some more Questions , That Bridge that runs across the Passaic River after Newark Penn , is that getting Replaced ? Becuz , i think it should its ugly and and falling apart:confused:

Did you know that the DOCK bridge was rated one of the most efficient bridges in the 20th Century? There's a now-defunct site describing how it (original 3-track bridge) efficiently it served PRR for 4 decades, though I'm not sure about the PATH and the one-track bridge. It certainly needs to be repainted white like it was when built in the 20s.

I understand what your saying, but do u think (NJT) will Electrify , anymore routes. Lets face it all the new and old routes should be electrifying because in a few years Diesel and gas prices will be high or very high , so we should start electrifying routes now , too prepare for the future of high fuel prices. I don't care if the Freight line owns the track rights , (NJT) should have the right to Electrify the route. I would like to see the :pvl: & :mb: lines Electric in the next 10 yrs, can any of you guys see that happening?

There was a plan at one point in time for NJT to go exclusively electric, but the benefits didn't outweigh the cost, so it was scrapped.

There is always general talk of extending electrification to Lake Hopatcong on the :mbl:, Dover Yard is at capacity, but so is Penn Station which prevents any further increases in service for Midtown Direct...which would render an extension in electrification kinda pointless. There is also general talk of extending electrification to Bay Head on the :njc:.Plans also surface from time to time about bridging the electric gap in between Denville and MSU on the :mbl:. However this all would require additional trains into NY which is virtually impossible at this point....and with the ALP-45DP's comming the gaps between electric service and diesel service will be somewhat bridged. Unless the engine is big bust like the LIRR DM30AC's...God Forbid.

Dock needs lead paint abatement (similar to how the QB was), asbestos abatement, all other kinds of stuff, and be blocked from opening, because you can't open it and maintain the cordon for dust etc, plus remember there's a river under there.

It needs to be blasted with biodegradable stuff, such as almond shells or such, then painted, replace all the cables for communications, indicators, and power, then give it new rails that dont have such a worn flat head, put in vibration dampers to prolong the fatigue life of the structure, re-grease the pulleys, new counterweights.

The real issue is portal bridge. It's like having a 200 year old windmill sitting in a row of cutting edge wind turbines.

- A

Archived