What would you do if you were Chairman and CEO of the MTA?

Brandon

Why not knock out a clear sea path and put in ferry service. No trains, no bridges, just open sea. You can even put a blue A in one of the windows for the frist few weeks so the buffs don't feel out of place!

And make the ferry free and tell tourists the SI Ferry is old and rickety and they should ride the "Rockaway Ferry" instead. Might actually boost the local economy (no sarcasm, we could use some tourist dollars).

Remington Vernam's original plan for Arverne (Vernam was a wealthy lawyer, descended from French royalty, who owned most of the neighborhood and after whom it was ultimately named) involved a canal going through the center: the Dept of Planning vetoed it, and the proposed canal's route was made into the Amstel Boulevard and joined to Beach Channel Drive. If the canal had remained, or can be dug up, your idea might actually float (no pun intended).

Also, I hate having to walk the 10 blocks or more from either Beach 67th St or Beach 90th St to get to my house on Beach 77th St. A link of any kind that terminates at the Jamaica Bay edge of Beach 80th or 79th St would be a great joy. Since it takes me 15 minutes to get home from Broad Channel (5 on the train and 10 on foot) anyway, a ferry might well suffice and leave me with a shorter walk.

If it could at all be done, I would build a station at or just to the east of Hammels Wye that would solve the problem of the 23 block separation of stations between B67th and B90th St, that too on two different services ((A) and (S)).

I also suggest the Broad Channel station agent is sent back to grade school. Trying to pacify unhappy riders with a GO from the future! Sheesh!!

You should check your writing before you go around saying how other people should be sent back to grade school. :P

You should check your writing before you go around saying how other people should be sent back to grade school. :P

I you read my post carefully, you will notice that I wrote the entire thing in present tense and without much regard to grammar in order to give it a sense of immediacy and tension. What style I choose to write in is up to me; this does not in any way diminish the enormity of the station agent's lack of intellect.

In case you were curious, I took the TOEFL exam before immigrating to the USA and obtained a perfect score (120 on the iBT version). I also scored above 99% of all Americans on the SAT Verbal section (770 out of 800), though English is not my native tongue. Anyway, scores by themselves do not mean anything; the fact is, I could communicate in perfectly fluent and grammatically-accurate English with any person you can send my way. Frankly, your belittling does not even come close to offending me in the slightest. I am fully aware of my superior level of language skills and choose not to demonstrate said skills unless compelled to do so by insecure and condescending persons. If you do not cease to harass me further, I shall let Harry know that the forums are getting out of control and some major restructuring of the staff is overdue.

I you read my post carefully, you will notice that I wrote the entire thing in present tense and without much regard to grammar in order to give it a sense of immediacy and tension. What style I choose to write in is up to me; this does not in any way diminish the enormity of the station agent's lack of intellect.

In case you were curious, I took the TOEFL exam before immigrating to the USA and obtained a perfect score (120 on the iBT version). I also scored above 99% of all Americans on the SAT Verbal section (770 out of 800), though English is not my native tongue. Anyway, scores by themselves do not mean anything; the fact is, I could communicate in perfectly fluent and grammatically-accurate English with any person you can send my way. Frankly, your belittling does not even come close to offending me in the slightest. I am fully aware of my superior level of language skills and choose not to demonstrate said skills unless compelled to do so by insecure and condescending persons. If you do not cease to harass me further, I shall let Harry know that the forums are getting out of control and some major restructuring of the staff is overdue.

Belittling? uh-huh sure.

Why not take the high road and ignore it if it doesn't offend ya. That way these petty arguments don't happen and the thread stays on topic.

Also I used to live out in the Rockaways. I'm sure there's a bus between 67th and 90th st. I'm fairly sure of it. If not then I guess I'm mistaken but try looking into that if you haven't.

SAS built all the way to 125th-8th Av. N and Q trains switching terminals. N going up SAS and the Q to Astoria.

Flushing line to be converted into a B division line using B division cars from QBP to Flushing. The QBP lower level will have a diamond crossover like on the upper level so the W can split off east of the station and replace the 7 from there.

When the segment west of QBP to TS is rebuilt to accomodate a B division train [as well as to replace the steinway tubes with something wider] then the W will become it's own separate line and replace the 7 entirely.

I'll add more eventually, but basically something like my fantasy map changes.

Also I used to live out in the Rockaways. I'm sure there's a bus between 67th and 90th st. I'm fairly sure of it. If not then I guess I'm mistaken but try looking into that if you haven't.

Yeah you mean the Q22. Buses being buses will always be prone to delays and weird service: my record for waiting for the bus at Beach 67th St and Beach Channel Drive is 35 minutes (during which 7 buses with "Not in Service" displays went by). On another occasion, they removed the (perfectly good) bus shelter at B67th the day before a massive thunderstorm. I got off the train in atrocious weather and walked to the stop, only for a bus to go by a few seconds before I reached. I then faced 15 minutes standing in the rain, being driven at an angle by the wind. Even though I had an umbrella, I got soaked from the shoulder down. I know the (MTA) can't control the weather, but it really wouldn't hurt them to have kept the shelter in place for a few days with rain and T-storms predicted.

Then there are days when I leave the house with 20 or so minutes to go until an (A) train is scheduled to arrive at Beach 67th St. I think to myself: I am going to wait for the bus, since I have plenty of time and delays won't matter. After waiting 13-14 minutes, and seeing no bus in sight, I give up and start walking. The bus arrives when I am stuck between stops, and goes on its merry way. My late start means I get to the station on foot 2-3 minutes after the train I intended to catch has left. The long headways in the Rockaways means the next train doesn't show up for a further 15 minutes. After it does show up, around 35-38 minutes after I left home, I get on. A minute later, I pass by my house. Almost 40 minutes after I left my house, I have effectively moved zero feet. (Of course, it could be a lot worse if the South Channel bridge is open. That has never happened, but if it did, I'd probably break down and cry in public).

There was a thread about the "Top 10 Bus Piss-Offs" somewhere on the Forums, I considered but forgot about posting there, but I could easily name 15-20 "Piss-Offs" with many more honorable (!) mentions.

Moral of the story is that it is better to brave the sun, rain, snow and personal fatigue and walk to the station. That is why I wish there was a station nearby.

Who the hell said anything about free transfers?!?

I didn't ask for it, of course. But I have found the Bus Operators, both on this site and in real life, very reasonable people who would give someone a free transfer if an unexpected twist of events forces them to take the bus. Like I said, the "shuttle bus" passengers got to ride the Q53 for free, and the B/O seemed perfectly fine with it. I swiped because I had an Unlimited Card, otherwise I would balk too.

Of course, the (MTA) might want to clamp down on this and force B/Os to not accept "free transfer-seekers", but they have no way of knowing unless you place inspectors on every bus.

Archived