Where do the R42s currently run?

Markus

Hi,

I am in New York City at the moment. Tomorrow will be my last day and I'll try to ride on an R42.

Today I saw some on the (V) and on the (R), but they are nearly all there way in a tunnel, so I can't take a nice picture. Can someone tell me on which routes the R42 operate and (if possible) at which times I can find them.

Thank you, Markus :P

Good pick. The R42s are next in line to be retired so it's good that you want to enjoy some time with them before they're gone.

They are on the (R) and (V), but they're also on the (J) and (Z). They are in service all day on the (J) and (R) (I saw two on the (J) this past Saturday and I rode a set on the (R) before it went OOS at 59th Street). If you want to ride them on the (R) and (V), wait at Queens Plaza but stand by some steps sotoo can cross over if you need to. But if you prefer an elevated run, wait at any stop on the (J) and (Z). Good luck!

Thank you to all of you for your answers.

I guess I will go and take one on the (J)/(Z) because I think it's much nicer to take a photo of them in the middle of buildings. Brooklyn is quite good for that. Are there rides that are favored with R42 (for example the rides athat start at Broadway Junction at 4.16, 4.26... p.m.) or is it possible to find them on any of the rides?

Markus :P

Thank you to all of you for your answers.

I guess I will go and take one on the (J)/(Z) because I think it's much nicer to take a photo of them in the middle of buildings. Brooklyn is quite good for that. Are there rides that are favored with R42 (for example the rides athat start at Broadway Junction at 4.16, 4.26... p.m.) or is it possible to find them on any of the rides?

You can find them running at any given interval as it's hard to track what consist will be put it. All you have to do is wait.

You can find them running at any given interval as it's hard to track what consist will be put it. All you have to do is wait.

That sound's very good. I don't know this from Germany, because at my home the old Trams and Stadtbahnen normally only run during rush hours :P

Markus

they also on the J/Z line.....if you want to ride them on those lines I just listed,you have to wait for them during rush houre for the Z line....J line is a hit and miss.

Yes this is true sometimes there can be as many as Six R42's in service on the (J) Line on any day from Mon to Fri...

This includes the (Z)ebra Put-ins as well..

Then sometimes there can be as little as two.

I can say 8 times out of 10 i will have a R42 for my Put-in on the PM's out of ENY.

Yes this is true sometimes there can be as many as Six R42's in service on the (J) Line on any day from Mon to Fri...

This includes the (Z)ebra Put-ins as well..

Then sometimes there can be as little as two.

I can say 8 times out of 10 i will have a R42 for my Put-in on the PM's out of ENY.

Is a T/O allowed to take any train they want to out of the yard (in the case of R160s and R42s at East New York)?

I got an R42 today on the (J). It startet at 1.42 pm at Broad St. It was a very nice ride :D I'll post a photo when I'm back in Germany.

On the way to Jamaica Center I saw 3 other R42-sets on the J. At the East NY Yard there was also an R42 with a (M) sign. Are they also running on this line?

On my way back from Jamaica to Manhattan I took the (E) to Forrest Hills and changed to the (V). Also an R42 *lucky*. This R42 was in a worse condition than the R42 on the (J). Is that typical for the R42 that run on the (V) because the others R42 on that lkine were also a bit foul. Especially their brakes.

I got an R42 today on the (J). It startet at 1.42 pm at Broad St. It was a very nice ride :D I'll post a photo when I'm back in Germany.

On the way to Jamaica Center I saw 3 other R42-sets on the J. At the East NY Yard there was also an R42 with a (M) sign. Are they also running on this line?

On my way back from Jamaica to Manhattan I took the (E) to Forrest Hills and changed to the (V). Also an R42 *lucky*. This R42 was in a worse condition than the R42 on the (J). Is that typical for the R42 that run on the (V) because the others R42 on that lkine were also a bit foul. Especially their brakes.

Glad you enjoyed the ride. As for the R42s on the (R) and the (V), the cars on those lines are in much worse condition than the ones at East New York for two reasons: Jamaica ran them into the ground, and most likely that they are not as sound as the R42s at East New York. The R42s are good but they are rusting very badly. I hate to see these cars go though; the same goes for the other SMEEs.

Negative only the (J) and (Z) run the R42's..

If they had a R42 in service on the (M)ikey i think the customers would revolt!!

Well at least the non rail-fans....:)

Negative only the (J) and (Z) run the R42's..

If they had a R42 in service on the (M)ikey i think the customers would revolt!!

Well at least the non rail-fans....:)

It still shocks me how the (M) became all-R160 before the (J) and (Z) did....

Archived