Rate your line

LRG

(1) C/C-: More crowded than you think, long wait times, somewhat dirty, very boring. The R-62As used there are, surprisingly, far less interesting than the R-62s on the (3). I don't love the 1

Well, that's just my two cents.

I've got to say, I can't agree with you on the (1). But we're entitled to our opinions so good stuff anyway. Anyway back to the (1). It's always been good to me when I really need it. That's why I'm giving it an A+. The equipment has never broken down on me. The time frequency is amongst one of the best I've seen even late nights. It's like it's waiting for me. Even if I miss one I can count on another being right down the road.

(2)/(3): B. Good and fast express service when I get it. (3) is usually moderately packed or not really packed from where I pick it up. And I like what they've done for it late nights. What I don't like about these two is they seem to constantly be the victim of delays, police incidents and other forms of drama. Also really dislike the lack of synchronization between the (2)/(3) and the (1). Wouldn't hurt for them to hold the trains for each other so people can connect.

(R): I have to say this train has really made me do a 175. I used to hate it. I won't give it as great a rating as Julio but it's definitely jump from the C- minus I used to give it to a B+ at best. It's become very reliable, especially in queens. Crowding is rarely an issue. It lost some points with me on frequency. I still have an issue with how frequently the (R) seems to come around if I miss it.

(4)(5): C - way too crowded during rush hour, plagued with delays. They run in packs of 2 and then after that you wait for what feels like 10-15 minutes for the next.

(6): C+ - This train does better in the way of frequency. There always seems to be a (6) 1 behind the other so I never wait very long to get it and for some reason it seems to come on top when the (4)(5) get screwed up. It's still the victim of delays and crowding but (6) has almost always gotten me uptown faster than the (4)(5). Also I live downtown so I can get it at its starting point. So I never have an issue with getting a seat.

(A): aah an old favorite of mine. My opinion will probably be biased seeing as everybody here knows I love this line. I love it so much I'm gonna be even more critical of it. C+: It scores points on being a fast express when I get it. I love the 44s...one of my most favorite pieces of equipment in the system. I just sit down by the window, pull out the laptop/DS and comfortably ride to my destination. That's where it scored for me.

Where it lost points is...crowding during rush hour is terrible (yet i still manage to get seat....) Miss one and you have time to finish a chapter in your book before the next comes along. Weekend service: I won't go near this train. Local it becomes plagued with delays, severely crowded. There never seems to be signs around indicating what this train is actually doing. I've gotten on it several times thinking I can get to chambers st and then its traveling via the (F) after West 4th...wtf? And its wait times are even longer on the weekends. Even with this said, it still ties with the (1) as my favorite line in the system. Being the one to hold the trophy of my first subway ride ever helps it out a great deal.

(C): D...Good when I get it...if I get it. The MTA should pretty much list this train on the map as "No Service. Use (A) instead" on weekends because with the exception of a very small few weekends, it's never running. The (B) and (E) have covered me for the local stations I've needed to come to waiting for this. Not pleased at all.

(E): B-: Good service in Manhattan. As mentioned above it's covered me for local stations on 8th avenue when I need it. Rarely does crowding present an issue for me as I'm at the last stop. Now when we get into queens that's where things start to turn around. It becomes heavily delayed for whatever reason. Frequency is lackluster. I'll almost always get to the end or midway of queens blvd on a local before I actually see one of these. I like it Manhattan...just hate it in Queens.

(F): I don't live too close to this train but I seem to always end up having to use it. D- hands down. The only reason I haven't given this train the letter it holds on its own is because I'm hopeful all the work the MTA is doing on the (F) will improve it. I feel like every time I need this it screws me with wait times, constant stalling&delays due to sick passenger, signal issues, train traffic ahead or the idiot that dropped his cell phone on the tracks. But oh look its got 160s! Yay that makes it all better! :( I will patiently twiddle my thumbs for the MTA to improve this line. I have plenty of time to do it anyway while I'm waiting for the next one 30 miles down the track.

I also live by the (J)(M)(Z) but I won't rate them because I don't use them enough. I didn't rate the (W) for the same reason.

When heading to school, on the weekends, I often take the (A) (or (C)) to Broadway - Nassau Street and take the (4) or (5). I don't take the (4) or (5) enough to rate them because on Saturdays, I skate from Fulton Street to the terminal because it's 6 in the morning, although on Sundays, the streets are busier so I do take the (4) or (5). I'll give them a combined rating of a B+. If it rains on the weekend, I go back to Brooklyn via the ferry and I take the (4) or the (5) to Fulton Street for the (A)/©. On Mondays, I take the (A)/© to Hoyt - Schermerhorn Streets and transfer to the (G) and take that train to Fourth Avenue for the (R) and take that to 86th Street for the S93. I thought the (G) was good, but this past Monday, I waited 15 minutes for it and when I got to Fourth Avenue, I missed an (R) train. I took an (M) (not going to rate the (M) since it's not a regular in my commute) to 36th Street and waited for an (R), but the train let off at 59th Street and went OOS there, so I had to wait for another (R) train and got to 86th Street at 9:20. Thank goodness the S93 didn't leave yet; it was scheduled to leave at 9:15. I give the (G) a C; it could be way better. The (R) I'll give it a B-; it wasn't so good to me that morning but there were other days that it wasn't so bad. On evenings, when I always go back to Brooklyn via the (R) (on Mondays, if it rains I'll take the S93 instead of skating to the mall for 12-15 minutes for the S79), it's better; I just wish I could catch a 60' SMEE more often. :cool:

I may as well grade the (L) since I used to take it going to high school ALL the time. A solid A. I never have to wait six minutes for an (L) train (because I catch it at 6:30 in the morning). So, my grades for the lines again are:

(A): C-

(C): B

(4)/(5): B+

(G): C

(R): B-

(L) (when I went to HS): A. Pretty much the best line in the MTA. That's why I want to live near the line someday (preferably by Bedford Avenue; just look at my signature as of the time this was written), as I am one stop away from Manhattan but I'm still in Brooklyn.

I'm pretty harsh in critiquing, but here are the lines that I ride most in the order of my preference for the BMT/IND:

F- A; The trains come on time most of the time and it's the fastest consistent route from Midtown, Manhattan to Northern Queens. In terms of trains, I like the R46s for comfortable bucket seats on the long express stretches.

A- B+; The trains come on time all the time, but are usually caught between slow trains on the CPW. During GOs, the A is a "victim" of the D as the A is usually forced onto the local for the entire run while the D gets the express. In terms of trains, the A runs my favorite the R44 and are increasing efficiency as the R46s bump off the R32s.

Q- B; It's the fastest route on Broadway, but is usually degraded by N trains switching between the local and express tracks. I hope that the R160s won't phase off the remaining R68s.

N- B; The second fastest route on Broadway and the best route from Midtown to CI, but is degraded by the R as it switches to the local tracks along the route. Weekends however, are just horrendous for the N. I miss the R68/As as they were already phased off by the annoying R160Bs, which means I can no longer sleep before going to the beach.

M- B-; Simply the best local line in the system, even though it serves the most purpose during Rushes along 4th Avenue and West End. I love the R160As on the line!

E- C; Even though the line mostly features my favorite bench-seaters the R160As, the route is extremely inconsistent as an alternate to the F to Queens. The trains come often, but the route itself is extremely slow while crossing from Queens to Manhattan. The local service on 8th Avenue is horrible again because it's slow and GOs render the line as the worst of the worst.

(1) A- Love it!, Very frequent, sometimes even better than the (2)(3)

(4) C+ Too crowded on weekdays, weekends not that much of an issue

(5) B- Not as crowded as the (4)

(F) B-/C+ Same as (N)

(J) C+ Needs to be more frequent

(M) B Pretty good line

(N) B- Crowding during rush hours is an issue otherwise, it's ok.

(R) B-/C+ I get a seat most of the time, fast in Brooklyn, but waiting can be painful.

(W) A- Awesome line, never overcrowded, comes when the (R) takes forever to arrive

I'll give grades on the lines I ride daily, and also on a few lines I ride with some degree of regularity.

The Dailies:

(A) - B. A somewhat biased rating because I always get on at 207th and can always get a seat. Sometimes hit or miss as far as running on a schedule, there are times where I'll get to 207th and there won't be a train there for a few minutes, or a train will sit there for 10 mins. But once it goes, it's fast and I've rarely, if ever had a major problem. However, I used to take this line going back uptown and I stopped because it's a nightmare (If I still rode it, would probably knock this grade down to a C+). During PM rush hours, it seems to run very infrequently and is almost ALWAYS packed to the gills. Have had moments where I'll be stuck standing from 14th all the way up to 181st. Will often switch to a (1) at 168th.

(1) - B+. Ride uptown, PM Rush. Usually get on at 96th. Have had moments where I've had to let 1 or sometimes even 2 pass because of overcrowding on platform. Rarely will get on at 14th Street and ride all the way up to 231st. Usually empty downtown, fills up in midtown. Runs frequently, and often in bunches during PM rush. Does have occasional problems with trains bunching near the 242nd Street terminal which creates delays.

(2)/(3) - B-. Has its moments. Can sometimes catch a (3) that's almost empty going uptown from 14th to 96th. The (2) ranges from moderately crowded to jam packed. Usually an unpleasant ride, standing the whole way. Fortunately, it's consistently fast so the time saved offsets the crowds.

(L) - C. Ride from 8th Ave/6th Ave to 1st Ave. Always a mystery. Have had experiences where it will skip 1st Avenue without announcement and I am stuck riding to Bedford. Have had excessive delay issues W/B during PM Rush. Will not go anywhere near it on weekends.

SEMI-OFTEN

(7)/<7> - A+. Regular trips to Mets-Willets Point. Frequent service, ALWAYS fast. Never a problem on this line, though before the LED lights were installed on cars was confusing to know which was a (7) or a <7>. E/B is always crowded during PM rush, but not excessive. Postgame <7> service is an absolute Godsend.

(F) - B-. Ride from 2nd Ave to 7th Ave (Brooklyn). Runs annoyingly infrequently during PM Rush. Always crowded, sometimes excessive. Very nondescript ride, though the view at Smith-9th is a plus. Stations at 2nd Avenue and 7th Avenue very similar and configured annoyingly.

(4)/(5)/(6) - B. Don't ride frequently, but will enough to group them together and give a lump grade. Usually quick, but always crowded. Occasionally will catch a (4) at Bedford Pk Blvd in the Bronx. Nice scenic ride on the El, but can take too long (seems like those stops in the Bronx just go on forever).

EMERITUS

(9) - C-. To be honest, I think the (9) skip-stop service created more problems than was worth. MANY people would mix them up. Fortunate that both lines stopped at my stop. Also created major bottleneck delays at 242nd Street terminal. Frequently ended up on a backed-up train.

(7) Always there when I need it, usually more reliable than the buses out of Main Street especially on weekends. There's always a train waiting, and there's a LOT to see! *A+

<7> I dislike how the express skips 74th/Roosevelt, but seeing as how it's a major transfer point I guess you'd want to avoid all the traffic... *A

Why does crowding have to be an issue for those of you riding those lines you're grading? Is it really that packed, like you can't fit inside the train?

Some people really don't know how to move into the center of the car. They like to stand by the door too much.

Some people really don't know how to move into the center of the car. They like to stand by the door too much.

Oh I see the point. Yeah the people standing by the doors are blocking the other passengers' exit and access. That's very annoying. Move to the center of the car, please!

That is why removing the old straps was a very bad idea. By having them (straps) people would see open ones in the middle of the car and they would move to them. Now people just grab on to the poles and crowd the doors. That is one of the biggest design flaws of the R44/46 thru NTTs. Also on the NTTs the horizontal bar is directly over the seat so not only are you crowded by the standees, but tall people such as my self (6'3") must take extra care not to get cracked in the head when getting up.

Why does crowding have to be an issue for those of you riding those lines you're grading? Is it really that packed, like you can't fit inside the train?

to be honest with u, on monday morning, i had to let like 6 trains ((:o/(Q) mixed) go by cuz of how crowded they were. nobody could fit in. it was crazy.

i live closest to the (:)(Q). i cannot really give a grade for them, but i know the pros and cons. the (B) provides fast express service, but needs to run more frequently during rush hours, run on weekends once the Brighton Line reconstruction project is completed, and should not have last priority on the DeKalb Avenue and Columbus Circle junctions. i have been late for class almost everyday because of this. the (Q) is good except for the R68/68As that still run on it, which makes the slow Brighton Local even slower. make it exclusively R160s and i am good to go.

(R): A+

It's always on time when I need it in the morning and evening rush hours. I can usually get a seat 90% of the time. Rarely do I get a train that is dirty.

That's what I would rate it only in the weekends and if I'm taking it from Queens to Manhattan.

Archived