Grade your home NYCT bus line

EE Broadway Local

the q44 i give an b plus the only problem i have witht the q44 is the overcrowding they come very fast and have good buses the q20a/b i give a b minus because they they run very infrequent there are 3 q44s to every 20 they are most of the time empty unless the 44 is stuck on the bridge then everyone crowds on the 20 the q60 gets a d because they run infrequent and always in bunches u wont see a q60 for 20 minutes and then 4 will come together whomever the dispatchers are on the q60 do an awful job

(MTA)Q27 - The line I ride to my community college in Bayside. From reading the schedules the buses are supposed to leave Main Street/Cambria Heights at roughly 5 minute intervals. Sometimes it's a little longer on really busy/slow days. It really sucks to catch this bus on the way home in the winter evenings due to the amount of people going to Flushing from Queensborough (Believe me, I've seen it all) because it gets REALLY, REALLY crowded. At least this line offers limited stops. *B

There's lots more, but I dont want to bore you all. B)

Lawd the lines I used to see at QCC when I used to take the Q27!!

...is why when I get off the QM2 over by the library (the Q28 terminal) [around 7:15/7:30 PM by time I get out there], I don't bother catching the 13 b/c a] I don't feel like crossing the street to get to the 13... b] there's almost always a bus (a Q28) waiting @ the terminal there... may as well wait til the bus gets ready to leave... c] the Q13 will end up being more crowded than the 28... figure the chance of the ppl. I'll have to maneuver around to get off the bus @ the last stop in Flushing, will be much less...

I favor the ride on the Q28 over the Q13 anyway... it's quieter.... the trek on the 28 is more residential before it gets to northern.... the Q13 around the LIRR station there (LIRR Bayside I think that station is) is rather commercial, and gets caught in traffic along Bell Blvd before the bus even hits northern... ehh, no thanks... I'll stick w/ the 28... haha....

Your right on this one

Okay! Here we go!

Bx28: The most frequent bus around these parts. It's efficient, and it gets the job done. The drivers, also, are quite polite. My only complaint is that there are way too many stops along Gun Hill Road.

Bx26: An efficient route that is very helpful in terms of getting to Bedford Park and the West Bronx. A scenic route, too, passing through Italian neighborhoods and a good portion of Bronx Park.

Bx25: Quite possibly one of my favorite routes of all time. So fast and efficient... but oh man I wish it ran more often.

Bx30: A backwards bus. Through Co-Op City, it literally goes backwards compared to the Bx26 and Bx28. It can be confusing, but as a result, passengers get the bloody out of here faster. It definitely needs to run more frequently, though.

Bx29: A short, pleasant, totally scenic route. It needs to run 24/7 though, this will prevent drunk drivers from leaving City Island late at night.

Bx25: Quite possibly one of my favorite routes of all time. So fast and efficient... but oh man I wish it ran more often.

I have to agree the Bx25 saves so much time compared to the Bx26 and it really needs to run more often. maybe the Bx26 can just serve sections 1-4 while the Bx25 handles section 5 and Bay Plaza. It's not like you'd need the Bx26 to serve Co-op City entirely when you have the Bx28,30 and QBX1 Serving all sections.

Okay! Here we go!

Bx28: The most frequent bus around these parts. It's efficient, and it gets the job done. The drivers, also, are quite polite. My only complaint is that there are way too many stops along Gun Hill Road.

Bx26: An efficient route that is very helpful in terms of getting to Bedford Park and the West Bronx. A scenic route, too, passing through Italian neighborhoods and a good portion of Bronx Park.

Bx30: A backwards bus. Through Co-Op City, it literally goes backwards compared to the Bx26 and Bx28. It can be confusing, but as a result, passengers get the bloody out of here faster. It definitely needs to run more frequently, though.

Bx29: A short, pleasant, totally scenic route. It needs to run 24/7 though, this will prevent drunk drivers from leaving City Island late at night.

For the Bx28, the only things I don't like are the crowds between White Plains Rd and Montefiore Hospital as well as the rowdy high schoolers of Clinton, Truman, and Evander Childs High Schools.

Bx17: Probably the most off schedule line. Runs past too many schools along the entire length of the route. Recent route change a couple of years ago makes no sense.

Bx36/Bx36LTD: Great idea but whoa, no additional equipment??? I often see artics during rush, these are most likely put ins???

Bx8: This is probably the best line in terms of scenery and diversity of neighborhoods traveled but it is way too long.

Bx17 D: Probably the most off schedule line. Runs past too many schools along the entire length of the route. Recent route change a couple of years ago makes no sense.

Bx36/Bx36LTD C: Great idea but whoa, no additional equipment??? I often see artics during rush, these are most likely put ins???

Bx8 AA: This is probably the best line in terms of scenery and diversity of neighborhoods traveled but it is way too long.

For the Bx28, the only things I don't like are the crowds between White Plains Rd and Montefiore Hospital as well as the rowdy high schoolers of Clinton, Truman, and Evander Childs High Schools.

That's true. I usually travel out to Norwood at off times, so I don't see them often. Fortunately...

Guest Charles
My most observed (Local Bus) lines that goes through:

Q-54 Metropolitain Ave.: :tup: B-: Nice smooth ride, can get a seat most of the time, span from (M) Metropolitain Ave. to (E)(J)(Z) Sutphin Blvd. is fast and comfortable.

Q-60 Queens Blvd.: :tdown: D+: Sluggish and rough ride, can't get a seat most of the time, whole span lacks busses, and extremely slow near Woodhaven Ave. Choke Zone...

Q-23 Crosstown: :tup: C+: Nice smooth ride, gliding from Queens Blvd. to Union Tpk. last stop, and nice schedule and bus frequency.

Q-46: Union Tpk.: :tup: C+: Nice smooth ride, speedy all the way and love the strectch from Queens Blvd. to Union Tpk. across the highway interchange.

QM-1: Queens Blvd. + Union Tpk.: :tup: B- Nice smooth ride, speedy, really fun busses and just awesome. Nice, frequent service, :P!

Allright -- let's see:

Q54: I don't take that line much often, but Metropolitan between 80st and the Metropolitan Av (M) station can get really jammed with double parkers...once it gets past Woodhaven Blvd it's pretty reliable. I'll give it a B.

Q60: Agreed 100%, but the positive aspect is the variety of buses along that line, so it's worthy of a C.

Q23: I agree with the C- but I totally disagree with the comments: That bus gets bunched especially in the afternoon, the line often wraps around the corner of Continental & Queens Blvd going S/B and going N/B it's not much better. Also, there needs to be more morning service. It's also sad that it sometimes takes nearly 6 minutes to travel along Austin...I give it a :tdown: At least weekend service is okay.

Q46: Great frequency and scenery, A-.

QM1/A: Sometimes I wonder, is there too much service? A

I'll throw some in:

Q64: Great weekday service, horrible weekend service. B

QM12: I like that line, but it has potential to be expanded. B+

Q58: Don't know about weekday service but when I'm in Flushing on the weekends service seems to be okay. A-

M96: There's a reason why it won the Pokey award. C-. Though service is frequent.

M4/M104: These buses are lifesavers on weekends when I get out of Columbia, because weekend (1) service sucks. Either one of them shows up no more than 5 minutes after I arrive.

that's about it for now...

Bx31 - This line is ok. Sometimes late, but it is efficient for my travels :P

Bx8 - Don't get me started. That bus is ALWAYS late, 15-20 minuter headways during RUSH HOUR. On weekends - Three buses per hour! This line sucks, the (MTA) needs to fix this.

QM1/A: Sometimes I wonder, is there too much service?

To some extent, I think so.

I was waiting for a QM17 (that never came) about 2 hrs. ago, over on 6th/w 36th... w/i a 15 minute span, I was rather surprised at how many QM1a's I seen past [6]...

in the process, I also managed to see an express bus w/ the destination that read "Bx13 Yankee stadium"... of course he was out of service... I quick pointed at the b/o & laughed... dude looked as if he grinned, couldn't really tell since it was dark out.....

Q55- B-

It runs good, but after 8pm, you have to wait a long time. It also gets crowded at rush too easily because the first stop connects to the L train. So already the first stop has too many people. If you also miss the bus, you have to wait 10 minutes for it. Good thing about it is that it stops close to my house.

Q23: I agree with the C- but I totally disagree with the comments: That bus gets bunched especially in the afternoon, the line often wraps around the corner of Continental & Queens Blvd going S/B and going N/B it's not much better. Also, there needs to be more morning service. It's also sad that it sometimes takes nearly 6 minutes to travel along Austin...I give it a :tdown: At least weekend service is okay.

I have been going to Forest Hills ALOT since the day I was born. I can tell U that going down Austin St is very bad on weekends due to double parkers & people waiting for parking as well! Weekdays it's not bad but it can get ugly & times!

Bx17 D: Probably the most off schedule line. Runs past too many schools along the entire length of the route. Recent route change a couple of years ago makes no sense.

Bx36/Bx36LTD C: Great idea but whoa, no additional equipment??? I often see artics during rush, these are most likely put ins???

Bx8 AA: This is probably the best line in terms of scenery and diversity of neighborhoods traveled but it is way too long.

I think the Bx17 route change did make sense since it filled a gap on St. Ann's Av. Before, riders there had to walk all the way to Willis Av or Southern Blvd for a north-south bus

Guest Charles
Lets see if I do agree:

Q23: I half agree, I know there is the Queens Blvd. choke point, but it is still very reliable due to it travelling and turning on a tight turn on Austin Ave. with minimal problems. The Austin section was pretty fast when I rode it, ;)! Lets make it a B- shall we...

I beg to differ...did you just say that Q23s travel through the Austin St/Continental Av turn with minimal problems? On Austin Street, drivers have to stop a good distance from the actual intersection to let the S/B Q23 complete its wide right turn from Continental onto Austin. When an ignorant driver ignores that sign and pulls up to the intersection, the bus won't be able to turn without hitting the parked cars. I don't know if I just happen to be one damn unlucky rider, because every time I'm on that S/B Q23, some driver ignores that sign. Mind you, I take that bus seven days a week, so it's not any better on weekends.

Guest Charles
Well, at least the bus manages to make that turn and can glide down Austin, it'll still be fine. I don't care about other cars really, I want to know how smooth the service is, :)!

The Bus Drivers on the Q23 are Pros, :)!

It does not glide down Austin...anyways they've started some construction on Burns St, making it even more difficult for buses to turn from Yellowstone; the lights there are horrible to begin with...rough days on the Q23...:)

I think the Bx17 route change did make sense since it filled a gap on St. Ann's Av. Before, riders there had to walk all the way to Willis Av or Southern Blvd for a north-south bus

St. Ann's portion is fine. This replicates the other original route that went southbound on Jackson Av. (raise your hands if you remember that one!).

Having the route turn east on E. 138th St. back to Southern Blvd/Bruckner instead of continuing south on St. Ann's is pretty silly (unless there exists a traffic problem reversing course between E. 136 St. ???).

Off topic: What purpose does the Bx33 serve? I very rarely see this line.

St. Ann's portion is fine. This replicates the other original route that went southbound on Jackson Av. (raise your hands if you remember that one!).

Having the route turn east on E. 138th St. back to Southern Blvd/Bruckner instead of continuing south on St. Ann's is pretty silly (unless there exists a traffic problem reversing course between E. 136 St. ???).

The Bx33 mainly serves 3 big purposes. First, it serves 135th Street in Harlem, filling a crosstown gap and serving as an alternative to the more crowded Bx19 (on 145th St) and Bx15/M60/M100/M101 (on 125th St). Second, it is a favorite with many elderly along 138th Street since (6) train stations along that street are not ADA accessible (the only (6) train station in the Bronx that is accessible is Pelham Bay Park). Lastly, since the Bx17 doesn't serve the eastern portion of Port Morris anymore, the Bx33 is the only option for those heading east of Bruckner Blvd.

Its main purpose was to bring people from the subway(s) to the industry out there in Pt. Morris... now that most of those workers drive (using company trucks or w/e), this route's importance pretty much died off....

From what I depict, the Bx33 accomplishes the task of bringing lil ole ladies back & forth to church.... lol....

• 3 weeks later...
Its main purpose was to bring people from the subway(s) to the industry out there in Pt. Morris... now that most of those workers drive (using company trucks or w/e), this route's importance pretty much died off....

From what I depict, the Bx33 accomplishes the task of bringing lil ole ladies back & forth to church.... lol....

Mostly yeah, it mostly helps the elderly heading to either church, Harlem Hospital, or the senior centers and projects in Mott Haven and Harlem.

I would give the BX3 a D because some of the drivers are rude and the route need artics:tdown:.The BX35 would be an F because buses show up whenever they want to.The people always enters through the back door to avoid paying their fare and the route is so bad that artics wouldn"t resolve the problem of crouded buses.The same for the Bx11 after Jerome Ave Westbound.The Bx18 would recive a C- because the buses run too early or too late.The Bx18 should run more frequently.The Bx18 should also have more NG's on the road.;)

I would give the BX3 a D because some of the drivers are rude and the route need artics:tdown:.The BX35 would be an F because buses show up whenever they want to.The people always enters through the back door to avoid paying their fare and the route is so bad that artics wouldn"t resolve the problem of crouded buses.The same for the Bx11 after Jerome Ave Westbound.The Bx18 would recive a C- because the buses run too early or too late.The Bx18 should run more frequently.The Bx18 should also have more NG's on the road.;)

I agree with everything you said on the Bx3, 11, 18, and 35. The Bx3's drivers are a tough bunch. However, so are most of the riders. With the new NGs, no one wants to move to the back of the bus or climb the two stairs. To make matters worse, the biggest crowds on that bus are from Bronx CC to Fordham Rd alone. The Bx12 SBS drops people off to take the Bx3 like the swine flu (similar to the 7 to N transfers at Queensboro Plaza).

As for the Bx11 and Bx35, the fact that they are crosstown routes in the South Bronx sucks. Traffic moves too slow, lights are synchronized to favor pedestrians at the expense of cars, bike lanes are slowing traffic down too much (along the Bx35), plus there are so many people at every stop. In addition, since they climb up/down hill at Grand Concourse, people get on downhill (whether it's Webster, Morris, or at Jerome) just to get off at the Concourse to not walk uphill.

Archived