Which elevated structure shakes the most

Nature

the (A) line between 80 St and Lefferts Blvd.

I dunno the J line seems pretty bad, from Woodhaven BLVD to 111 street shakes pretty bad for atleast 10 years. Today I was on a train at broadway Myrtle waiting for the M train to leave the station and the J train I was on was shaking like a leaf.

Whenever an R160 rolls over the Culver line at Avenue X the line shakes terribly. The cars are too heavy.

Any elevated line wherever a R160 train set rolls around.

I'd say the Brighton (Q) line between Brighton Beach and Coney Island

The (F) Culver Line between Ditmas Avenue and Coney Island

The Astoria (N)(W) line.

Was leaning on a pillar in the fare control area on the stadium side just in from the platform at mets willets point... waiting for my girlfriend to get something from her purse, train pulled in, and sure enough i could feel the pillar & whole floor move. Only swayed a few inches but you could feel it.

- A

At 174th Street on (2)(5) WPR, shakes the most, especially when the <5> is curving on M track fast.. Once a concrete truck went up a hill on 174th, which wasnt suppose to because of the EL height limit , then it bumped to the north bound side toward the east and it was stuck for like 20min, which shook the entire station hard as hell, cops came in to help.. Lucky it didnt caused disruption! Tho it was scary tho, Even the station agent was like WTF?? [Happened during the Spring of 2009]

At 125th Street on the (1) the station does shake a bit since the (1) slows down from coming fast toward the Bronx.. Being on a tall a*s el like that is scary when it shakes sometimes lol

Whenever an R160 rolls over the Culver line at Avenue X the line shakes terribly. The cars are too heavy.

R-160s seemed to be fairing well on the (N)(W)(J)(M)(Z)(L) and other elevated lines where they've been running for a while now. These elevated structures don't seem to have any problem handling R-160s and I BET they shake a lot less than they did at one time. Remember, BMT Elevateds ran BMT steels, 80/Hudson St to Lefferts had the 70(A)'s hallmark R-10s for years ... all of these cars were heavier than the R-160s and yet these structures are still standing.

To answer the original question, the Rockaway Line is probably in the worst shape due to the concrete.

I've only felt minimal shake while waiting for (N)(W) trains anywhere in Queens. The most I ever felt was about 3am at the 30th Ave station. When I still took the (7) to work from 45th Rd before they made the easy transfer from the (G) a pain in every ass possible, that platform is shakefest 2009. Not matter the time of year, wind condition or even if a train was coming or not. That platform shakes, rattles and for all I know it rolls as well. Tht said it's also one of my favorite stations to wait for a train at and steal some photos at.

Archived