M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even better, the Shinkansen 700 and E3 series!

Are the M8's going on the Harlem line or the New Haven lines?

Im not familiar with the train types on the Metro North. I am used to the train types on the LIRR and Subway.

LIRR has the M7's which are nice, and the subway has the modern R160's coming replacing those horrible R32 + R42's as we move into 2010.

M8's on the Metro North will be nice as well.

Are the M8's going on the Harlem line or the New Haven lines?

Im not familiar with the train types on the Metro North. I am used to the train types on the LIRR and Subway.

LIRR has the M7's which are nice, and the subway has the modern R160's coming replacing those horrible R32 + R42's as we move into 2010.

M8's on the Metro North will be nice as well.

The M8s will only operate on the New Haven unless there's a snow emergency in the future that requires extra trains on the Hudson or Harlem like once before with the M2s. Note that the difference between the M7A and M8 is that the M8 is compatible with both 750v DC (to GCT) and 12.5v AC/25 hz (on NEC) and has both collector shoes and pantographs.

The M8s will only operate on the New Haven unless there's a snow emergency in the future that requires extra trains on the Hudson or Harlem like once before with the M2s. Note that the difference between the M7A and M8 is that the M8 is compatible with both 750v DC (to GCT) and 12.5v AC/25 hz (on NEC) and has both collector shoes and pantographs.

It will be nice to see new cars in the tri state metro region from the NYC Subway to the LIRR to Metro North.

LIRR uses M3 + M7 now and will be getting M9 for extra service, then I assume more orders or another car to replace the M3s down the road.

Mass transit has gotten a lot more attention as of late. When thinking about the entirety of the MTA as an organization, seems like the breakdown and problematic pieces are old signalling systems and old cars.

Every day you see an MTA breakdown for signal issues in the subway although less car breakdowns now with the R32 + R42's finally getting removed from the system.

LIRR signals are pretty modern and new now. Am I correct to assume the last old signals are still at Jamaica and that will be replaced in Early 2010?

With the Valley Interlocking finally redone, seems like the system is much better.

Commuter rail in the northeastern United States is pretty good overall and should be better in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this is true because those M2s & 4s suck
I have to disagree with you on this one Rocky.Although they are old,the oldest have been around since 1972 which means that they ae well built trains.Believe me when you ride one of these old dogs on the new haven line going over 70 MPH:tup:But I respect your opinion.But I forgot you mentioned the M4 which is basically the same,but are built by Tokyu car corp of japan 1987.Yonger than the M2 and run in triplets.Only 54 of the triplet cars:(

I hope this is true because those M2s & 4s suck

I have to disagree with you on this one Rocky.Although they are old,the oldest have been around since 1972 which means that they ae well built trains.Believe me when you ride one of these old dogs on the new haven line going over 70 MPH:tup:But I respect your opinion.But I forgot you mentioned the M4 which is basically the same,but are built by Tokyu car corp of japan 1987.Yonger than the M2 and run in triplets.Only 54 of the triplet cars:(

I agree with St. Louis on this. Those railcars have been in service through several administrative changes, eight U.S. Presidents, multiple economic crises, millions of miles and abusive riders and only one GOH for most of the M2 fleet. And after talking to a locomotive engineer, apparently the general consensus is that the M2's still operate more smoothly than the M4's and M6's. Considering the amount of wear and tear they've encountered over the past 35+ years, I feel that they're in excellent condition. Try putting your personal vehicle through that kind of hell and see if it still runs as reliably as those cars do. While issues with climate control and other mechanical problems arise from time to time, they've been nothing but absolute workhorses and I'll be sad to see them go.