M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you guys think that they'll send some test trains through Hell's Gate anytime soon?

Why would they? These trains are for the New Haven line.

Actually, M8 testing will most likely occur via the Hell Gate and into NYP, although this probably will not occur anytime soon. Every capability of the M8 cars will ultimately be examined. Remember that the M8's cannot run on Amtrak's 12kV/25hz catenary system, so third rail would have to be used. However, third rail power has not yet been installed between the GATE and HAROLD interlockings, a 1.4-mile distance that runs roughly between the Sunnyside Yard and just north of the Hell Gate Bridge. Construction has been discussed for a while, as has conversion of the catenary system to 12.5kV/60hz system. If the third rail is laid down, it would most likely be an overrunning system. In addition, the first 50 M8 cars have not yet been retrofitted with overrunning third rail shoes, necessary to run west of HAROLD and into NYP. Thus, even if there was a third rail power source was available between the bridge and Sunnyside, the M8's would be unable to run into NYP.

Also remember that some (possibly all?) MNRR New Haven Line locomotive engineers are now qualified to run into NYP via the Hell Gate on the NJT equipment because of the Train to the Game program for Sunday football. And because NHL engineers must eventually receive qualification to operate the M8 equipment, this sort of move is not entirely out of the question.

Edited by Rutgers Tube

I hope they enter service soon.

These prototype cars MUST - and I can't stress that term enough - run 4,000 miles under their own propulsion during the testing phase TROUBLE-FREE. The current trouble-testing is mainly for purposes of adjusting the propulsion system and testing the brake system. From what I understand, production will not start until this initial testing period has ended and any issues have been addressed via equipment modifications, eliminations, augmentations, etc.

As far as subsequent deliveries are concerned, all cars must be tested, though I'm not 100% sure if these next batches will be run to death like these new kids on the tracks are. I'm inclined to say that future cars won't, and that this first test train is being run to death in order to establish the final design for the rest of the M8 fleet. Again, I'm not certain on that, but that's my understanding.

Going back to the 4,000 miles. . . . the test train is being run more or less every night. The mileage adds up pretty quickly. And while I'd like to have already been riding the M8's for a while now, I'd much rather practice patience for a short while longer while all of the kinks are being ironed out and the final product is worth the price tag and the long wait.

The bottom line is that there simply isn't a need to rush these trains into revenue service at this point. Hasty testing is a prime reason why a few fresh drops of oil found scattered throughout the New Haven Yard now becomes a fleet-wide replacement of defective yaw dampers in 2015.

hmmm, the propulsion sounds different... more like the Japanese EMU's over in japan..:cool:

They have the same Mitsubishi propulsion system as the M7s. Both the M8s and the M7s have the same harmonics in the AC propulsion, so the M8s should sound exactly like M7s do.

They have the same Mitsubishi propulsion system as the M7s. Both the M8s and the M7s have the same harmonics in the AC propulsion, so the M8s should sound exactly like M7s do.

should... but from the video (24 seconds to 30 seconds and then 42 to 50 seconds):

even though there wasn't any active acceleration or deceleration, i thing you can hear the propulsion system at a certain point... sounds like this-ish:

at least the acceleration part up to 20 kph...

should... but from the video (24 seconds to 30 seconds and then 42 to 50 seconds): (vid)

even though there wasn't any active acceleration or deceleration, i thing you can hear the propulsion system at a certain point... sounds like this-ish:

(vid)

at least the acceleration part up to 20 kph...

Sorry, shouldn't have said "should" B). It has been confirmed by a Metro North engineer that the M8s sound exactly like the M7s. lol

I saw this train on the Hudson Line last night at Yonkers Station. It was picking up some Japanese workers. I should've got a recording.

They wouldn't move those all the way to the Hudson Line. The M8s are strictly testing on the New Haven Line. I don't think they have even been out of Connecticut or New Haven Line Territory.

They wouldn't move those all the way to the Hudson Line. The M8s are strictly testing on the New Haven Line. I don't think they have even been out of Connecticut or New Haven Line Territory.

They've been seen @ Croton-Harmon resting. They test 3rd rail on the Hudson Line.

While they test as much as they can on the New Haven Line, and do training in New Haven itself, the Hudson line has less traffic then the New Haven Line does at night.

They've been seen @ Croton-Harmon resting. They test 3rd rail on the Hudson Line.

While they test as much as they can on the New Haven Line, and do training in New Haven itself, the Hudson line has less traffic then the New Haven Line does at night.

I already mentioned this early last week. GG - you even thanked the post that I'm referring to:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=287652&postcount=222

On the Hudson line?

Wow, I really wish I got a picture now. I was scratching my head wondering why a brand new New Haven line train was stopping through. It definitely was an interesting sight. If any of you want to take a trip to Yonkers in hopes of seeing the train, I saw the train around 10p on a Tuesday picking up workers.

I already mentioned this early last week. GG - you even thanked the post that I'm referring to:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=287652&postcount=222

I guess they didn't realize what line those stations were on, lol.

I stand corrected. I was forgeting all about the third rail testing.

Don't forget the clearance testing! They gotta run these trains everywhere, a couple of times for different things. Things such as testing announcements, LED displays, etc. as well.

Older pic of the clearance testing in ny - credit Clean Cab on Railroad.net

m8testtrainatmo.jpg