M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its the same Mitsubishi Propulsion package as the M7.

For the (I don't know how many times) it's not the same exact propulsion package, although it's from the same supplier. the M8's utilize Permanent magnet motors, while the M7's have conventional induction motors. there is a big technical and sound difference....

For the (I don't know how many times) it's not the same exact propulsion package, although it's from the same supplier. the M8's utilize Permanent magnet motors, while the M7's have conventional induction motors. there is a big technical and sound difference....
Ok I see.The only diff is the motor type.:tup:

M7

Mitsubishi Electric AC Traction Motors and IGBT inverters

M8

Mitsubishi Electric AC Permanent Magnet Traction Motors and IGBT inverters

Thanks Pal!!!

I do not think that M8 trains will be assigned on weekend/holiday runs when these cars start revenue service. When R160 started revenue service (NOT revenue service during the 30-day test), these cars were only assigned on the weekday runs on the (N). Don't expect that they will run on weekend. They may, but just don't expect it.

I do not think that M8 trains will be assigned on weekend/holiday runs when these cars start revenue service. When R160 started revenue service (NOT revenue service during the 30-day test), these cars were only assigned on the weekday runs on the (N). Don't expect that they will run on weekend. They may, but just don't expect it.

This isn't the subways. In the Railroad, everything's possible!

New update

The M8`s will not debut til February due to their permanent magnet motors disrupting signal operations.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Software-glitches-disrupt-signals-push-back-900772.php

Better that the M-8's 'minor' problems be found now in testing than what happened in the mid/late 1970's w/ (NYCT)subways and then 'new' R44/46's fleet of cars.

Better that the M-8's 'minor' problems be found now in testing than what happened in the mid/late 1970's w/ (NYCT)subways and then 'new' R44/46's fleet of cars.

Totally agreed... I can't wait for more comfy seating, cleaner lager bathroom and smoother ride.

The article mentioned these cars are the most complicated cars in North America? How so? Is it because they are AC and DC cars?

Totally agreed... I can't wait for more comfy seating, cleaner lager bathroom and smoother ride.

The article mentioned these cars are the most complicated cars in North America? How so? Is it because they are AC and DC cars?

They have to handle 2 voltages of catenary, plus LIRR over-running third rail, plus MN under-running third rail. However, the LIRR functionality isn't functional yet, and they have to install it. If it weren't for weight restrictions, they could've installed a 25hz transformer instead of the LIRR third rail functionality and run to Secaucus, not just NYP.

I was spoke to A conductor on the MNRR and he even said that the cars eat up way too much electricity and that they are too complicated.Remember they also dont run on DC motors;They run on AC permanent magnet motors,which are also problematic.

They have to handle 2 voltages of catenary, plus LIRR over-running third rail, plus MN under-running third rail. However, the LIRR functionality isn't functional yet, and they have to install it. If it weren't for weight restrictions, they could've installed a 25hz transformer instead of the LIRR third rail functionality and run to Secaucus, not just NYP.

Mechanically, if it can run to Penn, it can run to Secaucus. END OF STORY.

The only reason why it won't ever see Secaucus cuz it's a Metro-North trains and only MNs at Secaucus are 46 steps down from where an M8 could go.

Mechanically, if it can run to Penn, it can run to Secaucus. END OF STORY.

The only reason why it won't ever see Secaucus cuz it's a Metro-North trains and only MNs at Secaucus are 46 steps down from where an M8 could go.

NO!!! It runs to Secaucus not via catenary, but via LIRR third rail at where the frequency changes from 60hz to 25hz. It can only go as far as the NJ tunnel portal.

NO!!! It runs to Secaucus not via catenary, but via LIRR third rail at where the frequency changes from 60hz to 25hz. It can only go as far as the NJ tunnel portal.

NJT does not use third rail. And the M8s cannot run on LIRR's third rail. If it runs to Penn it will use catenary for power.