M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

M2 cars smell bad too. ugh. The odor from the bathroom reeks the whole train.

The M6's offer up the worst odoriferous emanations in the EMU fleet. However, I find a stinky shitter to hardly be a reason to retire a set of functional railcars, especially given the current plight that MNCR is facing.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been following this procurement on railroad.net for some time now, and I have to disagree with Shortline Bus. These cars are some of the most advanced machinery on the rails to date; they are capable of running off 750V DC third rail in two different positions and two different catenary voltages. They are also almost completely electronically controlled, and they are capable of working off ACSES and MNR cab signaling. With something this complex there are bound to be issues/glitches/complications, and (MTA) would rather delay their introduction into the commuter fleet than risk having to pull them out of service for an extended period of time once they begin replacing M2s.

Finally, a reasonable statement to contradict all of the whiners and nagging railphiles.

Do the people on this site piss and moan about the M8's not being in service yet because they commute back and forth for five or more days a week on the New Haven Line and have genuine beef with the current rolling stock, or does everyone just complain because they can't wait to get out there with their cameras and be the first ones to catch pictures and videos of the cars in revenue service?

CDOT and MNR are doing the right thing in testing and retesting every function and aspect of these cars before allowing fare-paying passengers on board. People love to hear themselves talk, and those who b***h about the M8's still not being in service would be the same people to complain if a premature introduction into revenue service leads to equipment being O/S'ed due to issues that may have been observed and mitigated with a bit more testing. No one is going to be completely happy until MNR pays them to ride the M8's.

The M6's offer up the worst odoriferous emanations in the EMU fleet. However, I find a stinky shitter to hardly be a reason to retire a set of functional railcars, especially given the current plight that MNCR is facing.

The M6s aren't being retired, Just the M2s. The M2s, as you can see, are not functioning well because of their age.

Finally, a reasonable statement to contradict all of the whiners and nagging railphiles.

Do the people on this site piss and moan about the M8's not being in service yet because they commute back and forth for five or more days a week on the New Haven Line and have genuine beef with the current rolling stock, or does everyone just complain because they can't wait to get out there with their cameras and be the first ones to catch pictures and videos of the cars in revenue service?

CDOT and MNR are doing the right thing in testing and retesting every function and aspect of these cars before allowing fare-paying passengers on board. People love to hear themselves talk, and those who b***h about the M8's still not being in service would be the same people to complain if a premature introduction into revenue service leads to equipment being O/S'ed due to issues that may have been observed and mitigated with a bit more testing. No one is going to be completely happy until MNR pays them to ride the M8's.

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

-Richard Feynman

-US educator & physicist (1918 - 1988)

I would fall under both. Take it at least once a week to New Haven.

Ah well, I guess I gotta pony up more and take Amtrak.

The M6s aren't being retired, Just the M2s. The M2s, as you can see, are not functioning well because of their age.

I didn't say that the 6's were being retired, though from what I hear, the CSR for the 4's and 6's might be scrapped, those classes retired while some of the 2's remain in service, even after the bulk of the new cars are running in revenue service. I was making a statement that the M-6's have the worst smelling toilets of the New Haven EMU's, but that no equipment should be sent to the Boneyard simply because of a foul-smelling bathroom.

I didn't say that the 6's were being retired, though from what I hear, the CSR for the 4's and 6's might be scrapped, those classes retired while some of the 2's remain in service, even after the bulk of the new cars are running in revenue service. I was making a statement that the M-6's have the worst smelling toilets of the New Haven EMU's, but that no equipment should be sent to the Boneyard simply because of a foul-smelling bathroom.

Or follow what I do. Use the bathroom at GCT or any other station right before boarding if you want to avoid that smell.:o

GCT Bathroom is even worse!!!

Copy that.

A six car EMU consist would have two or three toilets, hopefully all in service. They're scheduled to be cleaned on a daily basis at the minimum. On a typical day, those toilets may see less than 100 people; the fact that people would rather stress their bladders and rectums over holding their shirt over their nose and wiping a seat off or putting down a few strips of paper to sit on only serves to keep the number of uses as low as possible on the older cars.

Meanwhile, over at GCT, where there are two public large restrooms on the lower concourse, people enjoy to shit and piss all over the floor, toilets, stalls, walls, ceiling, doors, sinks, hand dryers, trash receptacles, attendants, themselves and each other. Need to take a tinkle during rush hour? Enter THAT dragon and you'll think you're at a Yankees' game.

Not for nothing, there shouldn't be anyone (without an excessive fear of germs) who lives in The Big Crapple that is such a primadonna when it comes to needing to use a public toilet. Anyone who would rather sacrifice his or her ability to rid his or her body of waste, shouldn't eat or wear a diaper.

Maybe we should rename the title of this from "New M8's is a go!!" to "New M8's a Failure"

I've been following this posting for a while with hopes of seeing the M8 come into service. Guess now all we'll have is hope and faith with these cars because I'm done waiting. Let it happen, my excitement on these cars has died....

Not so fast! It has been confirmed. Although delayed, they are still coming!!:cool:

(MTA) - This project will continue funding of the M-8 New Haven Line electric passenger car project (began in the 2005-2009 Capital Program) to complete the contractual agreement to purchase 300 M-8 cars to replace the M-2 fleet. Funding for additional M-8 cars to meet increased ridership demand is also included. This is a joint procurement with the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CDOT).

Not so fast! It has been confirmed. Although delayed, they are still coming!!:cool:

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I am happy to know these cars are being tested and will not see the day of commuter service until passed but with all the delays that has occurred, it just seems all unnecessary to have waited this long. Not to mention all the $ being wasted. Whom ever is at fault, I don't care. I just feel as if the building/testing and such could have been done better than it has.

I'm one of those who gets excited over seeing and riding the new equipment, maybe it's the technology and the fresh rides. Heck, the few times I've ride the LIRR line I feel excited over the M7's and I used to ride those trains everyday to commute to work and back.

Anyway, when I meant by my excitement for these cars has died, I meant that with all the hype of their release dates and proposed time frames has built me up for excitement; I would be disappointed when nothing would happen. I won't believe it until I see it.

The current stock is really fading. 8 out of 10 times I am on the train, something goes wrong. It is my opinion that I do not think they can stand another year if we get another winter next year as we had this year. Then again, I'm not a mechanic so what do I know.

I now return you to our regularly scheduled program.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
A 6 car M8 train might enter service on saturday on either the 9:32 or the 9:52 out of New Haven.

I know where you got that information, and while I'm not correct 100% of the time, that particular person has been spotted taking pictures of passing trains while standing up to his ankles in puddles of drool. So make sure you have a trailer to haul a mammoth grain of salt with you.

I did see a six-car consist heading eastbound through Stratford at about 4:40 am on Tuesday, probably doing 45 mph on 2 Track. I really don't think that a clean 4,000 miles have been logged already, and I'd be a bit surprised if one of those trains were chosen to introduce the new cars into passenger service. Both of those mid-morning trains are fairly brisk skip-stop runs that are virtual locks to push a six-car consist into SRO conditions. I can't see CDOT and Metro-North putting the M-8's into service to shuttle a three-ring (more like three-pair) circus from New Haven into the City.

Edited by Rutgers Tube

*UPDATE*

I spoke with a supervisor from RTC who rides in on the morning train that I take, and he told me that it's doubtful that the new cars will be introduced into passenger service this Saturday. However, I did hear that the cars have made it deep into the final testing process - something to the tune of 3,700 miles. I don't know how true that is, but that information did come from another employee. However, it's important to remember that the new railcars will NOT run in passenger service AT ALL until these crucial 4,000 miles are logged without a single issue. A problem-free 3,999 miles can be completed, but an equipment foul will force the test odometer to be reset.

Train crews are currently being qualified on the new equipment, so it seems as if the light at the end of the Park Avenue Tunnel might not be a train wreck after all. Good things happen to little boys and girls who wait. So, everyone should remain patient and hope for the best. Personally, I'm looking forward to the M-8's providing customers with a long life of safe and reliable service much more than than I care for an entry into revenue service in the very near future. But that's just me. :(

Edited by Rutgers Tube

*UPDATE*

I spoke with a supervisor from RTC who rides in on the morning train that I take, and he told me that it's doubtful that the new cars will be introduced into passenger service this Saturday. However, I did hear that the cars have made it deep into the final testing process - something to the tune of 3,700 miles. I don't know how true that is, but that information did come from another employee. However, it's important to remember that the new railcars will run in passenger service AT ALL until these crucial 4,000 miles are logged without a single issue. A problem-free 3,999 miles can be completed, but an equipment foul will force the test odometer to be reset.

Train crews are currently being qualified on the new equipment, so it seems as if the light at the end of the Park Avenue Tunnel might not be a train wreck after all. Good things happen to little boys and girls who wait. So, everyone should remain patient and hope for the best. Personally, I'm looking forward to the M-8's providing customers with a long life of safe and reliable service much more than than I care for an entry into revenue service in the very near future. But that's just me. :(

I keep my finger cross for regular NH line riders who deserve a 'reward' for the crappy 2010-'11 winter season that has dropped the availablity of the existing train fleet to bare bones.

My brother who works for Metro North told me the same thing. If this latest test of a new M-8 going 4,000 miles with no errors at all, as early as the start of March (he doubtful for this Saturday 2/26 but not impossible)the 1st cars could debut then.

Subject to change though.

I am of the opinion that their problems were overblown by the media, coupled with how long it takes a vehicle to travel 4,000 miles.

From New Haven to GCT, it would only take about 2 1/2 weeks to rack up 4,000 miles. Problem not the miles but making sure that things actually work, and not having to start all over again from zero.