M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
M8 has to operate with full cab at engineers end. FRA regulation do to firemans side window type, no passengers up front.

OK, but what about the area where the cab is open for people to walk through the cars? Are those windows locked?

Ha!! I knew some of those photos looked familiar.they're Fred's photos.:P Hes the reason some of us were able to catch the M8 yesterday.ALL HAIL FRED G.!!!!!

Actually the first to post revenue photos which are sweet!

However RR Net already had the M8 schedule the day before it started service, which i was the first to post this on youtube lol..

As for riding ill wait, just gonna let everyone get there shine, since i dont want to bump into tooo many people...

On the other hand gotta catch the SEPTA newest Silverliner 5s which also the newest fleets in the NE.

OK, but what about the area where the cab is open for people to walk through the cars? Are those windows locked?

If u mean crossing between cab where the engineers are not at then it ill most likely be open since the M7s has theres open, plus the cabs should be closed halfway regardless of crossing

The only cab that will be locked is the back and the front cabs. The ones in the middle of the train are locked in the SIGNLE cab position that allows passengers to walk through withought seeing the actual controls, just like the way M7s are.

http://ridgefield.patch.com/articles/inside-the-m-8-riding-metro-norths-new-train-video

The train will depart from New Haven at 6:24 a.m. and arrive at Grand Central Terminal at 8:06 a.m. (It won't be stopping in Darien, but if you commute from Stamford, it's the 7:16 a.m.)

Next, it will make an empty trip to Harrison, N.Y. and return to Grand Central again at 9:15 a.m. The train*will stay there during the day for the railroad to train engineers and conductors in its use.

Finally, it will leave Grand Central at 4:07 p.m. and arrive in New Haven at 5:54 p.m. (passing through Stamford at 4:52 p.m.).

This applies to today, tomorrow and Friday. Happy M8 hunting guys!

Don't believe that trip from Harrison. It never ran.

The only cab that will be locked is the back and the front cabs.

Will these be locked or do they have the ability to be opened by pushing on them like the M7A's. Last I knew any train could not be locked in the full cab position in the event of the need of emergency egress in the tunnels.

The M8s were on the 9:19 train out of Harrison today (they were on the 9:19 yesterday also). I rode them to New Rochelle. I will have pictures later on today.

You sure they ran yesterday on the 9:19? I was on a Stamford train and I didn't get to Harrison until 9:40 and I didn't see it that day. (and yes, I was looking out the side window)

Will these be locked or do they have the ability to be opened by pushing on them like the M7A's. Last I knew any train could not be locked in the full cab position in the event of the need of emergency egress in the tunnels.

Well yeah but you will get into trouble doing that

You sure they ran yesterday on the 9:19? I was on a Stamford train and I didn't get to Harrison until 9:40 and I didn't see it that day. (and yes, I was looking out the side window)

I am pretty sure they were on the 9:19 yesterday. The 9:19 starts at Harrison.

On the train I was on from Tuesday, car 1 and 2 were not open to passengers but the doors between 1, 2 and 3 were unlocked for the staff to pass through.

Actually the first to post revenue photos which are sweet!

However RR Net already had the M8 schedule the day before it started service, which i was the first to post this on youtube lol..

As for riding ill wait, just gonna let everyone get there shine, since i dont want to bump into tooo many people...

On the other hand gotta catch the SEPTA newest Silverliner 5s which also the newest fleets in the NE.

If u mean crossing between cab where the engineers are not at then it ill most likely be open since the M7s has theres open, plus the cabs should be closed halfway regardless of crossing

The only cab that will be locked is the back and the front cabs. The ones in the middle of the train are locked in the SIGNLE cab position that allows passengers to walk through withought seeing the actual controls, just like the way M7s are.

I think Homeball answered my question. I was referring to that left side window in the cab; where there are no controls.

Well yeah but you will get into trouble doing that

I'm not doubting you would get into trouble. I just know from experience that all the end doors of all the other types of cars have no locking mechanisms and I'm guessing that the M8's are no exception. The barrel end doors can be latched, but not locked. The only way the cab door can be positively locked is when cab door is closed half cab.