M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again the 4:07 out of GCT today was an M8, track 18. I spotted a few buffs in the front of the train 20 minutes before it departed.

And some of them missed the train on its trip from New Haven :)

My official review of the M8:

Overall, I was impressed with the M8. The ride is very smooth, the seats are somewhat comfortable (though the headrest are still too hard), and there are outlets. Aesthetically, however, I wasn't impressed. The M8 isn't known for its beauty. There was a lot of hype about the M8, but it's essentially a M7a with red paint. The M8 is definitely an improvement over the current rolling stock of the New Haven line, but it's definitely not the best commuter rail car out there. I'm sure the Silverliner V (which I'll likely ride on Monday) is the better model.

My official review of the M8:

Overall, I was impressed with the M8. The ride is very smooth, the seats are somewhat comfortable (though the headrest are still too hard), and there are outlets. Aesthetically, however, I wasn't impressed. The M8 isn't known for its beauty. There was a lot of hype about the M8, but it's essentially a M7a with red paint. The M8 is definitely an improvement over the current rolling stock of the New Haven line, but it's definitely not the best commuter rail car out there. I'm sure the Silverliner V (which I'll likely ride on Monday) is the better model.

I've heard many say the Silverliner Vs are lemons,but from what I see on videos,they are very fast.They should have a Silveliner V and a M8 race on the NE corridor.:tup:

Will the train run on weekends ;)...

Eventually, Yes. A few months from now fans are gonna be complaining about the entire NH line being nothing but M8s on weekends and the lack M2/4/6s running on weekends lol, slimar to how fans complain about lack of M3s in service on weekends over at the LIRR.

Eventually, Yes. A few months from now fans are gonna be complaining about the entire NH line being nothing but M8s on weekends and the lack M2/4/6s running on weekends lol, slimar to how fans complain about lack of M3s in service on weekends over at the LIRR.

Thank you.

Disregarding self-promotion, that's the primary reason that I started the M2/M4/M6 status thread. People have been drooling over the M8's like a dog staring at a steak and complaining about the older New Haven equipment. As soon as the Boneyard starts filling up with M2's, watch for the tides to turn and the pictures to be posted.

Thank you.

Disregarding self-promotion, that's the primary reason that I started the M2/M4/M6 status thread. People have been drooling over the M8's like a dog staring at a steak and complaining about the older New Haven equipment. As soon as the Boneyard starts filling up with M2's, watch for the tides to turn and the pictures to be posted.

Happens every time.

The only thing I need to do next is ride the M8s, but after that I could care less about the rest of the order. I never even followed the M7 order when they were delivered.

Ive heard New Arrows might be ordered later this decade for lines > MSU , Gladstone and NJCL.... Hopefully NJT orders a sleek looking fleet....

I agree! I hope the Arrow IV's are single level MUs, and have A RFW like the SL-Vs do lol, I know the first set of seats in the first car is roped off on the SL-Vs, from what I read the second and third seats still offer a nice view. Not really a fan of the Arrow IIIs, they look nice, they was built by Budd and have a great sounding horn its just the seats on those things, I honestly think that if they had more pleasant seating for tall people like myself, I would be a fan of them!

But last I heard the replacement for the Arrow IIIs are gonna be multilevel, its unknown whether they will be Push Pulls or MU's though, I'm hoping for the latter, as more Push Pull multilevels would be boring.

I agree! I hope the Arrow IV's are single level MUs, and have A RFW like the SL-Vs do lol, I know the first set of seats in the first car is roped off on the SL-Vs, from what I read the second and third seats still offer a nice view. Not really a fan of the Arrow IIIs, they look nice, they was built by Budd and have a great sounding horn its just the seats on those things, I honestly think that if they had more pleasant seating for tall people like myself, I would be a fan of them!

But last I heard the replacement for the Arrow IIIs are gonna be multilevel, its unknown whether they will be Push Pulls or MU's though, I'm hoping for the latter, as more Push Pull multilevels would be boring.

Well Running Double Deckers is very expensive so only lines that will use them are busy lines. Like the Raritan Valley , NJCL (to a smaller extent) , M&E and NEC.... Running them on the other lines is expensive and NJT knows this so form what i heard a smaller batch of EMU's with be ordered....

Hopefully something like this....with less doors of course , but a closed EMU set not like legos...

800px-JR_EAST_E231-1000_U541.jpg

Thank you.

Not all people, mainly people who are not even railroad buff are drooling.. but pretending to be one(Very Limited peeps).. The fact is a lot of them don't know nothing but just M1 thru M8 or just the whole M series.. and select LIRR/MNR equipment which is nothing. People aren't even drooling over the new F40 repaint on the MNR WOH... But are to the M8.. Even tho u dont have to drool for everything.. Well thats becuz they are NOT railroad buffs just plain under the tube buffs..

I asked one guy what was the last MNR Locomotive order and he told me "The Cannon ball double decker".. No! Its the BL20s. They dont know whats that...

Now for those who really wanna know railroads outside of MTA(And or both) and move on from subways(But maintain or not) then i congratz them, otherwise idk.

As for foaming over the M8s.. Im not into rush to get a ride, even tho i plan for next week due to a ticket thats about to expire. I still 20 yrs plus to enjoy them! My focus is the M2s and M4s and equipments around that ill end up being kicked off in the future such as the AEM-7 and Shoreliner I/II. My last catch for being kicked out where NJT Comet IB (Arrow I) which were sent to Cal via Lake Shore LTD in Jan.

Edited by mark1447

Not all people, mainly people who are not even railroad buff are drooling.. but pretending to be one(Very Limited peeps).. The fact is a lot of them don't know nothing but just M1 thru M8 or just the whole M series.. People aren't even drooling over the new F40 repaint on the MNR WOH... But are to the M8.. Even tho u dont have to drool for everything.. Well thats becuz they are NOT railroad buffs just plain under the tube buffs..

I asked one guy what was the last MNR Locomotive order and he told me "The Cannon ball double decker".. No! Its the BL20s. They dont know whats that...

Now for those who really wanna know railroads and move on from subways(But maintain) then i congratz them, otherwise idk.

As for foaming over the M8s.. Im not into rush to get a ride, even tho i plan for next week due to a ticket thats about to expire. I still 20 yrs plus to enjoy them! My focus is the M2s and M4s and equipments around that ill end up being kicked off in the future such as the AEM-7 and Shoreliner I/II. My last catch for being kicked out where NJT Comet IB (Arrow I) which were sent to Cal via Lake Shore LTD in Jan.

The Cannonball Double Decker is the Kawasaki C3s on the LIRR, which runs with the locomotive that is the logo of the railroad forum here on NYCTF lol. They run on all diesel LIRR services but the Cannonball is a super express train to the hamptons that only runs on Fridays from ethier LIC or NYP to the Hamptons during the summer.

The Cannonball Double Decker is the Kawasaki C3s on the LIRR, which runs with the locomotive that is the logo of the railroad forum here on NYCTF lol. They run on all diesel LIRR services but the Cannonball is a super express train to the hamptons that only runs on Fridays from ethier LIC or NYP to the Hamptons during the summer.

C3 came in after 1999 as well. Pus theres only one Cannonball with the sign, even tho there is the same service ever year long.

C3 came in after 1999 as well. Pus theres only one Cannonball with the sign, even tho there is the same service ever year long.

The real Cannonball train refers to the super express train to Montauk that leaves on the Friday before a major holiday. That's Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day I believe. It only make its one stop in Jamaica before Montauk.

20110306151121-0e57b383.jpg