M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

The real Cannonball train refers to the super express train to Montauk that leaves on the Friday before a major holiday. That's Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day I believe. It only make its one stop in Jamaica before Montauk.

~~

I already know that. But there is a regular Montauk express service that also does the same run as the Cannonball. Last yr it did runs ever friday. Till a week after Labor day.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My official review of the M8:

Overall, I was impressed with the M8. The ride is very smooth, the seats are somewhat comfortable (though the headrest are still too hard), and there are outlets. Aesthetically, however, I wasn't impressed. The M8 isn't known for its beauty. There was a lot of hype about the M8, but it's essentially a M7a with red paint. The M8 is definitely an improvement over the current rolling stock of the New Haven line, but it's definitely not the best commuter rail car out there. I'm sure the Silverliner V (which I'll likely ride on Monday) is the better model.

They look good!! Youtube vids I've seen Silverliner V's are HOT! They even have a RFW

They look good!! Youtube vids I've seen Silverliner V's are HOT! They even have a RFW

The seat facing the RFW has been roped off for safety concerns, but of course you can still sit in the second row and look out the RFW!

The Multi-level EMU would be the same height of a non muti-level EMU....it would look like a MBTA single level - Multi level train. Why would it be any taller? A mixed train is better because it has both high and low capacities.... Japan makes most of there trains like that , because off peak its expensive to run double Deckers...other agencies like MARC , MBTA and Metro do that aswell for there push - pulls. As you can see form the photo its not much taller then the real train.... same if you look at MBTA or MARC....but EMU's use that design for mixed trains...

The real Cannonball train refers to the super express train to Montauk that leaves on the Friday before a major holiday. That's Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day I believe. It only make its one stop in Jamaica before Montauk.

No, it stops at Hunterspoint, Jamaica, Westhampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amangasett (sp?), and Montauk.

No, it stops at Hunterspoint, Jamaica, Westhampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amangasett (sp?), and Montauk.

It doesn't stop in Hunterspoint. How will it reach Hunterspoint if it starts at Penn? That would be nuts if it had to go like that.

It stops in: Penn, Jamaica, Babylon, Westhampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amagansett and Montauk.

It doesn't stop in Hunterspoint. How will it reach Hunterspoint if it starts at Penn? That would be nuts if it had to go like that.

It stops in: Penn, Jamaica, Babylon, Westhampton, Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amagansett and Montauk.

Actually it starts at LIC/Hunterspoint as well. Not sure about Penn

You're right. Actually there are 2 starting points:

At Hunterspoint Avenue: The Cannonball train departs at 4:06 PM. Please walk forward to the first cars of the train.

At Penn Station: A special connecting Montauk train departs at 3:58 PM. Please walk to the middle of the train for a smooth transition to a seat on the Cannonball at Jamaica.

Hmmm the 1st stop is Hunterspoint Avenue not Penn Station.....diesels do not enter/leave Penn Station unless for a cleaning or something else!

Then why does the MTA-website says it starts at Penn Station?

Btw, diesels do enter Penn. What to think of the regular Montauk-train and Port Jefferson?

Ah what I meant as train do not stop to pick up passengers @ Penn Station.

(MTA) website are wrong sometimes and a regular Montauk train still ends @ Hunterspoint Avenue or Long Island City..... regular Port Jefferson trains ends @ Hicksville and start from Hunterspoint Avenue/Long Island City during rush hours!

Well, I also heard from an other person who lives on Long Island that the Cannonball do starts at Penn. He uses the LIRR every day and keeps track of failures and such, so I'm 100% sure he is right about the Cannonball.

Also, numerous websites say that the Cannonball starts at Penn, so if it doesn't start there, then all those websites are wrong. I HIGHLY doubt that.

Do we know when the M-8s will be running this weekend (or recall when they did last weekend)? I'd like to take one from Grand Central.

Thanks.

I can't confirm anything definite for this weekend, and even the last few days have seen some variance in the assigned runs. A source informed me that this first M8 consist will be bounced throughout the schedule to experience different runs, times, passenger loads, weather conditions (I don't think that they'd run in anything too extreme) and I'm guessing with different qualified crews so as to break them in and to thoroughly test their capabilities under real-world conditions. That seems to make sense given that even passenger demographics can have an impact on the rest of the order to an extent.

There's a chance that a second consist may enter passenger service sometime next week. I'm not sure of the number of cars or what it's schedule will be when it does carry passengers, whether it's next week or further into the future. The snow hasn't really been a factor during the past few weeks, which has helped the testing process move along swimmingly. Metro-North and CDOT are making some great strides in rolling these cars out, and I'm guessing that we may also see the 25 kV testing out east of New Haven ensue sometime this spring or early summer. That should make for some interesting pictures, since it's not all that often that Metro-North EMU's run under their own propulsion east of CP 274 CHAPEL.

The second consist should enter passenger service by the middle of this week. I've seen two separate trains in test runs during the past week: six cars on one, eight on another. I believe that the eight-long trainset began its test phase first, so I'm guessing that's the one that we'll see. I'm don't know that for certain though.

Have fun.

Interesting question.Anyone have any Idea if the remainder of the 38 M8 cars that are made At Kawasaki's Kobe Japan facility are still in Japan? Since the Earthquake,it has halted a lot of auto manufacturing out there and I know that Kawasaki made 38 M8 cars exclusively in Japan while the rest are made in the U.S.Any answer to this?