M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

38 extra M8s (some of them being bar cars) is not enough to retire every M4 and M6....

Don't know where you're getting that, but last time I checked, 380 M8 cars certainly replaces 346 cars..... (244 M2s + 48 M4s + 54 M6s), and now the count is up to 405 M8s. Hopefully they exercise the option and bring it up to 430 cars. That would be nice.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know where you're getting that, but last time I checked, 380 M8 cars certainly replaces 346 cars..... (244 M2s + 48 M4s + 54 M6s), and now the count is up to 405 M8s. Hopefully they exercise the option and bring it up to 430 cars. That would be nice.

Shore Line east is getting M8s as well

Shore Line east is getting M8s as well

SLE will not see M8s for several years. Their stations have to be converted to high level platforms and the whole order must be completed as well. Also after this is complete, many tests will have to be done. So don't get excited after that so fast.:P

SLE will not see M8s for several years. Their stations have to be converted to high level platforms and the whole order must be completed as well. Also after this is complete, many tests will have to be done. So don't get excited after that so fast.:(

we wont see all the M8s for several years at the rate this is going. And I only made mention of that because I believe they will keep the M6 cars and possibly some M4s because they are going to need em, when you factor the M8 totals after subtracting about 60 of them for SLE.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on the M8s twice to date. Most recent trip was GCT to Fairfield Metro (11 March 2012, #6552), and I think I can understand

Trains stopping at Fairfield Metro still do not have announcements programmed for Fairfield Metro. As far as they know, there's no station between Fairfield (Unquowa Rd) and Bridgeport.

I've been on the M8s twice to date. Most recent trip was GCT to Fairfield Metro (11 March 2012, #6552), and I think I can understand
Trains stopping at Fairfield Metro still do not have announcements programmed for Fairfield Metro. As far as they know, there's no station between Fairfield (Unquowa Rd) and Bridgeport.

It's announced though

• 3 weeks later...

By the driver. And he has to correct the erroneous announcement "This station is Fairfield. This is the train to New Haven. The next station is Bridgeport."

There is no "driver" on the trains, the person operating the train is called the engineer. Regardless, he (or she) does not make announcements. If there is a problem with the ASI (automated system) all announcements are made my the conductor (or assistant conductor).

• 4 weeks later...

There is no "driver" on the trains, the person operating the train is called the engineer. Regardless, he (or she) does not make announcements. If there is a problem with the ASI (automated system) all announcements are made my the conductor (or assistant conductor).

Well obviously you know what I meant.

• 2 weeks later...

The driver is actually refereed to as a Train Operator

An engineer is a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or public works :P.

An engineer is a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or public works :P.

No, an engineer is also the person who drives/operates trains on the national railroad network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_engineer - note that it mentions train operator, but only as an a.k.a.

No, an engineer is also the person who drives/operates trains on the national railroad network.

http://en.wikipedia....ilroad_engineer - note that it mentions train operator, but only as an a.k.a.

Notice the article is on Railroad Engineers. Not Engineers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer

BACK ON TOPIC. Is it only me or are some of you guys pissed that the M8s are red on the front. I expected blue.

Imagine green ones for the Hudson line.

There would never be green for the Hudson Line. Currently there are only two colors for the trains. Red for CT, blue for everything else. This is not to say you don't see red on the H and H or blue in CT (primarily with the bom sets).

Metro North does not employ train operators. Their title is Locomotive Engineer. Even if the are not operating from a locomotive in its true form, the lead car of a train is considered a locomotive. If you called one a train operator you could expect an argument.

Colors:

Blue - East of Hudson (Hudson/Harlem Line(s)).

Red - Connecticut (New Haven/New Canaan Line(s))

*Diesel Service North of Croton-Harmon on Hudson, SouthEast on Harlem, Danbury Branch and Waterbury Branch in Connecticut (M# series cannot go on those lines...

Seeing that in Line colors Blue = Harlem , Red = NH, Green = Hudson..

I wonder if they ever thought of a Green coloring for its EMUs on Hudson?