M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

Seeing that in Line colors Blue = Harlem , Red = NH, Green = Hudson..

I wonder if they ever thought of a Green coloring for its EMUs on Hudson?

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be cost efficient, and basically it's like saying that EMU is locked to that line. I think the Blue is good enough and cost efficient. Perhaps, FRA rules might also come in but I am not 100% sure about that...

Anyways, I think we should go back to discussing the M8's and the Connecticut Lines.

Edited by KeystoneRegional

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

One thing I don't get about the USA is why everyone is always nitpicking about how to call someone that operates on a train or subway...

Well, the truth is that the railroad tests are much stricter and harder than the subway, you have to know a lot of specifics and details to enter into the Railroads, it's like studying for a qualification to Stuyvesant High School instead of your local high school [in my case, perhaps Forest Hills High or Jamaica High because my BOE district line is awkward]. That is why Railroad T/O's are called Train Engineers or Engineers because they know how to operate on a moving train and in a train yard. They might not know as much as the guy who builds and maintains the engine, however they know a hell of a lot more than any of us. This is not just the USA, it's also in Canada and Europe, in fact in Asia, the Train Engineer is one of the most highly respected [and maybe coveted] job in the entire job industry, so it's premium and it takes a lot of time and energy to study for this job.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

M8 Program overview and update

-Base contract of 210 cars, and option 1 for 90 additional cars was awarded on August 21, 2006

-Additional options were exercised for 42 and 38 cars respectively

-Pilot testing of cars on Shoreline East service is set to ramp up this month

-Acceptance of the original 380 cars is expected in December, which is just under 6 months behind schedule.

-Acceptance of 25 single car configuration remains on-time and scheduled for completion by August 2016

• 5 months later...

Here's the full video clip showing the exterior of the car and a quick walk through of the interior of the car while at Grand Central Terminal, and then the ride from Grand Central to Stamford, with an unscheduled stop at Harlem - 125th Street to let a passenger who got on the wrong train off. The ride quality is so-so for a brand new car, but overall, very quiet (since the car is unpowered; has no traction motors / traction equipment). Happy hunting folks ;)

It's smart to have the single cars on New Canaan branch service. Run the shuttles at 5 cars and it frees up a pair of cars that can be used elsewhere.

So all the M2/4/6 will be gone once all the single cars (and IINM there's supposed to be a couple of replacement cars too but not sure) come or will they be gone before that?

It's smart to have the single cars on New Canaan branch service. Run the shuttles at 5 cars and it frees up a pair of cars that can be used elsewhere.

So all the M2/4/6 will be gone once all the single cars (and IINM there's supposed to be a couple of replacement cars too but not sure) come or will they be gone before that?

Seems like it, but we can't be sure. There is a total of at least 70 active M2/4/6 cars still on the roster, and there are only 25 total singles coming in... I get the feeling that they're being kept for other reasons.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder when they will start using M8s on the SLE?

The only recent thing I could find was this: "The [Conn]DOT is also working to expand the New Haven Line’s M8 railcar usage to New London." From here: http://foxct.com/2015/05/20/rail-advocates-turn-attention-to-southeastern-connecticut/

Seems they just started.. Testing at least  

Edited by RailRunRob

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...