M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So basically they are modern version of M2? Whats wrong with 3rd rail? Why cant they use it in CT? Seems like a most convenient way for electric trains to operate.

Well why pay billions to add third rails when you already have the catenaries to use? The NEC is all catenary.

Does each and every set go through months of testing, or just the very first one?

Yes I believe so. Because they are carrying people, the MNRR must make sure everything works on the train. It's the same thing with the subway cars. Alstom(which produces the R160s) has their own testing facility somewhere in upstate NY where testing is done on every car that comes out of the factory. So the NYCTAs job is done for them already.

Yes I believe so. Because they are carrying people, the MNRR must make sure everything works on the train. It's the same thing with the subway cars. Alstom(which produces the R160s) has their own testing facility somewhere in upstate NY where testing is done on every car that comes out of the factory. So the NYCTAs job is done for them already.
Alstom`s facility s in hornell and I believe they have a 1 mile test track for all types of rail equipment.

the manufacturer may test their products but the MTA does the same. And more. remember, unlike older fleets, these new ones now have to be programmed and tested to make sure their automatic stop announcement are working properly. like when we saw 160s first arriving and they were running "simulated" runs by opening doors opposite of the platforms. Once everything seems ok, brakes, propulsion, etc, then they must run in revenue for a specific amount of time WITHOUT a mechanical problem. i believe its 30 days for the subway. im assuming its longer for the railroads

the manufacturer may test their products but the MTA does the same. And more. remember, unlike older fleets, these new ones now have to be programmed and tested to make sure their automatic stop announcement are working properly. like when we saw 160s first arriving and they were running "simulated" runs by opening doors opposite of the platforms. Once everything seems ok, brakes, propulsion, etc, then they must run in revenue for a specific amount of time WITHOUT a mechanical problem. i believe its 30 days for the subway. im assuming its longer for the railroads

I want to say that I read something from the Connecticut Commuter Rail Council stating that initial testing can take approximately three months, and basically consists of running the railcars at all speeds in all directions at all locations in all conditions, basically to test the limits of the new equipment. I would imagine that once the initial delivery is pushed hard and no issues have be noted, the subsequently-ordered railcars won't require as rigorous of a testing period, though I'm not certain about that. Please remember that these are the first new cars on the New Haven line in 15 years, and are a radical departure from the current rolling stock, so testing the first batch delivered is crucial.

I'm interested to see how the updated catenary system holds up.

On a somewhat-related note, does anyone know if ATC cab signalling identical to the M2/4/6's is being used?

On the history channel they said that the facility is dedicated to the R160 but idk
Dedicated in terms of how much money this order is making them:p But I believe the Lapa Brazil body facility and the Hornell N.Y facility do other rail cars and other equipment.Maybe what they meant by that is that they may have re-tooled their facility to specifically handle the R160 Order.Isn`t it crazy that Kawasaki is the head of the r160 project!!! which is why Alstom R160s are riding on Kawasaki trucks.Im telling you Kawasaki are running things and not just trains either.

Dedicated in terms of how much money this order is making them:p But I believe the Lapa Brazil body facility and the Hornell N.Y facility do other rail cars and other equipment.Maybe what they meant by that is that they may have re-tooled their facility to specifically handle the R160 Order.Isn`t it crazy that Kawasaki is the head of the r160 project!!! which is why Alstom R160s are riding on Kawasaki trucks.Im telling you Kawasaki are running things and not just trains either.

I think you're right because if I owned Alstom I wouldn't spend money on a facility that is eventually gonna stop making R160s once the order is complete. So they must be doing other things there as well.

On a somewhat-related note, does anyone know if ATC cab signalling identical to the M2/4/6's is being used?

They are using cab signaling similar or the same to the M7 I believe but it will also be programed to along Amtrak.

Greg is correct, the M8's have the same cab signals as the M7, but also are equipped with Amtraks ACSES or whatever the initials are. From the pictures I have seen of the cabs, they are identical to the M7's except for the headlight switch being lowered, the addition to the Amtrak cabs, and the changover switch for AC/DC.

Also, all cars will have to run thru the test period.

Greg is correct, the M8's have the same cab signals as the M7, but also are equipped with Amtraks ACSES or whatever the initials are. From the pictures I have seen of the cabs, they are identical to the M7's except for the headlight switch being lowered, the addition to the Amtrak cabs, and the changover switch for AC/DC.

Also, all cars will have to run thru the test period.

Thats cool that you got to see the cab! are those pics online?

I want to say that I read something from the Connecticut Commuter Rail Council stating that initial testing can take approximately three months, and basically consists of running the railcars at all speeds in all directions at all locations in all conditions, basically to test the limits of the new equipment. I would imagine that once the initial delivery is pushed hard and no issues have be noted, the subsequently-ordered railcars won't require as rigorous of a testing period, though I'm not certain about that. Please remember that these are the first new cars on the New Haven line in 15 years, and are a radical departure from the current rolling stock, so testing the first batch delivered is crucial.

That's what I think, too.

Im sure they'll hold up well. even though Acela Express is limited to 90mph on metro-north's tracks, they sem to be running with it well.

Im curious how the M8's will work with Amtraks catenary south of New Rochelle for proposed Penn Sta service.