M-8 Discussion

St Louis Car 09

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All Penn Station NY tracks and tunnels have both 3rd rail and catenary.

I was under the impression that 17-21 Tracks are third-rail ONLY, while the remaining tracks are equipped with both third rail and overhead catenary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I went to New Haven on Saturday and while I was there, I was able to see the new M8 trains. With the exception of that "eye" on the top of the front of the train, it looks great. The red and black together are hot. I really look forward to riding these trains when they go into passenger service.

I went to New Haven on Saturday and while I was there, I was able to see the new M8 trains. With the exception of that "eye" on the top of the front of the train, it looks great. The red and black together are hot. I really look forward to riding these trains when they go into passenger service.
You saw them in the yard, right?

Otto Vondrak on Railroad.NET caught the test train at Harrison.

Catch the pics here.

I can't decide whether they're stunning or ugly, because they sure are both.

I was under the impression that 17-21 Tracks are third-rail ONLY, while the remaining tracks are equipped with both third rail and overhead catenary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Next time you're there, take a look for yourself. All tracks have both systems so that in case of an emergency or if one of the lines is knoked out, trains can arrive and depart from any platform ie Amtrak from an LIRR platform or vice versa, as is done regularly on 13-16.

I wanted to post this last week when it originally occurred, but I wanted to get a video before I made any comments. Who knows when I'll get that chance again.

Around 4:00 am last Tuesday morning at Stratford, I walked under the Main Street overpass to head up to the 3 Track platform when I heard an unfamiliar sound in this neck of the woods. Not an M2, M4 or M6, nor was it a diesel locomotive, and it was definitely not an Acela or P40DC, P42DC, P32AC-DM, HHP-8, AEM-7AC or any Amtrak equipment. It sounded like an M7, and had it not been for the MNRR engineer with whom I was walking, I would have only quessed that it was a train of M8's headed toward New Haven.

I sprinted up the stairs to the platform, but I was able to catch only the last pair of the six-car consist, which had to be cruising east on 2 Track at all of 45 mph or more. And yes, because the M8's are equipped with the same Mitsubishi propulsion system that the M7/A's are equipped with, the sounds are almost indistinguishable. The lights on the head end are bright as all hell, and the consist was shiny, shimmery, and aching for abusive and arrogant commuters to begin their assault.

I know that the M8's have been testing in this area overnight quite often as of late, and if I can catch footage, I'll definitely post it.

I wanted to post this last week when it originally occurred, but I wanted to get a video before I made any comments. Who knows when I'll get that chance again.

Around 4:00 am last Tuesday morning at Stratford, I walked under the Main Street overpass to head up to the 3 Track platform when I heard an unfamiliar sound in this neck of the woods. Not an M2, M4 or M6, nor was it a diesel locomotive, and it was definitely not an Acela or P40DC, P42DC, P32AC-DM, HHP-8, AEM-7AC or any Amtrak equipment. It sounded like an M7, and had it not been for the MNRR engineer with whom I was walking, I would have only quessed that it was a train of M8's headed toward New Haven.

I sprinted up the stairs to the platform, but I was able to catch only the last pair of the six-car consist, which had to be cruising east on 2 Track at all of 45 mph or more. And yes, because the M8's are equipped with the same Mitsubishi propulsion system that the M7/A's are equipped with, the sounds are almost indistinguishable. The lights on the head end are bright as all hell, and the consist was shiny, shimmery, and aching for abusive and arrogant commuters to begin their assault.

I know that the M8's have been testing in this area overnight quite often as of late, and if I can catch footage, I'll definitely post it.

That probably was an exhilarating experience! I would've ran up to the platform do fast....I know I would trip on the stairs and bust my a**. I guess I'm that much of a MNRR foamer!

From what I understand, the test consist (I'm not sure how many cars were in the consist) was doing runs between Harmon and CP 25 "OW" interlocking just south of the Tarrytown station. It was scheduled to leave the Harmon yard this past weekend, and word on the street - or tracks :P - is that the train was doing test dumps and end switches in Harrison last night.

* UPDATE *

I just caught the full eight-car consist headed east on 2 Track through Stratford at about 4:25 am. The eastbound MAS through that section of trackage is 60 mph, and you best believe that the train was running every last bit of that. I was about to board my own train and didn't have my phone ready, but the look on the faces of my fellow commuters was worth the $2.5 million per railcar. I'm going to try my hardest to get a clip of the testing, since I've yet to see one anywhere on the internet, though I also haven't really looked that much either.

Interestingly enough, they were running with the ditch lights and the white headlights on at both ends, including the headlights on at the rear end of the train in place of the typical red marker lights. My guess is that this is either because the train was not being used in revenue service and the lights were purposely left on or because the test crew forgot to make the change during the aforementioned end switch testing. Also, MNRR has their own set of operating rules, which, for the most part, is fairly consistent with GCOR and NORAC, and neither explicitly state that red aspects must be used as rear marker lights when operating in passenger service. The only color that will never be used as for markers is blue, the protection signal indicating workers on, under or between equipment, as described in NORAC Rule 16 and GCOR Rule 5.13.

FYI for all interested parties.: GCOR 5.9.4, 5.9.5, 5.10.1 and 5.10.2 and NORAC Rules 22a, 22b, 24a, 24b, 24c and 24d pertain to the use of marker lights.

Edited by Rutgers Tube
correct information