Which bus routes would you eliminate?

S78 via Hylan

Staten Island: I would eliminate the S67 for the following reasons:

(1) Only runs during rush hours

(2) rarely crowded bus routes

Alternatives: S44, S57, S61, S62, S66

I would also eliminate the X20 since it only has 5 trips: 6:40, 7:40, 8:40 AM and 4:15 & 5:15 PM

Alternatives: X8, X13, X15, X18

Any other ideas?

I would eliminate the s60 and replace it with the s66. That way you could have daily service on Jewett Ave. and more service going to Arlo Road.

The s56 should be replaced by the s61. That way South Shore residents can have a frequent bus serving their neighborhood.

Staten Island: I would eliminate the S67 for the following reasons:

(1) Only runs during rush hours

(2) rarely crowded bus routes

Alternatives: S44, S57, S61, S62, S66

I would also eliminate the X20 since it only has 5 trips: 6:40, 7:40, 8:40 AM and 4:15 & 5:15 PM

Alternatives: X8, X13, X15, X18

Any other ideas?

BM1, could be replaced by the extension of the B11 and be eliminated. But the B11 is prone to delays, so there should be some short turn B11's at Flatbush-Nostrand Juntion like those short turn B103's.

BM3, I think the B49 limited could cover that.

BM4, pretty much makes the same stops as the B31, I don't think there's much of a time difference and taking the subway to the city is more direct and faster than the bus. And as a compromise to wheelchair riders, Kings Highway should have elevators built.

BM5, pretty much could just be annexed to the BM2 basically and avoid that long run via Queens.

BM2, probably is the only one that could remain intact for the most part, but some of them are still partially empty and can get a few buses cut. I still say the B103 should just replace the BM2 and riders take the 2/5 trains to get to the city.

For the SI routes, have everything run to some sort of hub before going over the VZ bridge and aside from the crowded X1 and such buses [which would just continue on and skip this hub], riders will transfer to buses that goes to Midtown or Lower Manhattan only. This way all buses will be full and buses like the X1 will have more buses to run. The 'shuttles' can return back to pick up more passengers to bring to this 'hub'.

Manhattan:

X25

Replace by X90.

New stop will be 2nd A & 42nd St & 1st Av & 39th St.

Queens

QM22

Replace by Q69 Ditmars Blvd-21st St: Q66/Q100 Limited 21st Street. and in Manhattan replace by any Manhattan Buses.

Why in the world would you eliminate a express route and replace it with several local routes?

Well actually, the QM22 only does 4 trips a day, two in each direction. It mirrors the Q69 in Queens and the other 50 QM's in Manhattan. It isn't really needed and can be eliminated.

Bus routes I think can be eliminated:

QM22

QM3 (can be combined w/ the X51)

QM23 (in case the # is wrong it's the bus route that does 2 trips a day)

X25

Theoretically the Q32 should be eliminated because it mirrors the (7) in Queens and the (E) in Manhattan. However, this bus somehow gets crowded so I guess it can stay.

The Q12 should be eliminated and replaced by open-door service on the N20/21. The routes are exactly the same and combined, the N20/21 run at almost the same headways as the Q12.

BM1, could be replaced by the extension of the B11 and be eliminated. But the B11 is prone to delays, so there should be some short turn B11's at Flatbush-Nostrand Juntion like those short turn B103's.

BM3, I think the B49 limited could cover that.

BM4, pretty much makes the same stops as the B31, I don't think there's much of a time difference and taking the subway to the city is more direct and faster than the bus. And as a compromise to wheelchair riders, Kings Highway should have elevators built.

BM5, pretty much could just be annexed to the BM2 basically and avoid that long run via Queens.

BM2, probably is the only one that could remain intact for the most part, but some of them are still partially empty and can get a few buses cut. I still say the B103 should just replace the BM2 and riders take the 2/5 trains to get to the city.

For the SI routes, have everything run to some sort of hub before going over the VZ bridge and aside from the crowded X1 and such buses [which would just continue on and skip this hub], riders will transfer to buses that goes to Midtown or Lower Manhattan only. This way all buses will be full and buses like the X1 will have more buses to run. The 'shuttles' can return back to pick up more passengers to bring to this 'hub'.

nope

Still, it is wasteful to run buses that aren't even full into the city when a 'shuttle' would be more efficient and would free up more resources and you would know how much the lines like the X1 or such can benefit from a few more buses to run at the expense of lower used lines.

I'm not even advocating in eliminating all the express lines, but it would be more efficient to run every bus at maximum capacity without any being dangerously overcrowded.

As far as the Brooklyn routes, I still feel some segments can be better served if replaced by local routes to serve as subway line feeders. Hell even you have to admit the BM4 is a waste as the B31 runs the exact same route. Sure Kings Highway needs elevators for ADA access, but there's no reason to keep the Bm4.

Admittedly, the BM4 has the lowest ridership out of the former Command routes. I would compromise and reduce it to rush hour only (no super express, buses serve downtown and midtown).

Some of the Hylan Blvd routes could be consolidated as well. See, I'm willing to compromise as long as the idea is realistic (not this bus hub nonsense).

You call that a compromise? There's no point of the BM4 and a hub will keep empty buses off the highways. It seems you don't care about waste as long as it is the express bus.

I don't understand this need to put D4500's on every express bus route. An O5 would be enough on some of the lower used lines. D4500's are overkill. They could've just bought the hybrids to boost local service and keep some of the older RTS and O5's longer.

But you have no hesitations criticizing regular bus and subway service as being 'inadequate'. Hell if the MTA did not have to subsidize your precious express bus lines, maybe they would have the money to keep subway service to 'your standards'.

You can't have it both ways.

Look nothing personal, but you can't have this "express bus first" mentality. They are not making back the revenue to justify running them, and that money allocation would be better used to boost local routes and subways.

The X17a hardly makes any stops in lower Manhattan yet it's usually crowded. I'm willing to eliminate weekend express service on all routes other than the X1, QM1A, and BxM7. I'm willing to put Orion V's (or even soft seat RTS buses) on the QM21 and X64. However, I will not support the elimination of express buses. They serve outer borough areas that aren't directly accessible by subway service (or in the case of the BxM11 it serves as an alternative to a slow, overcrowded, and unreliable subway line).

The Q12 should be eliminated and replaced by open-door service on the N20/21. The routes are exactly the same and combined, the N20/21 run at almost the same headways as the Q12.

I disagree with eliminating the Q12. Making the N20/21 open door in Queens will increase the running time on those routes.

The X17a hardly makes any stops in lower Manhattan yet it's usually crowded. I'm willing to eliminate weekend express service on all routes other than the X1, QM1A, and BxM7. I'm willing to put Orion V's (or even soft seat RTS buses) on the QM21 and X64. However, I will not support the elimination of express buses. They serve outer borough areas that aren't directly accessible by subway service (or in the case of the BxM11 it serves as an alternative to a slow, overcrowded, and unreliable subway line).

I agree. Routes like the X1, and X17 should not have their weekend service cut. I use them both sometimes.

I wouldn't replace any of them. Anyone who would willingly pay for less service is a fool.

I agree. Besides, I don't ride buses enough to give my say as to what should be cut or not.

I agree. Routes like the X1, and X17 should not have their weekend service cut. I use them both sometimes.

Neither should the X10 as it serves somewhat of a connection for CSI students on weekends. I've yet to take the bus someday but I'm going to try it out before the semester's over.

You won't support the elimination of express buses but you just proposed the X20, 25 and 29 be cut

How about the Q89: runs weekdays only - northbound 10:00am to 4:30pm hourly (except between 1:00pm and 2:30pm) and southbound 10:30am and 5:00pm hourly (except between 12:30pm and 2:00pm).

Unless the Q89 is popular on Linden between Merrick Boulevard and Lincoln Street.

I have never seen many people ride the Q89. So I agree on eliminating that.

nope

Im sry to say this, but you do get a bit obsessed with Express buses. When ever someone mix a photo of Exp and Local you cheer for Exp only... Maybe you like these buses because you can afford it and find Locals a bit cheap and slow. Idk but who knows.. Theres more to life then Express buses bro. Idc if you like it, but dont you like anything else besides Express buses?

BTW im not against you for liking Express buses or what ever, but just giving a little word dude.

On the other hand Leave every route where it is, I'm opposed to route elimination in any form..

All crosstown manhattan routes,because you are better off walking.

Even they're slow, that not going to be good idea.

M8: Important role in East-Greenwich Village- Remember the activiist trying to half fare hike and saving M8 bus.

M14A/D: Busy and slow.

M27/M50: Busy route.

M30: This should be elimated because I never seen so many people on peak only bus.

M34: Busy route.

M42 along with M104 Broadway-42nd St: Busy route.

M57: Busy route along with M31 York Av-57th St.

M66: Slow, but busy.

M72: Bad headway, but busy.

M79/M86: One of most important crosstown buses. M79 is slow.

M96: Busy, slow.

M106: This should be elimated because weekday and weekend nights, there are no service.

Archived