Which bus routes would you eliminate?

S78 via Hylan

BM1, could be replaced by the extension of the B11 and be eliminated. But the B11 is prone to delays, so there should be some short turn B11's at Flatbush-Nostrand Juntion like those short turn B103's.

BM3, I think the B49 limited could cover that.

BM4, pretty much makes the same stops as the B31, I don't think there's much of a time difference and taking the subway to the city is more direct and faster than the bus. And as a compromise to wheelchair riders, Kings Highway should have elevators built.

BM5, pretty much could just be annexed to the BM2 basically and avoid that long run via Queens.

BM2, probably is the only one that could remain intact for the most part, but some of them are still partially empty and can get a few buses cut. I still say the B103 should just replace the BM2 and riders take the 2/5 trains to get to the city.

For the SI routes, have everything run to some sort of hub before going over the VZ bridge and aside from the crowded X1 and such buses [which would just continue on and skip this hub], riders will transfer to buses that goes to Midtown or Lower Manhattan only. This way all buses will be full and buses like the X1 will have more buses to run. The 'shuttles' can return back to pick up more passengers to bring to this 'hub'.

- Your SI idea is plain ridiculous... you're forcing SI riders coming from all parts of the entire borough, to have to endure an (unnecessary) two seat ride on TWO EXPRESS buses... wow.....

- You think the B49 Limited (which only runs in one direction) can cover the BM3... really now.... are you just looking at a map & coming to these conclusions?

- The B11 has zero to do w/ where the bulk of the BM1 ridership comes from.... Tell me why Sunset Park & Midwood riders have to suffer w/ an extension of a local route b/c you want an express route ousted.....

- People already do that (regarding ppl. taking the B103 to the junction for the 2/5)... However, that is no reason for the BM2 to get cut in its entirety.... but yet, you want to annex BM5 runs w/ the BM2 (w/ which you want to cut runs on)... yeah, I'm on to you.....

- The reason I think the BM4 should be gone has nothing to do w/ the fact that it shares stops w/ the B31... While I do agree Kings Hwy should have elevators put in, the circumstance w/ which you bring it up for, I don't agree with....

(i.e. let's get rid of the BM4 & displace those riders onto the B31 & yeah, to keep the elderly riders mouths shut, install elevators at the subway station that route [b31] serves)...

The riderships of express bus riders, and the local routes that share a portion of the routing with them, are not synonymous.... That is the major problem I see with your line of thinking here.... displacing riders onto local buses, en route to subways would make things worse, taking into account, how grossly packed a lot of these subway lines already are during the rush hr....

All crosstown manhattan routes,because you are better off walking.

lmao !

Routes I'd eliminate

M18

Q42

Q79

X20

X25

X29

With the exception of the x29, I agree.....

Some of the Hylan Blvd routes could be consolidated as well. See, I'm willing to compromise as long as the idea is realistic (not this bus hub nonsense).

yep, this has been my stance all along, regarding the # of express routes in SI...

The Q12 should be eliminated and replaced by open-door service on the N20/21. The routes are exactly the same and combined, the N20/21 run at almost the same headways as the Q12.

Yeah, but the N20 is coming from/going to Hicksville (or Roslyn)... and the N21 to/from Glen Cove... It's a different dynamic.... No reason in the world that local (Queens) riders along Northern Blvd. should have to deal w/ the # of riders coming from/heading to LI..... If anything, there should be a slight increase of Q12 service, along with closed door operations of the N20/21.....

It's almost like saying, extend the N22 to LIRR Jamaica & get rid of the Q43... or more closely to your stance, get rid of the Q5 b/c the N4 parallels about 90% of the route....

Im sry to say this, but you do get a bit obsessed with Express buses. When ever someone mix a photo of Exp and Local you cheer for Exp only... Maybe you like these buses because you can afford it and find Locals a bit cheap and slow. Idk but who knows.. Theres more to life then Express buses bro. Idc if you like it, but dont you like anything else besides Express buses?

lol... I noticed that too.

It's more a despising of local buses than it is an obsession of express buses w/ him....

Even they're slow, that not going to be good idea.

M8: Important role in East-Greenwich Village- Remember the activiist trying to half fare hike and saving M8 bus.

M14A/D: Busy and slow.

M27/M50: Busy route.

M30: This should be elimated because I never seen so many people on peak only bus.

M34: Busy route.

M42 along with M104 Broadway-42nd St: Busy route.

M57: Busy route along with M31 York Av-57th St.

M66: Slow, but busy.

M72: Bad headway, but busy.

M79/M86: One of most important crosstown buses. M79 is slow.

M96: Busy, slow.

M106: This should be elimated because weekday and weekend nights, there are no service.

Thanks for that synopsis...

Only x-town buses I think should go, are the M30 and the M106.... so I agree with you here...

These buses use ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. There's practically no emissions. This is simply an anti-express bus rant that emanated from another transit website that we both know.

No it's not. MCI's run on 1-2MPG of gas. The average bus runs on 2-3MPG, and the hybrids run on 4MPG. And ALL of the diesel buses in the system use ultra low sulfur diesel. Even if it's an express bus, doesn't mean that it can be wasteful if it is not patronized enough.

I will not support the elimination of express buses. They serve outer borough areas that aren't directly accessible by subway service (or in the case of the BxM11 it serves as an alternative to a slow, overcrowded, and unreliable subway line).

Quite a few express routes are underused and are redundant to existing subway lines or other express bus routes.

How about the Q89: runs weekdays only - northbound 10:00am to 4:30pm hourly (except between 1:00pm and 2:30pm) and southbound 10:30am and 5:00pm hourly (except between 12:30pm and 2:00pm).

Unless the Q89 is popular on Linden between Merrick Boulevard and Lincoln Street.

The Q89 is a good choice for elimination; I don't even understand why it still exists anymore.

You won't support the elimination of express buses but you just proposed the X20, 25 and 29 be cut

There are specific reasons. The X20 and X25 have a combined ridership of 3. The X29 is slower than the majority of the local buses. However, I support 95% of the express buses in the system.

There are specific reasons. The X20 and X25 have a combined ridership of 3. The X29 is slower than the majority of the local buses. However, I support 95% of the express buses in the system.

Yeah 95%? Sounds like 99.9% or even 100%.. Just saying tho from the way you love Express buses.. It ok to like em, but something else is too.. Just a say..

at all, wasnt there a 3rd express bus from Manhattan before? I know X90/25, but i remembered a 3rd one..

X26 i think or something.. What happened to it

Im sry to say this, but you do get a bit obsessed with Express buses. When ever someone mix a photo of Exp and Local you cheer for Exp only... Maybe you like these buses because you can afford it and find Locals a bit cheap and slow. Idk but who knows.. Theres more to life then Express buses bro. Idc if you like it, but dont you like anything else besides Express buses?

BTW im not against you for liking Express buses or what ever, but just giving a little word dude.

On the other hand Leave every route where it is, I'm opposed to route elimination in any form..

Believe me, I'm broke. I can't even afford to pay the student loans I owe. The reason I like express buses is because local buses are a dime a dozen. Express buses, however, are special. They're faster and more comfortable than local buses. The people who ride express buses are more affluent than local bus riders. Riding the express bus is like a status symbol. When I used to play Monopoly I always wanted to procure Park Place and Boardwalk.

Believe me, I'm broke. I can't even afford to pay the student loans I owe. The reason I like express buses is because local buses are a dime a dozen. Express buses, however, are special. They're faster and more comfortable than local buses. The people who ride express buses are more affluent than local bus riders. Riding the express bus is like a status symbol. When I used to play Monopoly I always wanted to procure Park Place and Boardwalk.

Well.. Yes I know they are fast and comfortable, but even the subway can be faster then the X Buses at a lower cost, Its like if there is a bunch of traffic downtown, you'd be stuck on an Exp bus making stops, while the subway doesn't have any G/o(Depends on which lines).

Tho the most riders who uses the X buses are more like the work and middle classes who have the money. I can see why express buses dont stop in residential areas except suburban and the city zones..

Tho you should still give credit to Local Buses, LTD and BRT.. Some are fast some are not.. Though its you of course.

How about the Q89: runs weekdays only - northbound 10:00am to 4:30pm hourly (except between 1:00pm and 2:30pm) and southbound 10:30am and 5:00pm hourly (except between 12:30pm and 2:00pm).

Unless the Q89 is popular on Linden between Merrick Boulevard and Lincoln Street.

i agree they should eliminate the q89 because it runs so infrequently it runs once every 30 minutes i think either they should increase service on that line or get rid of it although it that part of southern queens a crosstown bus is needed i think the q103 should be eliminated too because of the infrequent service it runs once and hour

Add the BxM7B and the QM23 to that list

Routes I'd eliminate

M18

Q42

Q79

X20

X25

X29

with the Q42 I could see them eliminating it if you reroute the Q4 to serve the route (making a right at Sayres back to Merrick and rush hours the LTDs would stay on Merrick), otherwise no, it gets its riders and it would leave a gap in serve.

Good luck with the Q79. the NIMBYs (me included) have a Love Hate relationship with it. Hate that it exists but love that it saves u that walk up LN

I want the Bx25 gone while the Bx26 runs the Bx25 route, and off topic I want the Bx28 to skip Asch Loop instead of going all around in it. Also want the Bx30 to go straight down Co-op City Boulevard from Pear Tree Ave instead of Drieser Loop and all that. Waste of time. I am not paying $2.25 for a tour around Co-op City.

Bx20 could go too...

I would also eliminate:

M18, M27, M30, B39, X3

M18-No, I'd extend it to that Gateway Mall in the Bronx and combine it with the M106

M(2)(7)-Yeah, it's a short-turn version of the M50

M30-agree

B39-No, It's a good alternative should the (J), (M) and (Z) get f**ked up

X(3)-no comment

Q26: It sees its riders. Like it was said the Q27 gets ridiculous and if the Q26 is there its a godsend. The main problem with it is the E/B term: theres nothing there worth riding the route to the end. I said before they should run it down HH Expwy to at least Springfield to alleivate crowding on the Q30 and give people another connection from the (7) to the Q30 as the Q17 and Q27 can be hellish

With the Co-op routes the Bx28 needs to be LTD if its going to be serving all the sections. The Bx25 should just be elimanted without the 26 taking up its path. The BX30 is actually fine serving Dreiser its the service on it thats the problem.

The Bx20 should go but only if they put the M100 going up there in its place (add LTD service). The Bx10 can't do all that work by itself (what with the awful headways, bus bunching and winding route).

They could stand to lose the Bxm4A, there are barely any riders past Montefiore. Kill the QM1 and just send all the Glen Oaks QM1As via Fresh Meadows. I'm still trying to determine whether or not the M106 needs to exist. The Q36/Q110 need to switch E/B terminals.

With the Co-op routes the Bx28 needs to be LTD if its going to be serving all the sections. The Bx25 should just be elimanted without the 26 taking up its path. The BX30 is actually fine serving Dreiser its the service on it thats the problem.

The Bx20 should go but only if they put the M100 going up there in its place (add LTD service). The Bx10 can't do all that work by itself (what with the awful headways, bus bunching and winding route).

Dreiser has enough service IMO, they should just have the Bx28, QBx1 and BxM7. The QBx1 should run every hour all night from Pelham Bay to Flushing including Co-op. The Bx20 barely runs and people tend to only take it if it arrives first. The Bx10 is a sloppy route when it comes to scheduling I'll tell you that.. Trust me no one really uses the Bx30 heading to section 5 once it enters Co-op, it's mostly dropoff only. Going the other direction it gets it's riders at Bay Plaza mostly, many times I do see people waiting for the Bx28 run across the street for the Bx30 because it came first. I'm in Co-op every weekday now.

Kill the QM1 and just send all the Glen Oaks QM1As via Fresh Meadows. I'm still trying to determine whether or not the M106 needs to exist. The Q36/Q110 need to switch E/B terminals.

The QM1 is only good for the lower Manhattan runs. The midtown route is too short.

If the Q36 and Q110 switched terminals then the Q36 would essentially be the Q2.

Archived