The funniest thing from another site...

metsfan

I put up a group for travelers to learn about the subway in NYC on a traveler site. For the benefit of people unfamiliar with transit at all or in NYC and they are visiting.... I get some alcohol crazed 23 year old chick sending me this:

"Ride the Subway in NYC

To find out about Service Scheduled Diversions go to

this link:

http://www.straphangers.org/

Under the Tag Line: " For everything you want to know

about your line or route, click here."

You will see colored circles with numbers and letters

inside. These are the train lines that are used in our

subway system.

Then click on the train line you use the most. Or the

train lines near your host.

You will then receive weekly updates on all Service

Changes and Diversions."

I am the founding member of such groups as "nyc mini-tour", "transportation history in the usa", and "trains". I am listed under the NYC group list under several NYC groups & the main one....

Why do i need to know about the subway all a sudden exactly? I have KickMap & iTrans for nyct subway, and regularly browse the (MTA) site... Even if i was a noob at riding, i think i'd be informed enough to do it without this person telling me to join a non-afiliated site which may or may not have correct info (i know MTA screws up its info, not saying their site is flawless).

It gave me a raised brow and loud laughing. I guess being a member & mod here & railfanning & riding the subway means i need even more info... :) ... :cool::o

- A

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the subway line feature at NYPIRG'S Straphanger's Campaign is informative and interesting. For example, they feel a ride on the (E) earns a Metrocard Rating of $1.10 then goes into detail such as chances of getting a seat on the (E), how often cars break down, cleanliness of cars and in car announcements and how the (E)'s schedule and arrival compares to the other subway routes. Overall, the (E) was ranked eighth out of twenty-one subway lines in their latest report card.

Also has a handy link to the (E) line strip map at http://www.mta.info. The information is available to everyone, but the report cards are in PDF.

Actually, the subway line feature at NYPIRG'S Straphanger's Campaign is informative and interesting. For example, they feel a ride on the (E) earns a Metrocard Rating of $1.10 then goes into detail such as chances of getting a seat on the (E), how often cars break down, cleanliness of cars and in car announcements and how the (E)'s schedule and arrival compares to the other subway routes. Overall, the (E) was ranked eighth out of twenty-one subway lines in their latest report card.

Also has a handy link to the (E) line strip map at http://www.mta.info. The information is available to everyone, but the report cards are in PDF.

Yea, it's a good site, but ummm... it was sent to me, the guy with the NYC tours group (i lead the tours via walking & subway & my main photo there is of me with a lady from spain in a IRT subway car) on that same site, plus i've talked to her before about the <7> vs LIRR.... I just thought it was hilarious.

- A

Archived