The top ten most annoying things in the Subway

MattTrain

I think most of you guys can relate what really is annoying about the subway.

1. People holding the subway doors and preventing the train crew from closing them.

2. A person spreads his/her legs to take more seat room.

3. A person listens to his/her audio music player and it's loud for everyone to hear.

4. People panhandling, begging for money or soliciting.

5. People's bags or feet taking an extra seat, whereas another person would've been sitting there.

6. Passengers unwilling to give up their seats to a pregnant woman, elderly passenger, or a disabled passenger, especially in seats labeled as "Priority Seating"

7. Passengers boarding the train, who don't allow riders/commuters/railfans whatever you want to call it to leave the train first before boarding.

8. Passengers who don't move to the center of the car, standing by the doors, blocking access or exit of the train, causing inconvience to other passengers.

9. A person talking loudly to another person or to his/her cell phone.

10. A train is under a delay, (yeah, it's inevitable, but what can you do, just be patient)

I think most of this stuff also applies to buses too.

What do you think? Can you come up with things that annoy you in the subway?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me add a few of my own:

1) Fat people who try to fit in a seat when they obviously take up more than one seat. A little standing COULD help you lose calories.

2) People that spread their legs wide apart. You don't need that much ball space.

3) People who shove to get in front of the door before it opens. That's why some of us learn the approximate location of the doors - so we can get on first.

4) People who sit down before someone who got on before them did. I don't care if you're closer to the seat, you haven't been on as long.

5) People who lean on poles.

6) The automated "Ladies and gentlemen, we're being held momentarily by the train dispatcher. Please be patient." and "Ladies and gentlemen, we're delayed because of train traffic ahead of us. Please be patient." announcements. I've actually had the first one played 8 or 9 times on a ~45-minute ride that should normally take 20 to 25 minutes. And then another 3 times or so on the return trip. >__>

1. Crowded subway cars (especially on the 7 TPH rush hour (C) train).

2. People who don't move to the center of the car, preferring to stand by the doors.

3. Late trains (the MTA really needs to do a better job advising the public as to what's happening along the line. When I took the (L) I always knew what was going on.).

4. Express trains don't wait for local trains, and vice versa.

5. Beggars on the train (they seriously need to get a life).

6. Charlie Pellett's pre-recorded announcements on the NTTs (the conductor must really have no life if all he decides to do is play these recordings back to back.

7. Dirty subway cars.

8. Unclear announcements.

9. T/Os who do a terrible job driving the train.

10. People who hog the railfan window, or not even looking out the railfan window, leaning their backs against the storm door. This really infuriates me! :mad:

1. Passenger not letting people off train first.
  2. Mother with stroller standing by door.
  3. Cyclists bring their bike during rush hour.
  4. Tourist and people who cannot make up their mind at station, and exit before door closed.
  5. Some illegal musician playing music on subway cars.
  6. Passenger slamming car door as they goes from car to car.
  7. Passenger holding door for someone who's dashing to catch train (this happen at 72nd St on uptown (1) when it was skipping 96th St.
  8. Baseball fans drinking alcoholic beverage illegaly by covering it up in brown bag.
  9. Mixed of loud talking, cell phone, loud cell ring tone, babies crying, teenager talking in outdoor voice, well as some kids playing games too loud as well.
  10. Using bad language in subway.

3. Cyclists bring their bike during rush hour.

4. Tourist and people who cannot make up their mind at station, and exit before door closed.

5. Some illegal musician playing music on subway cars.

6. Passenger slamming car door as they goes from car to car.

7. Passenger holding door for someone who's dashing to catch train (this happen at 72nd St on uptown (1) when it was skipping 96th St.

8. Baseball fans drinking alcoholic beverage illegaly by covering it up in brown bag.

9. Mixed of loud talking, cell phone, loud cell ring tone, babies crying, teenager talking in outdoor voice, well as some kids playing games too loud as well.

10. Using bad language in subway.

This list basically covers it all.

People who lack volume control on their voices.

People that think listening to music on headphones so i can hear it 15 feet away killing their ears and making my trip filled with whatever crap they decide is "cool".

Stubborn people who refuse to follow logic & common sense.

Drunken people.

People who push into the doorway when people are trying to exit.

People who are obviously lost but completely ignore all advice given to them by even a C/R or station agent.

People who give me weird looks & stare at me or my girlfriend.

People who use flash & don't even know or care how to turn it off.

People who talk loudly about things i just do not want to hear.

Yuppie tourists who act like the subway is some novelty & treat other riders in such fashion, including mocking, snide comments & generally being jerks.

- A

You guys have come up with some other factors I didn't even think about. I didn't know tourists were also a problem, according to your views with them ignoring directions.

I don't think the automated announcements are an issue of annoyance, unless they're played over and over again.

The camera flash does bother a lot of people, I've seen instances of this.

Holding train doors for someone is just plain stupid, just wait for the next one if your companion isn't ready.

I didn't know people snuck alcoholic beverages in the subway:eek:.

If people are staring at you ignore them.

Yeah, bad language is annoying, especially if the passengers talk too loud.

One more thing, I've seen one instance where a guy smokes a cigarette in the subway. :eek:

1) Smelly, unwashed homeless folk, especially on overnight and early morning trains, sleeping and taking up an entire bench or three bucket seats. Bag ladies whose bags take up space for two or three people. The fact that their odor makes it impossible to sit/stand within 12 feet of them.

2) Guy who performs "poetry sessions" on the (A) and other trains, with no regard to the fact that most are very annoyed by this unsolicited recital of verse.

3) Teenagers with boom-boxes who get on rush hour trains and insist on performing break dance routines. This is a seriously dangerous activity: I have seen passengers struck by flailing arms and legs, bags and other personal belongings kicked out of the way, and the dancers lose balance and fall when the train rounds a curve.

4) The same guy selling candy "to help pay for college tuition" for years: if he had any intention of going to college, he would have done so by now. Patently obvious that any profits go towards buying drugs/guns, soliciting prostitutes and other illegal activities.

5) People who insist on taking a seat, even if they are getting off in one or two stops. Especially annoying are the ones who must get that window seat on the R44/46 trains, even when there are other empty seats around, and force the passengers in the aisle seat and the longitudinal seat next to the window to move to let them in.

6) Inaccurate rollsigns. The other day an R32 (A) train came with Lefferts Blvd on all but one car's rollsigns, this after I just got off a Lefferts train at Euclid Avenue. On entering I found it was indeed a Far Rockaway train, as I expected. The conductor had to scream and shout to let people know at every stop until Rockaway Blvd that this was in fact a Rockaway-bound train.

On another occasion, I got off a Lefferts Blvd (A) train, waited 10 minutes at Euclid, and another train with Lefferts rollsigns came in. I thought this was simply because the next two trains would be to the Rockaways (one to each branch) (though unlikely since it wasn't rush hour). The conductor announced, after the door closed, "(A) train to Far Rockaway", leaving me and another guy on the platform incensed. Of course, I had to wait another 8 mins for the next Lefferts train to go by, and a further 7 or 8 minutes to get the next Rockaway train, losing me at least 25 minutes in all. I cannot understand why, with frequencies as they are, they couldn't take a short moment to correct the rollsigns. On Thursday, on my way home, all but one (A) train going the other direction actually had the Inwood-207th St rollsign displayed. The rest just said "To Lefferts Blvd" or "To Far Rockaway"; obviously they weren't changed when they got to those terminals.

I also find it odd that Manhattan-bound (A) trains say "Via JFK Airport", since after they pass Howard Beach early on in their run, there is no way they are getting anyone to JFK, and making tourists confused as hell when they see a Manhattan-bound train saying it goes to JFK while the southbound Lefferts-bound trains do not, even though it would appear you need a southbound (A) train to get there from most of NYC.

Conductors errors are also surprisingly common: almost all conductors announce at Howard Beach "The next stop is Rockaway Boulevard" even though there is at least one and possibly two (when Aqueduct Racetrack is open) stops between the two.

7) Hot, hot, hot stations: It appears the (MTA) will never do anything about overheated stations even if people collapse of heat stroke there. I have been hearing about supposed platform cooling techniques for a while, but never any word on when they might be installed.

8) Unhelpful station agents: Most station agents I have talked to are very brusque when asked about service changes, where to board the shuttle bus etc., even though it is part of their job. Like I wrote earlier this week, one even showed me a future GO leaflet to explain why the present GO took effect an hour earlier than scheduled, so their level of intellect and customer service skills are badly lacking.

9) Passengers leaving bottles on the train; these keep rolling around on the floor and provide a hazard for standing passengers for hours until someone removes it (unless someone kicks it out onto a station platform, where it can cause more problems, especially if it lands on the tracks.

10) People who wrap themselves around standee poles, preventing anyone else from holding on.

11) Tourists with too many bags; invariably they cannot manage them all. I have seen bags roll over or fall on someone else's foot, trains held up at Howard Beach for minutes while a mountain of luggage is shipped out the door, bags preventing people from getting a seat, and other inconveniences.

12) Open bridges not closing, and other bridge mishaps. Mainly the South Channel Bridge, but the supposedly fire-proof North Channel Bridge did catch fire earlier this year.

13) This one was ridiculous, and someone please explain the rationale for this: Yesterday the (A) train I was on was held at Utica Avenue for 5 minutes, because "there is a service delay behind us". So what if there is a delay behind us? Are we supposed to join the bandwagon and get delayed too? I can perfectly understand dispatchers holding a train because it got there ahead of schedule, since passengers following the timetable would be unhappy to find the train left before its supposed departure time. Battery runs are justifiable too, although not much good if you are waiting on a platform. But what purpose did deliberately delaying a train serve if everything behind it is delayed too? The next train would have gotten a more open track to safely accelerate in if we weren't held back.

14) Weekend GOs that make it impossible to leave the Rockaways, unless you can stand taking 2.5 hours to get to the Upper West Side. It takes 53 minutes for me to get to Howard Beach when the (A) is not running in the Rockaways, and having an (usually) local (A) doesn't help matters, neither does transferring to the (L) at Broadway Junction and finding it terminates at Myrtle and the shuttle bus from there to Lorimer takes 30 minutes to do what the train does in 9.

15) The flooded floors of many station platforms after rain, especially Broadway-Nassau-Fulton St (4)(5), and the disgusting gooey liquid dripping from the roofs of many stations, including the afore-mentioned (a drop fell on me a few weeks back on the (A)(C) platform).

16) Card Vending Machines being out of service or not accepting bills or only accepting coins every now and then.

17) Too many musicians, both in the stations and on the train, most of whom aren't any good. The guy who ties metal pans to his chest and legs and beats them all day in the passageway between the (R)(W) and the other trains at Canal St should be evicted without any delay.

18) This woman holding a door on the (6) a few days back: I thought she was sticking her arm out to allow someone on the train (perhaps an elderly person or someone carrying a heavy package) to get off before being run over by people trying to get on board. Turned out she was simply preventing people (including me) closer to the train than her from getting on first. Never a greater show of selfishness.

19) People who occupy the middle of the three bucket seats not keeping themselves limited to their seats. You got on (and sat down) after us buddy (after the end seats were taken). There is no reason why we should have to get squished so you can stretch your leg wide apart.

20) People sticking their heads out to see if the train is coming. Probably even more pointless is people wandering halfway across the street so that the bus operator notices them. B/Os are supposed to notice people at stops, and may have to stop to let people off there anyway, and at most a slight raised arm might indicate you request the bus to stop. Standing in the middle of the road, or sticking your upper body over the tracks, is really so pointless and dangerous that I cannot believe no one ever seems to die or get seriously injured.

21) People who insist on using (swiping their Metrocards at) a turnstile where most of the exiting passengers are passing, especially if there are unused turnstiles nearby.

22) People who needlessly use the emergency door and make the alarm go off.

23) ALL those Metrocards littered on the floor of the station, each of which could have been used for another 10 months.

This list could go on forever. Keep the thread open and I shall come up with at least 50 "piss-offs" not already mentioned.

Lets see.. (1)<5>!

(1) Some musician playing music.. Or someone showing off causing load noise!

(2) Kids/teens in a single car acting all stupid and showing off, playing with hand pole/rails, whether car is empty or full.

(3) People stand in the damn Rail fan window and not even looking or staying there for the entire trip

(4) Some Conductors not saying stops or General Order/ annoucments, ether because they are lazy or just wanna speed commute up

(5) C/R closing door to fast and speeding up the ride instead of going by the rules. (Unless told to), Let nights Especially! Though sometimes its good just to get home or other destination fast..

(6) Someone sleeping in the train car taking up the room

<7> Someone putting bags or anything on the seat to take up space when train is full

8- People on the train opening up there legs to pretend there is no room for seating. Every AM Rush on the (2) to manhattan you have 3 people with legs open making it sound like no seat is available, which the SEAT can HOLD up to 4 people before the hand pole, the other side of the same bench can hold 3, in total 7!

(9) Some people or animal taking a sh*t in between cars. I was on an R62A (1) Train and saw feces next to the storm door, lucky i didnt cross..

(1)(Q) Kids or teens trying to bother the T/O and/or C/R while doing there jobs

(1)(1) Train Operators leaving cab doors unlock and cab windows opened when in service. Ive been on many trains and seen the cab door open[Never entered tho] and no one inside, even cab Window open and the train in service, and they blame the people for security?!

(1)(2) People not paying proper fare and jumping the turnstiles

(1)(3) People spitting in the train

And the LAST (2)!

(1)(4) Rail Foamers being so obsessed with the Subway system, trespassing areas and making a nice Rail Fan Trip unconformable, from talking about trains all day to just hogging the RFW just for videos or view..

(1)<5> *MOST* NYPD and (MTA) workers bull crapping about Photograpy, not taking pictures and trash. They know people are allowed, they just "THINK" another 9/11 is on its way, like its yesterday news... Of course Tripods and Flash is not allowed.. Or taking pictures of restricted areas..

The people who exit thru the emergancy door

The crowds on the Lexington Line

The bad A/C in the R32s

207 St Yard getting all the hand-me-downs from other lines.

The impossible to read digital front signs on the R32s and R142/143/160

The stupid slideshow that plays in between stations on the R160, just keep it solid on the route

Those annoying guys who beg for money on the train

The limited hours of the (Z)

The length of time its taking to build the (T) 2 Avenue Line

The people who are too lazy to change the front signs on the (7) to <7> when its express.

I'll make my list of annoyances as short as possible. Strollers in the subway and noisy students. This brings me to my second point, ban all women and children from the subway.

EDIT: Idiots who use the emergency exit door instead of the turnstiles. More people should be wearing wrist jewelry of the handcuff type.

1) Smelly, unwashed homeless folk, especially on overnight and early morning trains, sleeping and taking up an entire bench or three bucket seats. Bag ladies whose bags take up space for two or three people. The fact that their odor makes it impossible to sit/stand within 12 feet of them.

2) Guy who performs "poetry sessions" on the (A) and other trains, with no regard to the fact that most are very annoyed by this unsolicited recital of verse.

3) Teenagers with boom-boxes who get on rush hour trains and insist on performing break dance routines. This is a seriously dangerous activity: I have seen passengers struck by flailing arms and legs, bags and other personal belongings kicked out of the way, and the dancers lose balance and fall when the train rounds a curve.

4) The same guy selling candy "to help pay for college tuition" for years: if he had any intention of going to college, he would have done so by now. Patently obvious that any profits go towards buying drugs/guns, soliciting prostitutes and other illegal activities.

These things you mentioned, the passengers have no regards for their safety or other people's safety. The College tuition dude needs to see financial aid instead. The poetry man should give up, I think these are made up pity stories.

Lets see.. (1)<5>!

(1) Some musician playing music.. Or someone showing off causing load noise!

(2) Kids/teens in a single car acting all stupid and showing off, playing with hand pole/rails, whether car is empty or full.

(3) People stand in the damn Rail fan window and not even looking or staying there for the entire trip

(5) C/R closing door to fast and speeding up the ride instead of going by the rules. (Unless told to), Let nights Especially! Though sometimes its good just to get home or other destination fast..

(9) Some people or animal taking a sh*t in between cars. I was on an R62A (1) Train and saw feces next to the storm door, lucky i didnt cross..

(1)<5> *MOST* NYPD and (MTA) workers bull crapping about Photograpy, not taking pictures and trash. They know people are allowed, they just "THINK" another 9/11 is on its way, like its yesterday news... Of course Tripods and Flash is not allowed.. Or taking pictures of restricted areas..

Going to the bathroom between the cars is gross. Hogging a front/back window and not looking from it is dumb. I think the photography rule is a constant problem. Children do act dumb at times, even holding the train doors.

The people who exit thru the emergancy door

The crowds on the Lexington Line

Those annoying guys who beg for money on the train

The length of time its taking to build the (T) 2 Avenue Line

The (T)'s not going to be in service for a while. The Lexington Avenue Line will still be crowded until the (T) comes.

Conductors who speak very softly and unclear

Conductors who don't speak at all.

The announcements can be poor at times, I agree.

I'll make my list of annoyances as short as possible. Strollers in the subway and noisy students. This brings me to my second point, ban all women and children from the subway.

EDIT: Idiots who use the emergency exit door instead of the turnstiles. More people should be wearing wrist jewelry of the handcuff type.

Yeah, people forget to fold strollers. They take too much room there.

(W)elcome to (N)ew york ©ity (MTA)(S)ubways and Buses where you only pay 2.25/5.50 etc. for these services .

(G)et A Car if these problems irratate ya ,(N)o offense but you live in (A) (Highly populated ©ity what did you peeps expect ,the Red Carpet rolled out for ya .

(W)e all know that the Public is hard to live with but we have no choice but to ©omply .

I rode buses and trains my whole life and I had to realize this is the way it is

(S)ure empty trains and buses are A luxery to be in but we ain't alone so there will always be ©omplaints ©omplaints ©omplaints (K)<R>

PS without all these peeps ,(MTA)system wouldn't be

(W)elcome to (N)ew york ©ity (MTA)(S)ubways and Buses where you only pay 2.25/5.50 etc. for these services .

I rode buses and trains my whole life and I had to realize this is the way it is

(S)ure empty trains and buses are A luxery to be in but we ain't alone so there will always be ©omplaints ©omplaints ©omplaints (K)<R>

PS without all these peeps ,(MTA)system wouldn't be

It is the way it is, we just like to make a list of what can put a bug on passengers.

Oh we're very tolerant alright despite us making these lists.

(M)(T)

My biggest piss offs in the subway

1. People who flash themselves at me and took their pants off in front of me like what happened to me in the 46th Street station.

2. Beggars

3. Station Agents that do not want to do anything

4. Not getting a seat

5. Weird people who board cars

6. Dirt and germs everywhere

7. Trains that stop in between stations

8. Train door closing one million times before pulling out of the station.

9. Teenagers who make loud music and dance

10. People who not only take pants but put on a peep show in the subway when the car is empty

1. When you're cramming yourself into a subway car and telling people to move in, and some dumb ***** tells you there's no more room. Then when you fail to move in and look into the car there's room to cram in 6 more people in the middle of the car (for each window).

2. People who refuse to lower the volume on their iPods. I can't even understand what the hell you're listening to, it's just BLOOCHH BLOOOOOCHHHH CBLOLDKFJADSORIADS;FLKJ

I'll add more later...

I've got some!

1) Definitely people who shove into the car before the passengers get off. I've been known to push some out of the way if I'm having a bad day.

2) People who eat and leave their garbage on the train. It's disgusting, would you do that at your own house?

3) People who insist on squeezing themselves into a car in which they know they can't fit.

4) People who won't move when there is space for them to do so.

5) People who see an empty car but insist on sitting next to you. Especially when they have pizza and you're hungry.

You got that right. I hate it when I try to leave the (2) train during rush hours at 96th to transfer for the (1) and this jerk thinks he has the right to run up to the train and block people from getting off. He also had the nerve to yell at this guy who "shoved" him even though he was trying to get off. Those guys always get taught courtesy of me.

The guys who hog the doors on the (4) train at Fordam Road, so half of the damn people waiting on the platform trying to get on can't.

I have no problems with strollers, but a passenger should give up the seat to take up less room.

I hate seat hoggers who put their backpacks on the seat of an R44 or 46 or 68 during rush hours. I always ask can they move nicely. Failure to comply makes me end up in a b-fest with them.

I've got some!

1) Definitely people who shove into the car before the passengers get off. I've been known to push some out of the way if I'm having a bad day.

2) People who eat and leave their garbage on the train. It's disgusting, would you do that at your own house?

3) People who insist on squeezing themselves into a car in which they know they can't fit.

4) People who won't move when there is space for them to do so.

5) People who see an empty car but insist on sitting next to you. Especially when they have pizza and you're hungry.

wow i had #5 happen to me a few times,but hey its NYC we should all share.:P

Archived