The top ten most annoying things in the Subway

MattTrain

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I should of added people pissing in the Subway. 59th St on the Bronx Bound Lex Exp is the WORST! And the smell of urine makes me wanna vomit!!!

Some cars (and stations) actually smell of vomit. I don't think everyone manages to (or cares enough to) restrain themselves as much as you. I find the smell of vomit more ubiquitous and overpowering.

1) "Excuse me ladies and gentleman. I'm not selling candy for my basketball team or school trip. I'm selling candy so I can have money in my pocket. All I have is M&M Peanuts and Starburst"

2) The three Mexicans who play instruments and disturb everyone who's trying to sleep.

Beggars are my biggest issue with the subway. Quite frankly, I don't give a rats ass about the following:

• you found god
  • you found jesus
  • you found god AND jesus
  • you got mugged and need cash
  • you left your cash at home and need cash
  • you're homeless because you're a degenerate gambler/drunk
  • you're homeless because you're a skell drug addict
  • you play me a crappy cover of a song I didn't even ask to hear

1) "Excuse me ladies and gentleman. I'm not selling candy for my basketball team or school trip. I'm selling candy so I can have money in my pocket. All I have is M&M Peanuts and Starburst"

2) The three Mexicans who play instruments and disturb everyone who's trying to sleep.

LMFAO.Yes I haven`t heard these things in a while being here In Connecticut.Now you forgot to mention in the candy bit the whole" Im selling candy to stay out of trouble and gangs. Their selection is only M&M peanut and starburst LOL.As far as the Mexican Mariachis their not too bad.

I'm surpised nobody said anything about graffiti nor scratchitti on the walls, seats, or windows. Those are visibily the most annoying part, and most costly too, in terms of fixing that mess.

So far all from checking out your posts it's all about passengers making unsanitary conditions in the train cars, and people who don't have enough courtesy to let others pass.

The Musicians are allowed to perform on platforms and mezzanines, but not on board subway trains, just as long as they are allowed by New York City Transit, usually you'd see banners behind them. They're allowed to solicit for money.

As for the other beggars, they just need to go someplace else.

I get the impresson that if people leave trash in the subway car, their house must be really stinky.

I think most of you guys can relate what really is annoying about the subway.

1. People holding the subway doors and preventing the train crew from closing them.

2. A person spreads his/her legs to take more seat room.

3. A person listens to his/her audio music player and it's loud for everyone to hear.

4. People panhandling, begging for money or soliciting.

5. People's bags or feet taking an extra seat, whereas another person would've been sitting there.

6. Passengers unwilling to give up their seats to a pregnant woman, elderly passenger, or a disabled passenger, especially in seats labeled as "Priority Seating"

7. Passengers boarding the train, who don't allow riders/commuters/railfans whatever you want to call it to leave the train first before boarding.

8. Passengers who don't move to the center of the car, standing by the doors, blocking access or exit of the train, causing inconvience to other passengers.

9. A person talking loudly to another person or to his/her cell phone.

10. A train is under a delay, (yeah, it's inevitable, but what can you do, just be patient)

I think most of this stuff also applies to buses too.

What do you think? Can you come up with things that annoy you in the subway?

I Do 1 3 and 5 but i olny do 1 for the elderly and pregnet

YO. I love those Mexicans. The music they play is so cheerful and brightens up my day.

Family Feud anyone?

10. A train that doesn't come on time.

9. A train that doesn't come on time but comes only to get delayed.

8. Everyone with the automatic "stand by the doors" function.

7. People who eat and throw their trash around anywhere.

6. Beggars, solictors and everyone else who try to sell their junk.

5. People who make out on the trains. I always had this thought that I shouldn't have to mention this as I wouldn't want it coming back to me, but really when you're watching them make out thru the 53rd, it's kind of awkward and digusting.

4. Train crew who really want to act out. Some of them are real nice and/or polite when they really need to bring it down on you but the rest just go over the top.

3. People who listen to their iPods way high on max. I cannot take it especially when I can hear the lyrics. An investment in noise-canceling headphones is worth it because what you're only doing is killing your ears.

2. Groups of people who make lots of noise and commotion. It's ok when you have a car to yourself when you're approaching the terminal but not when you're riding with others. Have some respect.

1. "Railfans" who do think that they are on top of the train crew who try to do their jobs. Stop trying because they can have you embrassed more than you can have them..

Forgot to mention the preachers/bible-thumpers (no offense to Christians on this site).

The worst one is an occasional (A) train rider whose vehement anti-gay/homophobic "sermons" are the only antics that passengers seem to openly challenge (other preachers are annoying but can be ignored). I have never had a go at him, but I have seen others have, and I can understand their sentiments.

The other real loser is one who tells long stories about how he was a cocaine addict and how he has been clean since he "found Jesus". Its all well and good you are no longer an addict, but being one in the first place is your problem, and you should realize that not everyone's life is/used to be a mess.

This link should demonstrate why some of these preachers are worse than just annoying.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2009/10/staten_island_ferry_preacher_a.html

I'm just gonna say this, because it is a serious issue, & not be preachy or lecture-y...

I understand that you may use headphones at a high volume because you don't wanna hear other people/be zoned out on train bus wherever.... But you should know something...

Listening to heaphones which are loud enough for other pople to hear more than 4 inches away from your head for any length of time over about 20 seconds, are severely damaging your ears, and will (will, not might) make you hard of hearing and/or go deaf before you die. This is a proven scientific fact, please save your ears. :P

- A

^I used to do that, but for the past few years, I've kept the volume low and never wear my phones around the city anymore. I want to keep my hearing good and fresh, and I don't wanna be a statistic of being one of the people who got run over by a car and didn't hear it 'cause I was wearing my earphones.

(One problem about the earphones, though, is sound leakage. Some earphones, despite being realy low on volume, have really bad sound leakage. IPod phones, though, are good at preventing the sound from leaking, so when I hear it, I realize that they're playing it incredibly loud. Made me realize that I was playing my music way too loud.)

Like many of you, I have annoyances, too.

1. The people who carry candy and panhandle so that they can buy money and afford for other things like school sport unis, college, etc. Proof, please, 'cause I ain't buying what you're saying. Plus, why do I wanna eat that trans fat- and HFCS-filled crap that companies call "food"?

2. LITERRING. Need I say more? (One time, I saw a young woman litter gum wrappers on the "A" train. I got up, pointed at her close to the nose, and scolded her aloud for littering. She turned red in embarrassment. :P)

3. When subway cars stink and smell like urine, even when a homeless man's not there. I have a sensitive sense of smell and can't stand it. I literally get out and walk to the next car once it arrives at the next station.

4. All the God-preaching singers and panhandlers, such as the one at a downtown Manhattan station. Really annoying, and as someone who's not Christian, it makes me uncomfortable.

5. People bashig the city and Bloomberg. One time, a man loudly accused Mayor Bloomberg of stealing his $1.4 million from his bank acount and constantly swore the term m'f'ers (but the whole term.) A couple of annoyed people told him to shut up about it. I even muttered that he should do something about it rather than announce it to a crowd of straphangers who just want to get to work or go to school.

6. People cursing loudly (especially if kids are around) and saying homophobic terms. I don't wanna hear it, and you're only embarrassing the parents.

7. The "likers" on the train. Every day I hear people saying "like" colloquially every one to three WORDS! Girls say it even worse, and it drives me nuts. It's worse on the trains when I can't get off.

8. People playing really loud music on the train. See the two top paragraphs.

9. People hoggin up the aisles by spreaing their legs across the aisle while sitting. I don't want myself or others to trip over and get badly hurt.

10. Overheated subway stations. Many of the Lexington Avenue stations and ones way undergroundget really hot in the summer and makes me almost not able to breathe.

I'll add more whenever I think of any.

Slightly relative to topic, don't smoking is illegal on (MTA) Subway/Train Stations?

Last night when I was at Croton-Harmon waiting for 6:34pm Hudson Line Direct Express to Manhattan running few minutes late, I saw one of Yankees Fan was SMOKING on PLATFORM.

Smoking is illegal, in the Subway's fare control area, including outdoor stations. Did you tell the guy to stop smoking?

10.Tourists with no sense of direction

9.Tourists with no map reading skills

8.Tourists with no reading skills

7.Tourists who only ask where the train is going AFTER it leaves the station.

6.Tourists who spend 20 mintes trying to swipe in at the only HEET at that entrance

5.Tourists who buy unlimted metrocards not getting it when being told they are for one person

4.Tourists who can't comprehend that a Lefferts Train doesn't go to Kennedy

3.Tourists who can't comprehend the idea of an "Express Train"

2.Tourists who try to use QuickCards to get on the subway

1.Tourists

(as much as I find it easier to get home that way, I have GOT to stop going through Times Square. I try to be the nice guy and help anyway if they look lost, which is most of the time.)

Wow. You really hate tourists.

I listen to my headphones at a maximum of about 75%. I use the volume lock setting.

As for smoking, no smoking is allowed on train platforms, in stations, or within 25 feet of an entrance. Most places which ban smoking (all train stations in NY, PA, CT, NJ DE, MD, VT, etc) the 25 foot thing is a very real legal limit, and you can get a fine as low as $500 or as high as $1200, depending where it is.

I think it's amusing & sad that people let themselves become so addicted to nicotine they risk a huge fine just to light up. Some friendly advice: quit, you'll do yourself and everyone else a favor. :P

- A

I listen to my headphones at a maximum of about 75%. I use the volume lock setting.

As for smoking, no smoking is allowed on train platforms, in stations, or within 25 feet of an entrance. Most places which ban smoking (all train stations in NY, PA, CT, NJ DE, MD, VT, etc) the 25 foot thing is a very real legal limit, and you can get a fine as low as $500 or as high as $1200, depending where it is.

I think it's amusing & sad that people let themselves become so addicted to nicotine they risk a huge fine just to light up. Some friendly advice: quit, you'll do yourself and everyone else a favor. ;)

- A

IAWTP.

My biggest piss offs in the subway

1. People who flash themselves at me and took their pants off in front of me like what happened to me in the 46th Street station.

LOL that happened on the (E) train one time, this weird group of people got on at the first stop at Jamaica Center and we were just making our way past Forest Hills-71st Av when one of the dudes straight up TOOK OFF his jeans and quickly put on another pair!! I'm all like, "How ghetto can these people possibly get?!"

Another Thing.

HEET/Turnstile

1. After tourist swipe the MetroCard when they appear GO, they push HEET turnstile to lose money. Like revolving door, they're suppose to go to HEET that inside HEET and try to use Unlimited MetroCard during 18 minute period.
  2. People with stroller that try to exit thru service gate that only has HEET. They always happened at 81st St-AMNH. They press buzz, but they should press CALL button on weekend.
  3. At Turnstile, people pushing. It happened at Grand Central, when I was exiting at Turnstile, someone push me resolving me to bump into lady's you know what. B/c of my speaking problem, I couldn't say, "Sorry" quickly.

Booth

• People who get frustrated when they find Customer Assistant Booth does not handle change.
  • People with stroller thinking making eye contact to use service gate after they swipe MetroCard at turnstile.

On Subway Station/Platform (in cars) including SIR/LIRR/MNRR

• Tourist taking flash pictures.
  • People who are rude.

During G.O.

• Tourist/People not happy when their lines are reroute, shuttle busing, running peak express or local only.
  • People do not know how to use (S) Bus, they try to paid on free (S) bus.

(MTA) Regional Buses including Bee-Line Bus/NJ Transit.

• Tourists try to get on buses with Dollar Bills delaying the bus service.
    This happened on BxM4C on southbound on MetroCard Day on April 1st. I remember on Saturday, lady who had $3.50 off-peak fare did not know express bus was $2.50. They complain to B/O even thought B/O told them it spread on news, newspapers.
  • Taxi or cars idling/parking/standing illegally on bus lane or bus stop. It happened on M96 Eastbound at Lex Av, rude lady was not happy when M96 B/O told her she cannot park there. Even he had wheelchair getting off, she was not making B/O easier.
  • Bike taxi, horse carriage always using bus lanes, resolving bus to be delay.
  • On Bx12(+), it still crazy. Some people still does not know how to paid for this BRT.

Port Authority of NY&NJ Area.

• At WTC PATH, tourist making mistake between (MTA) subway and PATH, trying to buy Unlimited MetroCard from PATH Machine.
  • At PATH Station like 33rd St or WTC, tourist making mistake between Subway and PATH, trying to use Unlimited MetroCard on PATH.
  • Taxi hugging blocking bus stop, resolving some passengers had to step onto street. When lane is clear, taxi not waiting until bus door closed and passes open door.

1) People who beg for money. Weirdest one yet I was on the (2) train and some guy comes in saying "Hello everyone. I just got out of prison, my mother died and I'm HIV positive. If you could please help me." It really makes me feel safe when a guy released from prison for God knows what he did is asking for money.

2) People who take up two seats on the train. I think I'm one of the few people in NYC who won't take up two seats on a bus or a train. I don't even take the aisle seat on a bus so that people will sit there while I can just take the window seat.

3) Musicians. I appreciate their talent, but I am listening to my own music. I don't need to hear yours.

4) Men who spread their legs apart and take up two seats. Sorry dudes, but it's mostly the men who do this.

5) Very loud annoying people and people who feel they must run around the train. I mean on the (6) train, these kids were fooling around and this girl was spanking her guy friend's butt really hard. Like we need to see that.

Archived