The top ten most annoying things in the Subway

MattTrain

LMFAO.Yes I haven`t heard these things in a while being here In Connecticut.Now you forgot to mention in the candy bit the whole" Im selling candy to stay out of trouble and gangs. Their selection is only M&M peanut and starburst LOL.As far as the Mexican Mariachis their not too bad.

The first time I heard this lie was in 2003. This was a new line compared to the usual 'for my basketball team' scam.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) People who beg for money. Weirdest one yet I was on the (2) train and some guy comes in saying "Hello everyone. I just got out of prison, my mother died and I'm HIV positive. If you could please help me." It really makes me feel safe when a guy released from prison for God knows what he did is asking for money.

2) People who take up two seats on the train. I think I'm one of the few people in NYC who won't take up two seats on a bus or a train. I don't even take the aisle seat on a bus so that people will sit there while I can just take the window seat.

3) Musicians. I appreciate their talent, but I am listening to my own music. I don't need to hear yours.

4) Men who spread their legs apart and take up two seats. Sorry dudes, but it's mostly the men who do this.

5) Very loud annoying people and people who feel they must run around the train. I mean on the (6) train, these kids were fooling around and this girl was spanking her guy friend's butt really hard. Like we need to see that.

I also remember that.

I remember when (A) was using R32/R160 test, I remember there was homeless lady with disability and blind were begging for money and risking her life as she cross from car to car.

5) Very loud annoying people and people who feel they must run around the train. I mean on the (6) train, these kids were fooling around and this girl was spanking her guy friend's butt really hard. Like we need to see that.

If this was in the vicinity of 77th Street on the (6), there are two possibilities I can think of:

A) These kids were from my old school, East Side Middle School, which I graduated from in 2008,

;) These kids were from Eleanor Roosevelt High School, which is close to my old school, and is the high school that most of my colleagues and 'associates' went to after graduating from East Side Middle School.

And NO, I am NOT going to go into details. I've already said too much as it is. Sorry if I went a bit off topic.

I forgot another one.

People/Tourist does not understand between local and express train.

It happens on bus a lot also.

If local bus stop is right in front of crosswalk and when the Limited or Express Bus gets caught in red light, they try to get on bus. Tourist/People does not understand coach buses (express) are not allowed for local service.

I remember when there was disable Yonkers Bus at 5th Av-84th St, BxM6 from Eastchester agreeded to transfer passengers on BxM4C. At that moment, tourist try to get on BxM6, but I told them "Not that bus. Exchange only."

Another incident people try to get on BxM4C thinking it's M4 bus.

On (S) bus, people making mistake with regular bus.

I remember when (2) Express departed 94th St side of 96th St (1), lady who thought it was M104 and complaint to B/O to let her off, but good thing that B/O was nice operator, so she drop her off.

I remember when there was no (D) between 34th St & Atlantic Av-Pacific St, I was on (D)(S) Bus. After (D) bus pickup at Broadway-Lafayette, one Chinese lady thought it was M21, and when bus skipped M21 stop, she complain to B/O, "YOU DID NOT STOP." and B/O replied "This is (S) bus for subway." She was saying "Oh, my god" after he told her next stop is Grand St Station. You had to take bus back.

Another incident, when I was on X1 during $5.00 fare, and I think it was at Canal St where M1 and X1 shares Broadway. Lady tourist thinking X1 was M1, and when bus only made designated X1 stop, tourist asked if it stopped near City Hall. Kind B/O told her it is only to pickup. He told her to check the prefix of bus and he kindly drop her off.

I`ve never seen anyone bring furniture on the train per se,but would a big tv count for anything.

In just the subway i've seen people bring HUGE flower arrangements, microwave ovens, computers still in the box, whole lighting & audio & camera equipment crews, tables, chairs, parts of desks, even saw 2 guys taking a hand truck to deliver 3 cases of really heavy stuff down the stairs as i was going up to the street. I think it may have been electronics parts or office supplies. One time i saw 5 people, each with a different part of a wooden bed frame....

- A

Going to the bathroom between the cars is gross. Hogging a front/back window and not looking from it is dumb. I think the photography rule is a constant problem. Children do act dumb at times, even holding the train doors.

what I should of also added is now it gets annoying when the T/O blocks to rail fan view from the cab car. I know R44/46/68/68A has that issue since T/Os don't like to be seen but still isn't fair.. Now its getting out of hands on NTTs. I've seen a few newspapers covering up the R160s view.. I mean come on.. We can't even see the t/os face and read text or so.. since all NTT After R142(Not sure of R130s) have the door window blurred..

what I should of also added is now it gets annoying when the T/O blocks to rail fan view from the cab car. I know R44/46/68/68A has that issue since T/Os don't like to be seen but still isn't fair.. Now its getting out of hands on NTTs. I've seen a few newspapers covering up the R160s view.. I mean come on.. We can't even see the t/os face and read text or so.. since all NTT After R142(Not sure of R130s) have the door window blurred..

The reason to them putting newspapers over the windows is for their privacy, and to kill the glare coming from the lighting outside the cab. (Reason to why their cab window are tinted as well)

Those NTT windows arent the greatest to view from anyway. I don't really care about the RFW these days. If/When I'm a T/O I'll have that all the time.

One more thing I forgot: Whenever I get on the (E) at Jamaica Center I see that the train is about to depart. However, a bunch of old ladies always congregate on the escalator and prevent people from catching the train. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but if you want to take your time then move to the side.

the most annoying thing to me is when people board the train and dont step in just stay by the door and make it imposssible for others to board the train they just stand in the doorway and when a big person tries to fit into a small seat im a big person and i know if i can fit into a seat and at 4am in the morning when the conductor says they have congestion ahead how do u have congestion at 4 in the morning

The reason to them putting newspapers over the windows is for their privacy, and to kill the glare coming from the lighting outside the cab. (Reason to why their cab window are tinted as well)

I dont see that on the R62s of course.

Those NTT windows arent the greatest to view from anyway. I don't really care about the RFW these days. If/When I'm a T/O I'll have that all the time.

Yeah but it will be the only choose once all RFW from the OTTs are gone..

Comment number 1:

Sometimes when im on a (3) or a (1) and I wanna look out the front for a second, the T/O has his backpack hanging in front of the window

Comment number 2:

yah but we still have a while before that happens. And we still dont know what will replace the R68s/62s[A]/etc etc....

One more thing I forgot: Whenever I get on the (E) at Jamaica Center I see that the train is about to depart. However, a bunch of old ladies always congregate on the escalator and prevent people from catching the train. I'm not trying to be disrespectful but if you want to take your time then move to the side.

amen

Sometimes on R44/R46/R68/R68A, sometimes I has railfanwindow is painted black.

Everytime when I am in that car, and went train gets delay, I get bored.

I even saw at R142/R160 also.

Subway Guy's top 10:

10-Train operators who fan the brakes to make for rough stops (particularly on NTT's). Come on, you're better than that.

9-People who lie down on the benches on a train where people are standing

8-People who ask you for directions, question you every step of the way, and do not follow those directions and are generally rude about it.

7-People who carry alot of crap onto the subway. Bikers, especially you.

6-People who do not take off their backpacks when standing in a crowded car.

5-People who do not step into the car and prevent others from getting on behind them.

4-People who block the doorway when customers are exiting.

3-The kids that dance and scream in the cars after they get out of school...clapping and yelling like a bunch of animals. When I was a kid we did our share of mischief and were loud but clapping our hands and yelling "Ayoo AYooo" was never in the playbooks...

2-People who go the wrong direction on the stairs and then try and push you out of the way. They get a solid body check from me every time if they try and bump me, and it's harder if they look like a lawyer.

1-Snooty yuppie dips*** a**holes who insist on crowding into cars and make passive aggressive comments under their breath because they can't actually solve problems. They think they are entitled to everything and no matter how many times they get told that they're not special they just get right back up the next morning and do it again.

Subway Guy's top 10:

10-Train operators who fan the brakes to make for rough stops (particularly on NTT's). Come on, you're better than that.

9-People who lie down on the benches on a train where people are standing

8-People who ask you for directions, question you every step of the way, and do not follow those directions and are generally rude about it.

7-People who carry alot of crap onto the subway. Bikers, especially you.

6-People who do not take off their backpacks when standing in a crowded car.

5-People who do not step into the car and prevent others from getting on behind them.

4-People who block the doorway when customers are exiting.

3-The kids that dance and scream in the cars after they get out of school...clapping and yelling like a bunch of animals. When I was a kid we did our share of mischief and were loud but clapping our hands and yelling "Ayoo AYooo" was never in the playbooks...

2-People who go the wrong direction on the stairs and then try and push you out of the way. They get a solid body check from me every time if they try and bump me, and it's harder if they look like a lawyer.

1-Snooty yuppie dips*** a**holes who insist on crowding into cars and make passive aggressive comments under their breath because they can't actually solve problems. They think they are entitled to everything and no matter how many times they get told that they're not special they just get right back up the next morning and do it again.

I'll go with #s 1 thru 9. So basically people. And those damn public school kids, as a group they are horrible, and thats why you see alot of transit cops on the subway around 3 in the after noon.

I think we listed almost everything here that annoys the passengers. Let me summarize. You can't control other people's behavior, especially when they're acting wild or in large numbers. What you can control is how your react to it and how you tolarate it. If it's just one person talking loud, I can tell him or her to keep his/her voice low, but I can't do that when everyone's talking loud.

The baggage? We all carry loads of baggages on occasion, so you can't blame other passengers for that. Where they place them, that's another story.

Generally, most train crew do a really good job in their operations and conduction the trains.

RFW Rail Fan Window, someone hogging it shouldn't annoy anyone, unless you want to be the one looking at the front. Otherwise, just look from other windows.

Jumping the turnstile or entering the subway system improperly results in a $100 fine and or arrest. I believe this took effect on June 2008.

Like what KnightRider said earlier, you must be patient and tolerant of these annoyances.

I hope this helps.

PS:

MetsFan's advice about loud sound from earphones/headphones I suggest you take seriously too.

(M)(T)

One comment about the covering of the cab door window with newspapers, as I understand, that is a violation of TA operating procedure, although it appears not be enforced very much on the R-44 - 68s. Only very recently have I seen threads on another forum showing an R-160 with newspaper on the cab window. Prior to that, and from my own experience, NTT cab door windows are usually unblocked and allow a slightly blurred view. Also, NTTs have the windows tinted in a way which prevents one from seeing the motorman and it also blocks out glare from the interior lights.

If this was in the vicinity of 77th Street on the (6), there are two possibilities I can think of:

A) These kids were from my old school, East Side Middle School, which I graduated from in 2008,

:P These kids were from Eleanor Roosevelt High School, which is close to my old school, and is the high school that most of my colleagues and 'associates' went to after graduating from East Side Middle School.

And NO, I am NOT going to go into details. I've already said too much as it is. Sorry if I went a bit off topic.

It was a Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall bound train. I got on in Spring Street and they got off Canal Street (I believe). I think they looked more like high schoolers to me and the time was about 4:30pm.

I'll go with #s 1 thru 9. So basically people. And those damn public school kids, as a group they are horrible, and thats why you see alot of transit cops on the subway around 3 in the after noon.

I agree with you on that one. Some of these kids can be outrageous with their antics. I'm surprised that no-one ever tells them to shut the f*** up, or to cut it out. But still, it doesn't apply to ALL PUBLIC school kids. I go to a public school, and I am not like that at all. Most of my friends at school are also not like that. Not saying there aren't kids like that. Just saying that there are some bad apples.:P

Archived