The top ten most annoying things in the Subway

MattTrain

I had that happen to me on the (7) when I went to see Game 4 coverage of the World Series at Yankee Stadium that night... Some lady came on the train trying to cram religion down our throats!

I was on the (J) train on Friday, and this guy decided to give a sermon about God on the train. Nobody seemed to be pleased. I'm not a very religious person, in fact I'm agnostic and probably will be Athiest soon enough! lol but I think the word of the Lord should be kept in the church.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was on the (J) train on Friday, and this guy decided to give a sermon about God on the train. Nobody seemed to be pleased. I'm not a very religious person, in fact I'm agnostic and probably will be Athiest soon enough! lol but I think the word of the Lord should be kept in the church.

I'm very agnostic. organized religion is behind so many stupid conflicts and wars over the years, and it's an unnecessary difference in a world filled with people who love to hate each other for no reason other than their differences.

There was a chain email someone sent me a few years ago. It showed the burning WTC towers and a Bald Eagle soaring above it, crying. And it said "NOW WILL YOU LET US TEACH RELIGION IN SCHOOLS."

My response was exactly the opposite of what the person who designed it wanted..."Don'tcha think TOO MUCH religion in schools is why someone decided to do that???"

I'm very agnostic. organized religion is behind so many stupid conflicts and wars over the years, and it's an unnecessary difference in a world filled with people who love to hate each other for no reason other than their differences.

There was a chain email someone sent me a few years ago. It showed the burning WTC towers and a Bald Eagle soaring above it, crying. And it said "NOW WILL YOU LET US TEACH RELIGION IN SCHOOLS."

My response was exactly the opposite of what the person who designed it wanted..."Don'tcha think TOO MUCH religion in schools is why someone decided to do that???"

I totally agree! I'm very agnostic too. I was raised Catholic though, but then I began to think about what I was learning. I even went to a private high school, but my faith left me. I'm not athiest yet because I'm still confused. I was looking at photos from an athiest group on facebook and one photo had an image with the twin towers and in big letters it said "IMAGINE NO RELIGION". Funny thing the artist wrote about teaching religion in schools when this exact thing caused me to be agnostic in the first place!

I went thru private schools as well, but I don't really concider myself affiliated with any religion, but would probably lean more towards christianity. But I don't want to steer this thread too off topic.

As far as loud annoying kids, that ranks the top on my list. I hate those kids. They should not be in groups more than 5 at a time.

As far as loud annoying kids, that ranks the top on my list. I hate those kids. They should not be in groups more than 5 at a time.

And what happens if that group goes over 5?

gather.jpg

;)

And 5 is too many, make it 3

I'm not advocating violence unless it is self defense. I'd say give them ridalin to shut them up for the duration of the trip.

I know, don't shoot them ;)

And not ritalin, some sleeping pills. Ok, fine, no sleeping pills, but something to make 'em drowsy :o

Oh, their preachings drive me nuts! One time, I was making fun of them the whole time. Keep thy religion to thyself!

I am assuming that 2 and 3 apply to buses. Three children (nominally under 44cm tall, but I guess you cannot measure them before they are allowed on) are allowed to ride free with each paying adult. I know it is unfortunate that they end up taking up the seats, but I think you should be somewhat more considerate. (I often give up my seat on the subway to children or to parents carrying a child).

As for cards not working, that is definitely a problem with the card reader. I would never board a bus with an expired Unlimited MetroCard, and if my pay-per-ride doesn't have enough funds on it, I would pay the balance in change. I know that some others might not be so scrupulous, but I believe most riders have a conscience and would not look for a free ride. The card reader, however, frequently, misreads my card and produces a "Read Error"/"Insert Card Again" message. I have always been waved away and told to take a seat by the B/O when that happens, so I am assuming its a known issue. In any case, it happens mostly with Unlimited MetroCards, and since I have already paid $89 for unlimited travel in a month, it matters little whether my card is read accurately every time or not. I believe the people you saw had similar problems and were not getting a free ride.

I have a disability, so regarding letting the kids sit, I don't think so. And they're inconsiderate for not letting me sit. And so are the parents for not suggesting.

I have a disability, so regarding letting the kids sit, I don't think so. And they're inconsiderate for not letting me sit. And so are the parents for not suggesting.

I fully understand. Nothing is more annoying than people sitting in the disabled seats on a bus or train and sleeping (or pretending to), so they do not have to give up their seat. Very inconsiderate of those who do so.

The one thing I hate on the subway is that loud sound the trains make at the last stop just before the conductor opens the doors. It bothers my eardrums and scares me a bit. All other sounds I can deal with.

That would be the train going into emergency, which is operating procedure whenever a train changes ends.

Trains won't do this at Bowling Green (5) or Brooklyn Bridge (6), or anywhere else where they are not changing direction after the stop.

Archived