Student Metro Card Not Valid on Express Buses?

Bracamonte

That is absolutely correct. Sooner or later, student MetroCards are going to be phased out unless the DOE keeps up with their debt they owe the MTA. This is why I seriously think high schoolers should be paying half-fare no matter whether they use a bus or train - they can actually add value to their card. I pick on high schoolers because pretty soon they'll have to pay the base fare to get around (e.g. work, college, etc.).

I live in Riverdale, and I go to high school in Fort Greene. That's a distance of 16.5 miles. So in one day, I have to travel 33 miles through the subway. And you're saying that I should PAY $5.50 a day for having to endure 2.5 hours daily on a stinking, crowded, depressing subway train that gets delayed from time to time? That I have to pay for being subjected to overheated subway stations, fatigue, and bums reciting their daily begging speeches? It's not like I can take an express bus, cab, or bike. The distance is too great, and I couldn't afford it. I am glad that while I am stuck in a situation like this, I am exempted from paying. Just think about what I just said for a minute or two.

Another Technite. Welcome to the club.

Getting back to the topic, a student shouldn't be hindered from attending an elite school simply because of transportation issues or financial burdens. I was accepted to Bronx Science but I decided not to go due to the distance I would have to travel. It was the worst mistake I ever made.

Archived