Ride The R42s While You Can

Daniel The Cool

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The R 42's bring back memories I think I operate that train on more lines then any other equipment I have operated then on the (A)(B)(E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(R)(W)(Z) Lines. The (L) was when I first came out as a Student learning the line before they got R160's.

I never rode an R42 (F) train

btw I'm going to try when I get a new memory card to get a full run on the (V) with videos.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Even worse rubbish than the R44s??? Lol B)

Yeah, I label the R42s as "good junk". As bad as they are looking, I appreciate their hard work on the Jamaica Line over the past decade where they received the most hell (R42MKs), and that's something that will never change. I remember seeing them on my home line along the (A) and the (C) along with the Slants and the Straights and believe me, I rode the heck out of them. I'll be out for the R42s last run, cuz they deserve it.

I rode R42 on the (A),(:P,(C),(D),(E),(F),(G),(J),(L),(M),(N),(R),(W) and (Z), The R42's need to go ASAP, They are in very bad shape.

I never rode it on the (G). I did ride it on the other lines you mentioned above though, including the (V). (I think I even rode it on the (Q)/<Q>.).

Yeah, I label the R42s as "good junk". As bad as they are looking, I appreciate their hard work on the Jamaica Line over the past decade where they received the most hell (R42MKs), and that's something that will never change. I remember seeing them on my home line along the (A) and the (C) along with the Slants and the Straights and believe me, I rode the heck out of them. I'll be out for the R42s last run, cuz they deserve it.

I never rode it on the (G). I did ride it on the other lines you mentioned above though, including the (V). (I think I even rode it on the (Q)/<Q>.).

The R42s definitely deserve credit for their harsh years on the Jamaica EL, but they didn't perform as well as the R44s in my view.

About R42s on Brighton, I did ride one when it was the (Q6) on 6th Avenue as they supplement the slants before the closing of the North Side. However, I don't think that the Post-2001 Q or <Q> ever got any R42s even during GOs. I remember R40Ms moving into the <Q> to supplement the slants as the R143s were delivered, but the oldest I've seen on the Q were R32s, Slants, and rarely R40Ms.

The R42s definitely deserve credit for their harsh years on the Jamaica EL, but they didn't perform as well as the R44s in my view.

About R42s on Brighton, I did ride one when it was the (Q6) on 6th Avenue as they supplement the slants before the closing of the North Side. However, I don't think that the Post-2001 Q or <Q> ever got any R42s even during GOs. I remember R40Ms moving into the <Q> to supplement the slants as the R143s were delivered, but the oldest I've seen on the Q were R32s, Slants, and rarely R40Ms.

If you ever stopped and notice, the R44s are younger than the older 60' SMEEs and are doing worse than they are due to framework fatigue. The frames are rotting. You're so ecstatic over a subway car that can fail on you at any given time. That's why an R32 (A) train ran all night last week on account of an f'ed up R44. They could have pulled out another set or an R46, but nope, they ran an R32 all night. What does this prove, you may ask? It proves that your R44s can fail at any given time of the day, and they need to go.

Continuingon with the R42s, if there were R42s based out of Coney Island during the Manhattan Bridge flip-flop, then you would eventually see an R42 on Brighton, running with the R40 Straights.

If you ever stopped and notice, the R44s are younger than the older 60' SMEEs and are doing worse than they are due to framework fatigue. The frames are rotting. You're so ecstatic over a subway car that can fail on you at any given time. That's why an R32 (A) train ran all night last week on account of an f'ed up R44. They could have pulled out another set or an R46, but nope, they ran an R32 all night. What does this prove, you may ask? It proves that your R44s can fail at any given time of the day, and they need to go.

Continuingon with the R42s, if there were R42s based out of Coney Island during the Manhattan Bridge flip-flop, then you would eventually see an R42 on Brighton, running with the R40 Straights.

Fail me? They never did! Only R32s and R42s actually broke down on me. According to the Subchat technicians, the R46s have a lower MDBF than the other fleets, which was probably why they put out an R32 instead. You can't just judge a train b/c it's rotting and b/c one broke down in the middle of the day.

Some R42s were based off CI pre-2001 when the North Side was opened and the South Side was closed.

Fail me? They never did! Only R32s and R42s actually broke down on me. According to the Subchat technicians, the R46s have a lower MDBF than the other fleets, which was probably why they put out an R32 instead. You can't just judge a train b/c it's rotting and b/c one broke down in the middle of the day.

Some R42s were based off CI pre-2001 when the North Side was opened and the South Side was closed.

You're wrong! Of course you can judge a train because it's rotting, which is why I agree with many people here that the R42s need to go (they'll live to see the new year, albeit for only a brief time). If a train is deteriorating, it needs to be pulled out of service. As for the R32s failing you, I'll agree with you if you rode an (E) or (F) train, as Jamaica cannot maintain their cars for the life of it (which is mainly the sole reason why their MDBF is low, if it's true), but if you rode a Coney Island or 207th Street R32, then that's plain ludacris. Maybe the R32s' conscience told it that there was an R32 basher on board and it decided not to go anywhere. I don't know, maybe it's just you then.

NEWS FLASH

Any train can fail on you at any given time. No matter from what yard the train comes from. There is no such thing as a train that never breaks down.

You're wrong! Of course you can judge a train because it's rotting, which is why I agree with many people here that the R42s need to go (they'll live to see the new year, albeit for only a brief time). If a train is deteriorating, it needs to be pulled out of service. As for the R32s failing you, I'll agree with you if you rode an (E) or (F) train, as Jamaica cannot maintain their cars for the life of it (which is mainly the sole reason why their MDBF is low, if it's true), but if you rode a Coney Island or 207th Street R32, then that's plain ludacris. Maybe the R32s' conscience told it that there was an R32 basher on board and it decided not to go anywhere. I don't know, maybe it's just you then.

So you're telling me that 207th St. and CI R32's never break down? Yeah that's BS.

Put those two cars together and tell me which one looks more better in terms of Condition.

Overall, they both can take a dip into the river.

I just get the bad ones every time then...

Just take this into account: the R32 may probably (emphasize: probably) may not be the greatest rapid transit car in the entire world, but being a stronghold in the MTA, as over 200 of these cars are still in service today after 45 years, bottom-handedly, it is the best R-type ever made.

No pressure on you or anyone here, just remember this when you bash an R32 next time. Then it just may break down on you more....

Just take this into account: the R32 may probably (emphasize: probably) may not be the greatest rapid transit car in the entire world, but being a stronghold in the MTA, as over 200 of these cars are still in service today after 45 years, bottom-handedly, it is the best R-type ever made.

No pressure on you or anyone here, just remember this when you bash an R32 next time. Then it just may break down on you more....

They've broken down on me even before I bashed them as a little kid in the 90s. I guess there's always something that you call "fate and destiny."

NEWS FLASH

Any train can fail on you at any given time. No matter from what yard the train comes from. There is no such thing as a train that never breaks down.

For once, I will agree with you on this.

So you're telling me that 207th St. and CI R32's never break down? Yeah that's BS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure 207th Street's R32s have encountered problems, and the R32s at Coney Island now will experience some of their own with the months to come. But if there's a problem, those yards will attend to the problem ASAP. 3611's compressor was going; CI did not run the R32 on the (B) during that time. 3354 and 3355 are in the shop now at 207th getting their issues adhered to. See, if Jamaica Yard was more compassionate towards their equipment, you probably wouldn't see so many of the cars their looking dirty all the time, and the trains would actually improve in their performance. Explain to me why the R160s' brakes at Jamaica are squealing when they stop....

Put those two cars together and tell me which one looks more better in terms of Condition.

Overall, they both can take a dip into the river.

When it comes down to the way the car looks, mainly on account of the rust factor (especially the rooflines cuz the R42s do look horrendous), but many others as well, then I stand corrected. Either way, they'll be swimming with the fishes for sure.

They've broken down on me even before I bashed them as a little kid in the 90s. I guess there's always something that you call "fate and destiny."

In that case, you may just as well ready yourself to be labeled as an outcast in the railfan community for thinking that the R44 is the best subway car in the entire B Division.

Guesss I'm an outcast then because the 44s make my top 3. But then again why should I care what anyone thinks in regards to my favorite anything. I don't see the point in being judgmental of anyone cuz they like or dislike a certain car. They're all boxes with wheels that will eventually wear put their use. Also I love how R32s and the issues people have with the 44s seem to drop into every thread that has a title not even in reference to them. Is there a reason for this other than inability to stay away from the subject?

NEWS FLASH

Anything that men build will break, not an issue of will it but of when.

Archived