Ride The R42s While You Can

Daniel The Cool

The R 42's bring back memories I think I operate that train on more lines then any other equipment I have operated then on the (A)(B)(E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(R)(W)(Z) Lines. The (L) was when I first came out as a Student learning the line before they got R160's.

i hope you enjoyed it because they still stink.

Even worse rubbish than the R44s??? Lol :P

Yeah, I label the R42s as "good junk". As bad as they are looking, I appreciate their hard work on the Jamaica Line over the past decade where they received the most hell (R42MKs), and that's something that will never change. I remember seeing them on my home line along the (A) and the (C) along with the Slants and the Straights and believe me, I rode the heck out of them. I'll be out for the R42s last run, cuz they deserve it.

I never rode it on the (G). I did ride it on the other lines you mentioned above though, including the (V). (I think I even rode it on the (Q)/<Q>.).

ironically, i never hated the R42s when the Coney Island rebuilds were still in service or when they ran exclusively on the (J)(M)(Z). it was not until they started running on the (A)(E) in place of the R32s that i realized how horrible they truly are.

the only time R42s ran on the (G) after the GOH was when it was replacing the (F) in Brooklyn on several weekends during the summer of 2007. it was the CI Rebuilds' final mission before being dumped into the ocean.

The R42s definitely deserve credit for their harsh years on the Jamaica EL, but they didn't perform as well as the R44s in my view.

About R42s on Brighton, I did ride one when it was the (Q6) on 6th Avenue as they supplement the slants before the closing of the North Side. However, I don't think that the Post-2001 Q or <Q> ever got any R42s even during GOs. I remember R40Ms moving into the <Q> to supplement the slants as the R143s were delivered, but the oldest I've seen on the Q were R32s, Slants, and rarely R40Ms.

R42s did run on the (Q)<Q> with the R40Ms before they were retired in summer-fall 2007.

I hate R42s! It would be a good riddance!

No offence to R42 lovers!B)

there are no R42 lovers on Earth because almost everyone agrees they suck.

If you ever stopped and notice, the R44s are younger than the older 60' SMEEs and are doing worse than they are due to framework fatigue. The frames are rotting. You're so ecstatic over a subway car that can fail on you at any given time. That's why an R32 (A) train ran all night last week on account of an f'ed up R44. They could have pulled out another set or an R46, but nope, they ran an R32 all night. What does this prove, you may ask? It proves that your R44s can fail at any given time of the day, and they need to go.

Continuingon with the R42s, if there were R42s based out of Coney Island during the Manhattan Bridge flip-flop, then you would eventually see an R42 on Brighton, running with the R40 Straights.

the Coney Island R42 rebuilds never left Coney Island

Fail me? They never did! Only R32s and R42s actually broke down on me. According to the Subchat technicians, the R46s have a lower MDBF than the other fleets, which was probably why they put out an R32 instead. You can't just judge a train b/c it's rotting and b/c one broke down in the middle of the day.

Some R42s were based off CI pre-2001 when the North Side was opened and the South Side was closed.

idk about you, but i hated the R44s since day one. it did not take me long to determine they were ugly both inside and out and every time i rode on them afterwards, something had to malfunction, from the doors, to the lights, to the air-conditioning, to the brakes, the list goes on. the R46s do have one of the lowest MDBFs because in the past few State of the Subways Report Card, lines using those cars had the worst breakdown rates in the system.

Put those two cars together and tell me which one looks more better in terms of Condition.

Overall, they both can take a dip into the river.

i will continue to avoid those S*** can R42s and R44s until they retire. everytime i see them, i have the urge to kick and break their windows and doors and it makes me feel good doing that. i do not think the fishies down in the atlantic want them either, ha!

Guesss I'm an outcast then because the 44s make my top 3. But then again why should I care what anyone thinks in regards to my favorite anything. I don't see the point in being judgmental of anyone cuz they like or dislike a certain car. They're all boxes with wheels that will eventually wear put their use. Also I love how R32s and the issues people have with the 44s seem to drop into every thread that has a title not even in reference to them. Is there a reason for this other than inability to stay away from the subject?

people ramble about their likes and dislikes too often.

NEWS FLASH

Any train can fail on you at any given time. No matter from what yard the train comes from. There is no such thing as a train that never breaks down.

So you're telling me that 207th St. and CI R32's never break down? Yeah that's BS.

we agree on something again. even the R160s broke down on its first day in service on the (N) and (E) lines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure 207th Street's R32s have encountered problems, and the R32s at Coney Island now will experience some of their own with the months to come. But if there's a problem, those yards will attend to the problem ASAP. 3611's compressor was going; CI did not run the R32 on the (B) during that time. 3354 and 3355 are in the shop now at 207th getting their issues adhered to. See, if Jamaica Yard was more compassionate towards their equipment, you probably wouldn't see so many of the cars their looking dirty all the time, and the trains would actually improve in their performance. Explain to me why the R160s' brakes at Jamaica are squealing when they stop.....

Jamaica has too many cars to handle and it values the R46s over any other car type. that is why the Phase II R32s got retired a lot sooner than expected, why the R42s continue to suck, and why the R160s there are already starting to fall apart. it should not get anymore new cars.

Funny,cause i like the R42's.and not everyone will agree they suck,and

If the R42 CI Rebuilds never left CI,then what were they doing in ENY for 10 years+?

explain why you like the R42s. could CIs and MKs run together?

That would be correct, although they didn't "retire" them per se, they mothballed them and put them into storage, pulling them out only when necessary.

Furthermore, Mr. FlushingExpress, if you were around when the R42s were in their original livery, you'd be amazed because they actually looked very good on the inside with the blue interiors and the lights along the middle of the car (look on NYCSubway.org for car interiors and you'll see how good they looked, trust me on this one ;)).

IAWTP. I like the R42s myself. But Jamaica ran them into the ground, which is typical because they cannot maintain their cars for life. And the sea water made them even worse when they ran over the Rockaway flats. Hopefully the museum pair of R42s will be fully restored into a good state.

yes, i saw pictures of the R42s' old interiors along with all of the other pre R44s and to tell you the truth, they looked a lot better then than today. to me, the R40s had the cleanest rebuilt interiors and the R42s should have been rebuilt with the same ones. instead, they now have the ugliest interiors ever! R42s from Coney Island never ran as a solid train. they were always mixed with R40Ms. the museum pair better be in good shape like the Coney Island Rebuilds. they were not as rusted and did not get beaten up and vandalized like their MK twins and i actually enjoyed riding them, but were retired first primarily because of brake problems and low MDBF.

I never rode an R42 (F) train

btw I'm going to try when I get a new memory card to get a full run on the (V) with videos.

i never rode the R42s when they ran on the (C)(E) or (G). i started avoiding the (E) once the Jamaica/207th Street/Pitkin changes took effect in january until it become exclusively R160s. i rode on an R42 (F) twice. the first time in mid March was awful. i had to ride it from 18th avenue to Jay Street and i got so insane that R44 5278 thought i had paranoid schizophernia. the second time was in june and it was not as bad since i only had to go two stops. i rode on an R42 (V) just one or two stops several times and once caught the one that had an R40M rollsign.

Don't mind FlushingExpress. If he catches swine flu on an R42 because a passenger sneezed next to him, he's gonna blame the R42 instead! Lmao X-D

uh, no unless the heat is dead.

So your telling everyone you were born in the 60s when the R44 came into service?? ROFL!! I like the R44 and R42. They dont stink. R160 Stinks!

SMEE is what I like! The true SMEE is the Redbirds, R32, R38, R40/42...

If you hate the R44/42 go Delete the WIki articles.. Like you always do... removing people work or small work ;)!

what i meant was i hated the R44s since the first time i rode them in February 2005, but based on what i read, the R44s have been problematic since their debut in 1973. as for wikipedia, i do not delete other people's work. i do my best to keep the nyc transit related pages up to par. idk what you are talking about. maybe u should p.m. me about that.

I'm still trying to figure out how the R42s are crap they seem to get the best MDBF out of the: R32,38 and 40.

they do not have the best, in fact, they have the worst of all retiring 60 footers.

They have great seats,(better then those on the NTT)a comfy ride and they also served the (J),(M),(Z) lines.(i live a few blocks from Marcy Av)and

MK R42 rebuilds did operate together with CI R42 rebuilds.

to me, the R42s have the most uncomfortable seats in the system and their ride is very bumpy.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Coney Island R42 rebuilds never left Coney Island

Funny,cause i like the R42's.and not everyone will agree they suck,and

If the R42 CI Rebuilds never left CI,then what were they doing in ENY for 10 years+?

ironically, i never hated the R42s when the Coney Island rebuilds were still in service or when they ran exclusively on the (J)(M)(Z). it was not until they started running on the (A)(E) in place of the R32s that i realized how horrible they truly are.

That's because it's typical for Jamaica to run any single car they have into the ground.

R42s did run on the (Q)<Q> with the R40Ms before they were retired in summer-fall 2007.

That would be correct, although they didn't "retire" them per se, they mothballed them and put them into storage, pulling them out only when necessary.

Typical R42 basher. I like them despite the fact they're in bad shape.

i will continue to avoid those S*** can R42s and R44s until they retire. everytime i see them, i have the urge to kick and break their windows and doors and it makes me feel good doing that. i do not think the fishies down in the atlantic want them either, ha!

Good luck with that. I'll be in "LMAO" status when I see you in the newspaper vandalism. X-D!!! I can see the headline right now:

A young man was arrested yesterday for destroying public property in the subway by breaking the windows in a car class R42 on the (J) train yesterday. When the young man was questioned, his reply to his actions were, "I hate those cars! They deserved what I did to them. I did every single person in NYC a favor by doing what I did." Seems kinda terroristic, don't you think??? LMFAO!!!!!!

Furthermore, Mr. FlushingExpress, if you were around when the R42s were in their original livery, you'd be amazed because they actually looked very good on the inside with the blue interiors and the lights along the middle of the car (look on NYCSubway.org for car interiors and you'll see how good they looked, trust me on this one :P).

Funny,cause i like the R42's.and not everyone will agree they suck

IAWTP. I like the R42s myself. But Jamaica ran them into the ground, which is typical because they cannot maintain their cars for life. And the sea water made them even worse when they ran over the Rockaway flats. Hopefully the museum pair of R42s will be fully restored into a good state.

See, if Jamaica Yard was more compassionate towards their equipment, you probably wouldn't see so many of the cars their looking dirty all the time, and the trains would actually improve in their performance. Explain to me why the R160s' brakes at Jamaica are squealing when they stop...

Jamaica's problem is that they have too many cars for the yard to handle. The (R) and the (F) are some of the longest lines in the system, and both come out of Jamaica. The (F) uses 45 trains, which is about 1/3 of the cars at Jamaica right there (at least if the (F) was all 60-footers instead of half 75-footers but you know what I mean). Also, the only line out of Jamaica to go outside is the (F) (and the (G) for a very small stretch). From what I've heard it doesn't do the HVAC unit any good if it stays underground in the hot tunnels for the entire day, over a long period of time. All of those reasons contribute to the fact that most of us have been on squaling R32s, R42s, R46s, and R160s before.

Jamaica has too many cars to handle and it values the R46s over any other car type. that is why the Phase II R32s got retired a lot sooner than expected, why the R42s continue to suck, and why the R160s there are already starting to fall apart. it should not get anymore new cars.
The idea that Jamaica prioritized the R46s for yard space was before the R160s arrived, so we don't know if the R160s have received priority yet since then. The Phase II R32s were retired because it was time for their SMS and it wouldn't have made sense to work on a car to keep it running for 6 years when it would be retired in <2 years anyway.

people ramble about their likes and dislikes too often.

i hope you enjoyed it because they still stink.

idk about you, but i hated the R44s since day one. it did not take me long to determine they were ugly both inside and out and every time i rode on them afterwards, something had to malfunction, from the doors, to the lights, to the air-conditioning, to the brakes, the list goes on.

i rode on an R42 (F) twice. the first time in mid March was awful. i had to ride it from 18th avenue to Jay Street and i got so insane that R44 5278 thought i had paranoid schizophernia.

irony.jpg

idk about you, but i hated the R44s since day one. it did not take me long to determine they were ugly both inside and out and every time i rode on them afterwards, something had to malfunction, from the doors, to the lights, to the air-conditioning, to the brakes, the list goes on. the R46s do have one of the lowest MDBFs because in the past few State of the Subways Report Card, lines using those cars had the worst breakdown rates in the system.

So your telling everyone you were born in the 60s when the R44 came into service?? ROFL!! I like the R44 and R42. They dont stink. R160 Stinks!

If you hate the R44/42 go Delete the WIki articles.. Like you always do... removing people work or small work :P!

You said it dude! I really can't blame anybody for liking the R44s but don't get me wrong though. I just don't find them superior to the 60' SMEEs of any class.

Of course. How can the Flushing say everyone hates R42s and R44s.. Wheres his source at? 100% unreliable AGAIN!

And for the ones who loves R160 a lot.. I feel bad for em.. Those are going to be here for YEARS!!! While the R32/R42 are being booted this and next yrs..

Once the R179/R188 is out.. Its ok for a little shine, but NTT people are gonna skip the R44/46 Retirement and here we go.. While us SMEE lovers will praise em. R44/46 :P

btw I love the NTTs dont get me wrong! But it gets a bit boring talking about the NTTs too much.. I love OTT too!

If you hate the R44/42 go Delete the WIki articles.. Like you always do... removing people work or small work :P!

You said it dude! I really can't blame anybody for liking the R44s but don't get me wrong though. I just don't find them superior to the 60' SMEEs of any class.

Of course. How can the Flushing say everyone hates R42s and R44s.. Wheres his source at? 100% unreliable AGAIN!

And for the ones who loves R160 a lot.. I feel bad for em.. Those are going to be here for YEARS!!! While the R32/R42 are being booted this and next yrs..

Once the R179/R188 is out.. Its ok for a little shine, but NTT people are gonna skip the R44/46 Retirement and here we go.. While us SMEE lovers will praise em. R44/46 :P

btw I love the NTTs dont get me wrong! But it gets a bit boring talking about the NTTs too much.. I love OTT too!

It does get boring after a while. The R160s are going to be around for another 35-40 years, so people should take advantage and ride them while they still can. After the redbirds retired, everyone felt like crap because they didn't bother riding them while they were still in service. Now they have to pay $30 at a fan trip to ride them. I'll pay $30 to ride the SMEEs on a fan trip but it'll never be the same because it's not in passenger service.

So, to pay $2.25, or 10-15 times that? That is the question for you railfans....

explain why you like the R42s. could CIs and MKs run together?

They have great seats,(better then those on the NTT)a comfy ride and they also served the (J),(M),(Z) lines.(i live a few blocks from Marcy Av)and

IAWTP. I could go on for days about what makes pre-NTT cars better than the current NTTs. You already said one.

And FlushingExpress: They're both R42s! R42MK or R42CI, they could run together!

I'm still trying to figure out how the R42s are crap they seem to get the best MDBF out of the: R32,38 and 40.

MDBF doesn't really mean anything. People like to judge their favorite cars based on aesthetics.

In case anyone is interested in catching this, I saw an R42 (R) at Roosevelt Ave. at 7:58 AM, heading towards Bay Ridge. I would have taken it, but I had to take the (F) to Lexington Ave. and walk to Hunter College, and was running late anyway.

Ditching school, eh??? :P

I think that set goes OOS at 59th Street. I rode an R42 (R) train last week and caught it at 36th Street at around 9:00.

Yeah, I've been on an R32 (R) put-in from Jamaica around that time before (used to leave FH at 7:59) but it went OOS after 59th. I railfanned it the whole way, from Roosevelt Ave. to 59th St.

And btw, I have gym at the college so I wasn't really ditching. :P

Archived