Why not a LaGuardia Airport-Midtown Express bus run by the MTA?

Bracamonte

What do you mean competing illegally?

The MTA is not supposed to be trampling over the operations of private carriers such as NYAS although I heard that NYAS has until the end of the year to buy new buses or it's lights out for them.

The MTA is not supposed to be trampling over the operations of private carriers such as NYAS although I heard that NYAS has until the end of the year to buy new buses or it's lights out for them.

I always see those buses on the van wyck, there falling apart.

I always see those buses on the van wyck, there falling apart.

Yep.

Idiots! Why would you buy Bee-Line & GO Transits stuff that needs to be retired?

Anyway it Wouldnt really make any sense to extend the Qm22 2 LG Airpot.

u already have 2 routes(Q33 & Q72) that can take you to the (7). Why pay $5.50 2 get 2 manhattan slower than the bus & train?

PLUS U have the M60. So express bus service to LGA isnt really sensible....

Yep.

Idiots! Why would you buy Bee-Line & GO Transits stuff that needs to be retired?

u already have 2 routes(Q33 & Q72) that can take you to the (7). Why pay $5.50 2 get 2 manhattan slower than the bus & train?

21st Street is a quick moving street as well as 21st Avenue and most of the streets that the QM22 would travel to. The trains and the buses are crowded and SRO and a QM22 extension should work. We should instead of coming up with fantasies send to MTA and politicians for this. Because what would a fantasy do.

Even though the M60 is a horse (lol), I agree that there should be another route from Manhattan, that travels to LGA... NYAS aint cutting it.... However, I think the service should be a limited (not necessarily an express)... whether that means:

- the swapping of terminals of the current Q69 & the Q101 & sending newly formed "Q69 ltd's" inside the airport, or

- creating a new route for the cause...

But sending QM22's there (being as infrequent as it is)... not so sure about that...

Even though the M60 is a horse (lol), I agree that there should be another route from Manhattan, that travels to LGA... NYAS aint cutting it.... However, I think the service should be a limited (not necessarily an express)... whether that means:

- the swapping of terminals of the current Q69 & the Q101 & sending newly formed "Q69 ltd's" inside the airport, or

- creating a new route for the cause...

But sending QM22's there (being as infrequent as it is)... not so sure about that...

The MTA could always increase service on the QM22 where it would be useful rather then send out QM4 buses that run empty or with a couple of seniors, or rather than sending QM23 buses. What does the M60 do. How is Harlem a central business district like the way midtown is. People still think this is the 1970's and that Harlem is a ghetto. When I first came from Morocco, I was scared to venture into Harlem and the Bronx. Now I am more used to that

The MTA could always increase service on the QM22 where it would be useful rather then send out QM4 buses that run empty or with a couple of seniors, or rather than sending QM23 buses. What does the M60 do. How is Harlem a central business district like the way midtown is. People still think this is the 1970's and that Harlem is a ghetto. When I first came from Morocco, I was scared to venture into Harlem and the Bronx. Now I am more used to that

What do you mean what does the M60 do?

Seriously, explain that remark.

What do you mean what does the M60 do?

Seriously, explain that remark.

That the M60 does not go into a central business dristrict like the QM22 does. Rather the M60 goes into a neighborhood far away from all the sights and hotels that tourists want. Some people are even afraid to go to Harlem because they think that Harlem is ghetto. Now have I cleared up what I have said.

Yep.

BeeLine MCIs that NYAS bought we're in mint condition.

I suggested to Strappies Q32 and Q33 should be merge to create LTD serice.

Q32 extend to LGA Central Termnal area only. Q32 LTD makes M4 LTD stops, all stops between 57th-58th Sts/5th-Mad Avs to 2nd Av/59th-60th Sts, then make LTD stop on Queens Blvd Only, local stops on Roosevelt Av to it's terminus, then all Q33 stops to LGA, only skipping 89th, 92nd, and Marine Air Terminal.

Q33 will operate as (S) all times between 74th St Bus Terminal & LGA Central Terminal.

Forest, No one said/hinted anything about a ltd service to the airport along 125th st.

I only mentioned the M60 b/c that's currently the only local route that takes you to LGA, from manhattan.....

and as for this:

That the M60 does not go into a central business dristrict like the QM22 does. Rather the M60 goes into a neighborhood far away from all the sights and hotels that tourists want. Some people are even afraid to go to Harlem because they think that Harlem is ghetto. Now have I cleared up what I have said.

for one, lose the attitude...

secondly, yeah, I get what you're sayin.... However, that still doesn't explain why such a service has to be an express; or as you're so hellbent & definitive in your explantions on having it being, the Qm22, to the airport.

How? I see them slanding to their sides and look worse than some of GBL and TCC's GMC RTS buses. NYAS runs battered buses to the point that the old S.I Divsion, TCC, GBL, and the old LIB seems like first class.
Tilting is nothing and looks, ahh those buses were real old, but they ran, that's whats important. If it wasn't important, Canada would've had atleast half of thier buses scrapped for being way over 16 years old.

Yep.

The GO MCI's were in good shape when retired from GO transit

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm flying into JFK and in NYC from Dec 3-7. I'm looking at shuttles into Penn Station, and from my last visit to NYC in 2009 I remember NYAS running some old 2-stroke Detroits - are these still in service and is there soem sort of fleet summary for NYAS? A google search brought up some new Van Hools in 2010, but definitely keen on some 6v92 or 8v92 action (or 6v71s if they still exist!) Their fleet seemed reasonably tidy and didn't sound unhealthy (No. 175 was one I disctinctly remember having a nice roar to it when it took off from Penn Central).

I am also wondering if there will be any heritage subway trains or buses running on Christmas specials this year? Do the buses run out of Amsterdam if they are running?

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming information from a grateful Australian!

IF MTA and NYCT Museum decided to run vintage buses, it is not easy because vintage buses has no set of schedules and only run during weekday rush hours most of time and you need to wake up very early morning. For example, I think they bring vintage buses to Quill depot most of time and sometimes you have to wait in cold from around 6:00 to 8:00am in front of depot.

Some Vintage Bus drivers will let you on at depot, some don't.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm flying into JFK and in NYC from Dec 3-7. I'm looking at shuttles into Penn Station, and from my last visit to NYC in 2009 I remember NYAS running some old 2-stroke Detroits - are these still in service and is there soem sort of fleet summary for NYAS? A google search brought up some new Van Hools in 2010, but definitely keen on some 6v92 or 8v92 action (or 6v71s if they still exist!) Their fleet seemed reasonably tidy and didn't sound unhealthy (No. 175 was one I disctinctly remember having a nice roar to it when it took off from Penn Central).

I am also wondering if there will be any heritage subway trains or buses running on Christmas specials this year? Do the buses run out of Amsterdam if they are running?

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming information from a grateful Australian!

I didn't actually know that NYAS still ran full-size buses, though they may -- I always tend to see them running vans, with NYC Airporter handling buses. However, I believe recent Port Authority emissions legislation prohibits 2-stroke buses running at the airports, so I don't think you'll be able to catch an 8v or 6v bus from the airport. If you'd like to ride one in the city, there is one tour bus company that still operates buses with 6v92 engines, and that's Big Taxi Tours (I believe they only have one 6v92 bus left {#25}, but it does run daily). It's a little grim to find buses with those engines still in service, as they don't meet most of the current emissions regulations unless heavily modified. In regard to the vintage fleet, my tentative guess is a yes, but we don't know for sure -- every year is one step closer to the cancelation of the vintage bus service due to monetary woes, but they have run in all of the past years. Those buses are emissions reg-exempt, so that would be a chance for the holiday season. The subways are a more likely bet for service, as that program's generally a success for the MTA. Hope you enjoy your trip to the city!

Archived