My First Trip To The Rockaways

EE Broadway Local

I remember my first trip to the Rockaways. It was the summer of 1988 and I rode an R27/R30 (C) to Rockaway Park-Beach 116th Street. It was amazing when the (C) train turned at Rockaway Boulevard and departed Howard Beach-JFK Airport beginning to cross Jamaica Bay.

Mid-way across, we stopped at Broad Channel then turned left at Hammel's Wye. En route seeing names I had only heard about - Beach 90th Street-Holland, Beach 98th Street-Playland, Beach 105th Street-Seaside and Rockaway Park-Beach 116th Street. At the end, I left the station and took a short walk around before returning to catch the (C) train back.

I followed that with my first ride to Far Rockaway on the (A) in the summer of 1989 and my first visit to Broad Channel in the summer of 1990.

Each time I visit, I try to do something different. I've visited the plaza across from the Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue station, I've walked from Mott Avenue to Beach 25th Street-Wavecrest, I've walked the length of Beach 67th Street in Arverne and Beach 116th Street in Rockaway Park.

A great subway ride as well as a unique one.

My first trip out there was when i moved out there in 1990. i was shocked when the train didnt go underground before the bay. i was more shocked at how long the ride is!!! LOL. it was on a R44 pre-GOH

and EE, you mean made a right at the Hammel's Wye. Left takes you to Far Rock. :P

I pretty much grew up in the Rockaways. I attended the school on beach 51st St for a couple years. Was often in and out of Peninsula Hospital whether it be for sickness, vaccinations, or the yearly physical. Then moved to Corona sometime before 6th grade. I had a friend who I'd often sneak off to visit the B116th St yard to look at the redbirds, not to mention the long strip of beach that was practically down the street. It was good times.

I went into the Rockaways by taking the Q35 bus from Flatbush Avenue in Midwood Brooklyn into Rockaway Park, Queens about two years ago. To get back into Brooklyn, I took the (S) from Beach 116 Street, to Broad Channel, and hop on the (A) there. Buses are a fun way to go, besides subways.

I went into the Rockaways by taking the Q35 bus from Flatbush Avenue in Midwood Brooklyn into Rockaway Park, Queens about two years ago. To get back into Brooklyn, I took the (S) from Beach 116 Street, to Broad Channel, and hop on the (A) there. Buses are a fun way to go, besides subways.

Q53 and Q113-Limited buses also has a nice run.

I've used the Q113 and Q53 a few times, but not as often as the Q35.

Agreed, Q35 is the main way I usually leave the Rockaways to return home. I love the run over the Gill Hodges bridge.

The first time I went to the Rockaways was by school bus on a 1st Grade field trip to the beach. I remember watching an R44 crossing the North Channel Bridge and feeling jealous b/c I'm in this old Thomas-Built Bus with horrible suspension.

Regarding the C to the Rockaways, I thought that the only train that ran with the A in that section was the H and before that, the E.

Archived