The People vs. Transport Fans

mark1447

Can a Mod plz move this to off-topic forum.. If it should stay here then its fine..

So heres a question too all in general. Transport Fans(Rail, Bus or what ever)..

Do you get annoyed when People find you taking a pic of a bus or subway car(For Example) or not care? Like lets say, some one behind you is saying "Why is this person taking a picture of a train?", "This person looks stupid taking a picture of a bus," etc... Or the person comes up to you and says.. "Excuse me(Lauging a bit), why are you taking a pictures of this train?.."

I started this topic really because it has happened to me before.. My latest was this night at 149th at Mott station, So I saw the same Redbird/R127/134 refuse train with the wheel busted(Based from the other topic i made here.. I take a video of it from the E241st St side, train was coming into the Flatbush Side. There were people waiting for the (2).. So since it was being held i decided to run to other side for some shots since the Redbirds were the last sets.[Yeah it seems a bit stupid to run across just for that, but hey idc lol].. So then this woman from the northbound side says to her friend.. "This nig&a ran to the other side for a damn pic, thats stupid.." (Laughing), though there were a lot of passengers, the rest didnt cared.. So I was a little nervous but after that i didn't care and proceeded for some shots(Shots/Vids to be posted later).. Thanks god the 241st St bound (2) arrived to shut her up..

So yeah this is a real example of course.. Have you ever had something similar to this? Do you care or just get a bit annoyed..? Same applies to a nasty NYCT, MaBSTOA, MNCRR, LIRR and soo employee..

For me Yes at certain times and sometimes no.. Because its just words and words can't always hurt others. Plus people should respect what others have interest.. If you like Trains, whether its subway, railroads, monorails.. Even Buses, Airplanes boats or what ever.. Be glade of course... Even if its not Transportation related..

Anyways.. anyone else gets annoyed or doesn't care?

No one has said anything nor would I care if you do, then again it could be because I have a DSLR. You shouldn't let it get to you. Just keep to yourself happily snapping shots away.

Well at least you said something positive so thanks. I don't let it get to me that much, but at first(sometimes) it does for a few min then it wears off..

Anyways thanks for telling me..

Well at least you said something positive so thanks. I don't let it get to me that much, but at first(sometimes) it does for a few min then it wears off..

Anyways thanks for telling me..

If you want, listen to some music while you're out there taking pictures. Then you won't listen to them at all. :cool:

Yeah, some T/O on the (J) train got mad because I took a picture of an R42 coming into the station with my camera phone. When the doors opened my friend and I got on and then he immediately started pressing me, saying that I've never seen a train before. I told him not to worry about me and just do his job. He should be happy that railfans are putting the extra money in his pocket because we ride trains for the hell of it. He shut his door, knowing the fact that he got pwned. My friend and I laughed our asses off and we continued looking out the window, watching the signals and curves breeze past by.

No one has said anything nor would I care if they do, then again it could be because I have a DSLR. You shouldn't let it get to you. Just keep to yourself happily snapping shots away.

IAWTP. Then again, they'd think you're a professional so they wouldn't dare come in your way! :P

Can a Mod plz move this to off-topic forum.. If it should stay here then its fine..

So heres a question too all in general. Transport Fans(Rail, Bus or what ever)..

Do you get annoyed when People find you taking a pic of a bus or subway car(For Example) or not care? Like lets say, some one behind you is saying "Why is this person taking a picture of a train?", "This person looks stupid taking a picture of a bus," etc... Or the person comes up to you and says.. "Excuse me(Lauging a bit), why are you taking a pictures of this train?.."

I started this topic really because it has happened to me before.. My latest was this night at 149th at Mott station, So I saw the same Redbird/R127/134 refuse train with the wheel busted(Based from the other topic i made here.. I take a video of it from the E241st St side, train was coming into the Flatbush Side. There were people waiting for the (2).. So since it was being held i decided to run to other side for some shots since the Redbirds were the last sets.[Yeah it seems a bit stupid to run across just for that, but hey idc lol].. So then this woman from the northbound side says to her friend.. "This nig&a ran to the other side for a damn pic, thats stupid.." (Laughing), though there were a lot of passengers, the rest didnt cared.. So I was a little nervous but after that i didn't care and proceeded for some shots(Shots/Vids to be posted later).. Thanks god the 241st St bound (2) arrived to shut her up..

So yeah this is a real example of course.. Have you ever had something similar to this? Do you care or just get a bit annoyed..? Same applies to a nasty NYCT, MaBSTOA, MNCRR, LIRR and soo employee..

For me Yes at certain times and sometimes no.. Because its just words and words can't always hurt others. Plus people should respect what others have interest.. If you like Trains, whether its subway, railroads, monorails.. Even Buses, Airplanes boats or what ever.. Be glade of course... Even if its not Transportation related..

Me I would keep doing what I do best.Running to take a pic of a bus,train etc that are rare finds adds thrill to the hobby we all do like catching pokemon.You doing a good job.As far as the girls that heckled you,I would dismiss them,they probaly run for other things I can`t mention on this site wink wink;)

It happened many time.

When I was doing Philly adventure for first time when I was at Normade Court, I took (6) to 86th St. When I was taking pic of R142 (4), black lady say, "Why are you taking picture of me?

I told her I was taking pic of train, not her.

When I was taking pic of LIB at Babylon Station, black man told me, "Take my pic when I raise digital camera."

When I was take video of 34th St Bus Lane on going back, I remember sort of conversation. With Hitachi Digital.

Female passenger: Why is he taking pic?

B/O: He just recording bus lane.

Female: Isn't it illegal b/c of terrorist?

B/O: No. It not dangerous. It not terrorist relative.

Female: Oh.

When I was taking pic of NG coming on Bx20, Bx7, then Bx12(+), SBS operator told me it's illegal. I told him it not illegal under (MTA) rule.

I was making video "How to use Select Bus Service".

When I had Hitachi Digital Camera, B/O did not say anything.

Even the Bee-Line B/O did not say anything when I was taking picture at New Rochelle, White Plains, Tarrytown, Peeskill. Even in Rockland County, B/O did not say anything.

this happened to me MANY times.even in some of my photos you can see people looking at my camera like "wth?".some lady even asked me if i was doing for a school project,so then im like "ya." i just dong get people look at us when we take pics.its so nerve racking!

Here's what:

Most of you let it get to yourselves... Think, what are the chances you will ever see that person again if you live in New York? Do whatever the hell you want. You taking pictures is not like shooting people, well yes there will be people who "mock" the hobby, but that's just the smallest sacrifice you can make for something you like to do.

I distract myself with some music, and if someone tells me something negative that relates to me snapping pics, I just ignore them. Why? Because those people are short-minded and ignorant.

I also think you can draw negative attention to yourself when you practice your hobby... obviously running on a crowded platform to take pictures isn't the best thing.

But I don't really happen to meet those negative people. Most of my pictures I take will be from the front of the platform (because of less crowding) when sometimes the train operator will ask me for fun to show him the pic I took or just have a short conversation... that's what inspires me and keeps me going, I don't let the little things get to me.

So... next time someone tells you something stupid about your hobby, just keep doing what you do best.

I've taken photographs of the subway and bus and usually not a lot of people mind me photographing, they just let me photograph as I wish. I did have some people asking me why, because they're curious. In some instances I've had people running away from me when taking photos. Just don't mind them. I've even photographed in front of police officers and they didn't say anything. So best bet is to keep shooting away, unless others start nagging you too much.

Happy photographing!

(M)(A)(T)(T)(H)(E)(W)

That too. But I never upgraded to an IPOD. Been using the same CD player since '04.

Ehh that's alright..CD players don't break (unless you beat them up)..Ipods do all the time so you "have to get another one" what a coincidence that it's usually after any warranty you buy....

Ehh that's alright..CD players don't break (unless you beat them up)..Ipods do all the time so you "have to get another one" what a coincidence that it's usually after any warranty you buy....

that usually happens with any sort of electronic equipment...the whole breaking after the warranty. It's either that or the warranty is still active but doesnt cover the issue leading to its malfunction.

that usually happens with any sort of electronic equipment...the whole breaking after the warranty. It's either that or the warranty is still active but doesnt cover the issue leading to its malfunction.

Yup they don't make things like they used to even 10 years ago. Nowadays it's all about getting that customer back to buy a replacement in a couple years. "Planned obsolescence" as I've heard it referred to.

My iPod 4G is still kicking. Just changed the battery a few months ago and it's good as new. I've got no plans to get rid of this thing.

My old iPod from 2002 still works, and one i had before my current one i gave to my girlfriend since hers was 4 gigs and mine was 20. Both my macs are old, 4 and 7 years.

- A

Hah, seven years is nothing. I had a Mac SE from '89 that I only gave away recently. Last time I heard, it was still running & the fella had a website running from it for the lols. Was a strong machine when I acquired it, though its 20MB (yes, twenty megabyte) hard drive was dying. Replaced it with a 320MB and bumped the RAM up a bit. Fun to tinker with.

Hah, seven years is nothing. I had a Mac SE from '89 that I only gave away recently. Last time I heard, it was still running & the fella had a website running from it for the lols. Was a strong machine when I acquired it, though its 20MB (yes, twenty megabyte) hard drive was dying. Replaced it with a 320MB and bumped the RAM up a bit. Fun to tinker with.

I leave it running on credit purchased wind & solar power 24 hours a day. :cool:

- A

sorry fam, but I'm literally laughing mad hard at this comment:

So then this woman from the northbound side says to her friend.. "This nig&a ran to the other side for a damn pic....."

I can picture some hoodrat sayin some ish like that....

But calling you "stupid" b/c of it, I don't find funny...

I cannot relate on the photography side of things... but riding as many buses as I have, yeah, I have come across my fair share of comments/questions from whoever I'm around that I don't know...

Me, I'm as cordial to you, as you are to me... if you ask something I deem foolish, you'll either get a stare from me looking as if you are the a**hole, or a snide remark in response to an unruly/unjust comment.... or, both.

Fortunately, I don't come across too many ppl. of the above (maybe b/c of my size & the constant "mean" look on my face {so ppl. I know, tell me all the time}, I dunno)... Most the ppl. that ask me anything (and what I do find annoying at times, especially when I'm tryna dart for a bus/train), are for directions...

If I see someone tryna catch a shot of a bus/train, w/e, and I'm blocking their shot, I move out of the way (even if it means inadvertently bumping into someone else; which has happened before)... b/c I understand that it is infact a hobby, and I don't want to be the lone person to screw it up for someone....

its ok, it is funny how people use street slang just for the hell of it.. Those people dont got a brain inside them.. At least im not alone in this world!:cool:

sorry fam, but I'm literally laughing mad hard at this comment:

I can picture some hoodrat sayin some ish like that....

But calling you "stupid" b/c of it, I don't find funny...

I cannot relate on the photography side of things... but riding as many buses as I have, yeah, I have come across my fair share of comments/questions from whoever I'm around that I don't know...

Me, I'm as cordial to you, as you are to me... if you ask something I deem foolish, you'll either get a stare from me looking as if you are the a**hole, or a snide remark in response to an unruly/unjust comment.... or, both.

Fortunately, I don't come across too many ppl. of the above (maybe b/c of my size & the constant "mean" look on my face {so ppl. I know, tell me all the time}, I dunno)... Most the ppl. that ask me anything (and what I do find annoying at times, especially when I'm tryna dart for a bus/train), are for directions...

If I see someone tryna catch a shot of a bus/train, w/e, and I'm blocking their shot, I move out of the way (even if it means inadvertently bumping into someone else; which has happened before)... b/c I understand that it is infact a hobby, and I don't want to be the lone person to screw it up for someone....

Archived