NYS Court Officer

S/A Vee

i took the court officer exam and got called for it a couple of years ago. typical civil service exam. multiple choice. reading comprehension regarding the court system and law. after i got called, i went in for the 8 hour physical agility "exam" and passed even though i strained to do only one pull up. haha. then i realized the job requires you to carry a gun and go to police academy. police academy? eh ok. i could deal. but me with a gun? i would've probably been in the news by now. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...
I am taking that exam in december. The hardest part on it is the memory part.

Yeah the memory part is the hardest on that exam. The multiple choice is easy. But it's just that every question is a paragraph and by the time you get to the memory part at the end your brain is fried from all the reading you did earlier. The is the only civil service exam I failed. I took the exam back in '05 and the lines where crazy. I took mines at the Art & Design HS and the 2 lines wrapped around an entire manhattan block to the point that both ends of each line meet.

Anyone else write the exam or is goin to.

Are you taking the exam VEE?? A classmate of mines just left from being a S/A for the NYS court officer job. Also what's going with you and the C/R job. And did you get a chance to select vacation time yet? I went today, there pretty much wasn't anything good left, but with low seniority you gotta make the best of it. At least I finally got my 4 weeks vacation time this year.

Yeah the memory part is the hardest on that exam. The multiple choice is easy. But it's just that every question is a paragraph and by the time you get to the memory part at the end your brain is fried from all the reading you did earlier.

well i have good news for you then. the memory part is the very first part of the test. they give you 5 minutes to read a story and then wait 10 minutes with nothing but silence. then they give you all your questions, and 1-10 pertain to the story you read but of course they have taken the story away from you, hence the term "memory part". after the memory part i saw that every single question was a whole paragraph each so i did the clerical and records part in the back of the booklet right away and did the reading comprehension last

well i have good news for you then. the memory part is the very first part of the test. they give you 5 minutes to read a story and then wait 10 minutes with nothing but silence. then they give you all your questions, and 1-10 pertain to the story you read but of course they have taken the story away from you, hence the term "memory part". after the memory part i saw that every single question was a whole paragraph each so i did the clerical and records part in the back of the booklet right away and did the reading comprehension last

Well that's what I meant. The clerical stuff at the end got me. After all those paragraphs and such I was fried. I just filled in any answer. But it doesn't matter that was not the job for me. I had taken the S/A exam and postal exam before the court officer exam and got called for both the other exams. I choose the MTA job over the postal one mainly because I already had 1 year in with transit when the P.O. called me.

Are you taking the exam VEE?? A classmate of mines just left from being a S/A for the NYS court officer job. Also what's going with you and the C/R job. And did you get a chance to select vacation time yet? I went today, there pretty much wasn't anything good left, but with low seniority you gotta make the best of it. At least I finally got my 4 weeks vacation time this year.

Whats up man. I was also picked yesterday around 2:00. I didn't expect to get anything that great. But what you goin to do.

I missed the last conductor class. The last senority number taken in was 69. I was told by someone at livinston that the next class will be 12/28.

Whats up man. I was also picked yesterday around 2:00. I didn't expect to get anything that great. But what you goin to do.

I missed the last conductor class. The last senority number taken in was 69. I was told by someone at livinston that the next class will be 12/28.

Damn I must have seen you then. I was there at that same time. My class selected vacation time around 1430. What is your senoirity number & appointment date?. Mines is 2876 ,appt date 1/15/2006. Well at least you picked your time already, so once you get called for C/R you wont just get what ever is left over. Hopefully RTO honors your vacation weeks that you picked in Stations. I took 1 week end of january, first week of may, third week in october and one week in days. So I assume you will be in that class on the 28th. Do you know the shcedule for classes following that one? Since my list number is 244 hopefully I get in by spring.:tup:

• 2 months later...

does anyone know if the state does daily testing for court officer like the city does for police/corrections? back when i was studying for the exam on the train one day this guy noticed i was reading a book with the words "Court Officer" on the cover so he asked me when i was taking the exam and i told him i was taking the october exam. but then he told me that i didnt have to wait because i could just go downtown any day and take the test. i argued that he was mistaken because thats for police and corrections, but he strongly insisted that i was incorrect! i thought nothing of it until i looked in The Cheif and it does mention that there's a State Court office in lower manhattan where you can get applications for jobs. so i figured i'd just ask here just in case. i still think he's wrong but i hope not because even though i took the test, my girlfriend didnt and she wants to be a cop but i rather her be a court officer (safer, better hours, same pay of 40-70k) and she's shown interest in the job in conversations ive had with her

Test was given in Oct. or Dec of last year.

"Due to the anticipated large response to this announcement, the written examination will be held in test centers throughout New York State on Oct. 24 and Dec. 12.

Candidates will be assigned to take the test on one of these dates. Admission notices will be mailed to all candidates three weeks prior to the first test date informing candidates of their date and the location of the test center where they should report."

• 4 months later...
Damn I must have seen you then. I was there at that same time. My class selected vacation time around 1430. What is your senoirity number & appointment date?. Mines is 2876 ,appt date 1/15/2006. Well at least you picked your time already, so once you get called for C/R you wont just get what ever is left over. Hopefully RTO honors your vacation weeks that you picked in Stations. I took 1 week end of january, first week of may, third week in october and one week in days. So I assume you will be in that class on the 28th. Do you know the shcedule for classes following that one? Since my list number is 244 hopefully I get in by spring.:tup:

rto should honor it unless it falls when he is scheduled for school car. if that happens the crew office will reschedule it.

• 5 weeks later...

nah, sorry man. in the past year or so ive taken tests for Train Operator, Court Officer, Toll Booth Collector, Beginning Clerical Worker, and School Safety Agent (with TSA and Court Assistant coming up). they all had a different number of questions. it had to be either 70 or 75 for that one though cuz all the questions were sooo long that i know it wasnt more than 75

Archived