NTT plastic things...

metsfan

There not plastic, there wooden shoe slippers. They are ment tobe slipped under the contact shoe to remove 3rd rail power from it. All trains should have them in the cab, the NTTs have a rack that hold 5 of them. They are also used when there is debrie on the roadbed and it may be touching the 3rd rail, they can also be used to prop open windows, cab doors, and even keep people in line.

There not plastic, there wooden shoe slippers. They are ment tobe slipped under the contact shoe to remove 3rd rail power from it. All trains should have them in the cab, the NTTs have a rack that hold 5 of them. They are also used when there is debrie on the roadbed and it may be touching the 3rd rail, they can also be used to prop open windows, cab doors, and even keep people in line.

I'm guessing that they are made of thick rubber b/c the picture makes them look like wooden oars.

Wait, if they are used to stop the current flow from the 3rd rail to the Shoe, then wouldn't the 3rd rail burn the wood?

No, wood can be used as a insulator. Thats why the protection boards were made of wood, they are being replaced because they break as they get old.

Electricity does not flow through, thats why phone poles are wood as well as many older lineman's tools. What Chambers St fire are you talking about?

I am referring to the 2003 fire, which destroyed the Chamber St Signals Room. The cops found a shopping cart full of lumber on the third rail, which spread to the track ties and eventually the signals.

Electricity does not flow through, thats why phone poles are wood as well as many older lineman's tools. What Chambers St fire are you talking about?

I think he's referring to the fire that took out a relay room at Chambers a few years back. IIRC that wasn't started by electricity but rather by a homeless guy lighting stuff on fire to stay warm.

I am referring to the 2003 fire, which destroyed the Chamber St Signals Room. The cops found a shopping cart full of lumber on the third rail, which spread to the track ties and eventually the signals.

No matter what started the fire, once there is flame the wood will catch on fire. Woods being present only added to it, it did not cause it. When 3rd Rail Ops. replaced the 3rd rail insulators, they use a very large Oak pry bar to raise the 3rd rail up so they can change out the insulators. When they to that, it does not catch fire, that bar is like a very large shoe paddle.

Archived