Silverliner Vs in Action Over In S. Korea!

N-Trizzy2609

Silverliner Vs are not too far behind the M8s. Here's a Single and Double Car set coupled.

Sounds like it has AC porpultion and they are just nice. They look alot like the Market-Frankfort cars.

Wow It looks like Hyundai-roten won another contract for :septa: Hyundai-Roten is a south korean rail and defense manufacturer under hyundai( Yes the guys who build cars) They are know for building cars for septa and other U.S agencies.I wonder if they ever bid for a(MTA) contract.

Wow It looks like Hyundai-roten won another contract for :septa: Hyundai-Roten is a south korean rail and defense manufacturer under hyundai( Yes the guys who build cars) They are know for building cars for septa and other U.S agencies.I wonder if they ever bid for a(MTA) contract.

MTA seems to only go for companies with high reputation. Kawasaki has a reputation for taking part in the Shinkansen buildings and had already built the R62s, R68A, R110A (though failed), R142A, R143, and R160B. That might explain why they won the bid for the M8s. Also, having an Asian company produce trains can be significantly less expensive.

Everyone is going cheap with Asian products now! And why GE? My new preference is now Siemens!

Nothing (NJT) uses is "cheap", and the LRV's (both electric and diesel) are a proven design. There are no asian (NJT) heavy rail equipment, it's all canadian or european.

:septa: does not have the money to mess up its largest rolling stock purchase in 25 years.

(NJT)'s yearly budget is something like 17 billion dollars, while the emaciated and political whipping boy :septa: is just under 1 bn. If they screw up, they will not have the $ to recover.

They really need to rethink their purchase plans. The factory to produce these railcars doesn't even exist, and hyundai doesn't have any formal experience building large fleets of main line heavy rail rolling stock to be used every single day 20 hours out of the day. What should have happened, is they should be purchasing DMU 3 unit sets and EMU pairs & singles from GE and bomb, this to allow restoration and expansion of service without much extra investment in rolling stock. :septa: is the only transit agency to shrink its footprint since conrail pulled out. I dunno how some half baked tin cans from a very questionable builder is going to address those 2 issues.

- A

Ugh, talk about going with the wrong contractor. GE pleaseeeeeeee :cry:?

- A

I don't think GE does railcars anymore, just locomotives... Actually, this(Korean) builder looks promising. I'm always glad to see some foreign built rolling stock in the mix! And these days, all Septa's rail systems have at least some overseas-built rolling stock!:cool:

Yeah GE long ago left that segement of the rail car industry.All they do is make locomotives in their facility near lake Erie PA.If you want actual GE passenger cars,ride the metro north M2 cars,The manufacturer badge actually says general electric,but has no year or town and state on the plate.Oh and I forgot that they rebuilt All R38`s.RIP to the 38`s.

True,but I think Kawasaki is the new st louis car company,where they will or already have become the prime choice for new equipment.

Yeah, but the operators hate the Kawasaki cars...which is why the MTA will order more of them.

If so, St Louis Car 09, then Bombardier would be the new Budd! When you think about it, Bombardier is pretty much the closest thing we have to an American subway and trolley manufacturer, and they're Canadian, and own several overseas firms!

Well, apparently Kawasaki's LRV's were disliked, considering they haven't made any LRV's since SEPTA's! It looks like SEPTA is in the same situation with its light rail cars as Toronto is with their CLRV's!

Archived