MTA plans cut B-bus in half

dmouse

It's splitsville for the B61. The (MTA) wants to chop up the chronically late bus line - which averages 18,500 riders a day - in a desperate attempt to dodge traffic toubles in one of Brooklyn's most congested areas. Instead of a single route, the agency plans to split the service into two lines, with the B61 running from Queens Plaza to downtown Brooklyn, and a new line, the B62 traveling from downtown Brooklyn to Red Hook.

Source: NY Post, article by Amber Sutherland and Tom Namako.

I read about this like 2 months ago and they gonna start doin it in January. All I can say about it is AWESOME!!!!! From what I read the B61 is gonna end at the B65 bus stop & the B62 is gonna start at the B57 bus stop. Plus they gonna reroute the 61 so it goes closer towards Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. And another thing, what will the buses be based out of? Will the 61 stay at Grand and will the 62 come from Gleason?

I read about this like 2 months ago and they gonna start doin it in January. All I can say about it is AWESOME!!!!! From what I read the B61 is gonna end at the B65 bus stop & the B62 is gonna start at the B57 bus stop. Plus they gonna reroute the 61 so it goes closer towards Williamsburg Bridge Plaza. And another thing, what will the buses be based out of? Will the 61 stay at Grand and will the 62 come from Gleason?

Doubt it would come from Gleason. I would assume this would come from Grand Ave. Its perfect cause Grand Ave is now getting 58 NGs.

Doubt it would come from Gleason. I would assume this would come from Grand Ave. Its perfect cause Grand Ave is now getting 58 NGs.

But the B62 would be closer to Gleason since Grand Ave is in Maspeth Queens. The B61 is good, but for the B62 highly doubt it

Incorrect; the B61 will run the Downtown to Red Hook portion, and will operate from Jackie Gleason Depot. The B62 will run the Downtown to Long Island City portion, and operate from Grand Avenue Depot.

Thanks for the clear-up and just ignore the above post lol

the williamsburg/downtown split (although I still don't agree w/ splitting the B61) at least makes sense.... especially w/ the fact that they're gonna route it closer to WBP....

the downtown-red hook portion though, still doesn't make sense to me...

what's gonna happen is, either the service (times/headways) will be similar to the B71 (a sneaky way of cutting service).... or they're (MTA) gonna find out that people wont ride the route in the numbers that they speculate upon splitting the route - possibly meaning a merger w/ another route, or back to the quote-unquote original b61....

by itself, I don't see that leg standing long....

Archived