<4> Diamond to return?

mark1447

Do you think if the (4) Jerome Express service goes successful the <4> "Diamond" Express will return? I wonder if the R142/A would be programmed for this..

Most likley the lex line would be (4)<4>(5)(6)<6> with no 238th <5> Diamond Express :P..

Even the <4> is here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/events/BronxExpressPilot.htm

There is a diamond <4> I saw it for myself and I got a pic of it which came out crappy thanks to todays weather. IMO it was successful!

The diamond is used only now if the express operates in tandem with the local. There is no local and express (5) during the peak so no <5> is used.

The <5> was only used for 238th Service while (5) was for Dyre Service.. Made it easier to know which route was which.. Tho I miss the <5>. Only 1 R142 still shows it

There is a diamond <4> I saw it for myself and I got a pic of it which came out crappy thanks to todays weather. IMO it was successful!

Rly? You better upload that shot :P B)!!! I bet you came from Queens to Bronx so early for that special <4> Exp service?

Rly? You better upload that shot :P B)!!! I bet you came from Queens to Bronx so early for that special <4> Exp service?

Right now I'm staying in Brooklyn and yes I came out to The Bronx for that <4> express via Jerome Avenue....everything today just sucked for me. I missed a R-142A on the <4>....the Woodlawn bound trains was hell b/c it took forever and a year to come. I'll upload the pic with the diamond <4>!

The <5> was only used for 238th Service while (5) was for Dyre Service.. Made it easier to know which route was which.. Tho I miss the <5>. Only 1 R142 still shows it

They changed it afterwards (most likely in late 2002 or sometime in 2003) from both <5>s during rush hour to (5) trains that ran express to the Bronx for Eastvhester, and <5> trains for Nereid Avenue. You're right about the only sole R142 set that still shows the <5>, I need to track those suckers down!

They changed it afterwards (most likely in late 2002 or sometime in 2003) from both <5>s during rush hour to (5) trains that ran express to the Bronx for Eastvhester, and <5> trains for Nereid Avenue. You're right about the only sole R142 set that still shows the <5>, I need to track that car number down!

Actually it is a SPECIAL set :P .. Not only it has the <5>, but also has the programming still for the (2) and (1)(9) Transfers during Rush Hours:

(2) | To Wakefield- 241st Street (Or To Flatbush Avenue)

(2) | 7th Avenue Express

This is 96th Street.. Transfer is available to the (1) and (9) TRAINS.

Same applies to the other routes with no Eastern Parkway Exp/Lcl but rather BROOKLYN EXPRESS or BRONX EXPRESS(NB).

One of the car numbers is 6715- 671X? and 6775-677X? Got an old video of it with <5> on youtube..

I think they took the <5> out for the simple fact that the (5) to 238 never does what it's supposed to do (actually go to 238). It either ends at E180, goes express to Gun Hill and drops out or just goes to Dyre. Rarely does one catch a Nereid train that actually makes every stop to 238

Thats true tho. Ive been on like a few <5> and it ended at Gun hill via Exp on White Plains Road..

Yeah, why do dome trains end at Gun Hill Road/White Plains Road?

For direct access to East 239th St Yard, + it won't hold the (2) behind it since some trains would be held at 238th st while causing congesting to the (2) and <5> behind.. So it uses the M track instead.. Even R62As from the (1), R62s from the (3) and R142As from the (4) pile there. Man is 239th popular for some IRT routes or what:confused:

For direct access to East 239th St Yard, + it won't hold the (2) behind it since some trains would be held at 238th st while causing congesting to the (2) and <5> behind.. So it uses the M track instead.. Even R62As from the (1), R62s from the (3) and R142As from the (4) pile there. Man is 239th popular for some IRT routes or what:confused:

That's because there's a car wash there, although I thought the (1) had its own car wash at 240th Street or went to 207th Street instead, and the (4) went to Concourse. The (3) has no choice but to go to 239th though. I remember seeing R62As on White Plains Road when I was young, and I was confused as to whether or not the train was going to stop there.

The <5> was formerly used as the Bronx Thru Exp and was a peak-direction rush hour service as it is today. It still exists, but at the time diamonds were used to show additional rush hour service. Even the <4> was used for trains which did nothing more than skip 138 St/Grand Conc. Now, it seems there may be a revival with talk of the Jerome Exp.

• 2 years later...

Where this <4> may actually work best would be as a "Racino Express" line to Woodlawn that would operate:

Friday:

PM Rush to approximately 9:40 PM to Woodlawn.

late Friday (approximately 10:00 PM) to end of express service from Woodlawn.

Saturday and Sunday:

10:00 AM-7:30 PM to Woodlawn.

8:00 PM-end of express service from Woodlawn.

Where this <4> may actually work best would be as a "Racino Express" line to Woodlawn that would operate:

Friday:

Saturday and Sunday:

Keep dreaming!

Friday:

Saturday and Sunday:

overkill much

Friday:

Saturday and Sunday:

No.

Friday:

Saturday and Sunday:

Will not work.

Woodlawn, while it does have some ridership, is far from the heaviest used stations along Jerome Avenue.

The following local stations all have high ridership and require frequent service, which is not possible running every other train "express" just to use unused tracks and fill a railfan fantasy of using every track in the system ever for revenue service:

-Yankee Stadium (I assume you're not suggesting to skip this one)

-167th St

-170th St

-176th St

-Fordham Rd

-Kingsbridge Rd

-Bedford Pk Blvd

That's not to say the other stations don't also have their fair share of riders, but these in particular are heavily used. Many of the people riding the Jerome Line are going to north of 183rd anyway, but not specifically to Woodlawn

Archived