Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

You guys think I will get hired before the end of October? A few months ago I planned a week long trip to Boston for that time. I hope Amtrak has a generous refund policy in case I can't go.

Arent you the one that was saying people have a much longer wait than they think? Youre likely to enjoy your Boston trip and when you get back youll have plenty of time to spare.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arent you the one that was saying people have a much longer wait than they think? Youre likely to enjoy your Boston trip and when you get back youll have plenty of time to spare.

Or why not just stay in Boston permanently? You can be the new Cliff Claven.

And that's why I said he may get a pre-employment letter by then. They may send out at least 80 letters or more to get that first class of 40 people, and they may do the same thing for the next class of 40. Out of 100 people sent a letter maybe only 35-40 will get hired. Don't forget not everyone will pass the medical. And TA is not gonna stop hiring the people that may have scored lower than you either. And let's not forget technically the next C/R's exam should be given next year around Nov/Dec. This list should have been at least two years into hiring O/C's by now, and a little over one year from exhaustion by the time the next exam rolls around. And given the amount of people's name put on a outstanding certification makes it seem like they will move fast too. I think normally DCAS sends about 100-200 names at a time, not more than 400. I could be wrong in all that I'm saying, but I just feel initially TA will move fast through the first few months then slow down by years end.

You can be close, but you are likely underestimating that ratio, have you seen any proof that it is likely to fail than to succeed? You did say "technically" but I cant see why transit woild conduct another test only a little more than a year after establishing this one, makes no sence. Ive mixed feelings/predictions on this but im predicting Transit will call no more than 2000 people with luck.

You can be close, but you are likely underestimating that ratio, have you seen any proof that it is likely to fail than to succeed? You did say "technically" but I cant see why transit woild conduct another test only a little more than a year after establishing this one, makes no sence. Ive mixed feelings/predictions on this but im predicting Transit will call no more than 2000 people with luck.

If Transit only called 200 instead of 2000, and then ended the list there would be a gigantic spike of suicide of virgins in the New York area.

The next conductor test will not be held until at least 2014. What makes you think they would have another conductor test a year and a half into the current list that is good until February 2015? The Next conductor test will most likely be around February 2014.

As for the people worse than 150 on the list, don't expect to be hired this summer. The hiring numbers are not what you think they are.

Reason I said what I said was because these test are suppose to be given every 4 years. And that's why I stressed supposed to be given. Now since we all know how long they took to start the list in the first place, Yes! it only makes sense that the next test to be given will be @ a later date than normal. The last test was given in Dec'08 and the list should have been established in 2009 and expired in 2013, therefore making the next scheduled test date in Dec 2013 or early 2014. I believe the last one to be given was in 2004, the same year I took the S/A exam. I remember just missing the registration deadline for the exam in 2003, so I applied for the S/A exam in Dec of that same year.

Only reason I made those comments is because the tests are supposed to be given every 4 years or so. Since they are so behind schedule, they may want to rush through the list faster than normal to stay on schedule with the exam dates. I just read someone got a letter with a list number of mid 70's so it seems my @ least 80 or more notices sent out at a time is correct.

My number is mid 70's on o/c #8094...... Reporting to Livingston St. June 3rd..... The wait is finally over.... Good Luck All! Thanx for all the info for the past 2.5 years!

Good luck man!!. I wish you all the best through out the entire pre-employment process. Just stay honest with all your information, and verify info you may have forgotten about from the past.

Reason I said what I said was because these test are suppose to be given every 4 years. And that's why I stressed supposed to be given. Now since we all know how long they took to start the list in the first place, Yes! it only makes sense that the next test to be given will be @ a later date than normal. The last test was given in Dec'08 and the list should have been established in 2009 and expired in 2013, therefore making the next scheduled test date in Dec 2013 or early 2014. I believe the last one to be given was in 2004, the same year I took the S/A exam. I remember just missing the registration deadline for the exam in 2003, so I applied for the S/A exam in Dec of that same year.

Supposed to and Transit go together like oil and water. The conductor tests I know of were given 1993, 1999, 2004, 2008, and the next one will be 2014. The mid 1990's there was a big hiring freeze. They usually schedule a test with about a year before the O/C list is scheduled to expire.

Only reason I made those comments is because the tests are supposed to be given every 4 years or so. Since they are so behind schedule, they may want to rush through the list faster than normal to stay on schedule with the exam dates. I just read someone got a letter with a list number of mid 70's so it seems my @ least 80 or more notices sent out at a time is correct.

They usually send out about twice as many notices as positions available and if there aren't as many no shows or medical holds, then the ones left out simply have to wait until the next class.

My number is mid 70's on o/c #8094...... Reporting to Livingston St. June 3rd..... The wait is finally over.... Good Luck All! Thanx for all the info for the past 2.5 years!

Good news make sure you got all things in order and answer every question in that booklet and be honest.

I am just curious to know if I do get hired and being a MTA employee do I get to ride the LIRR for free? I live out in Suffolk County and was wondering as far as my commute goes. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I am just curious to know if I do get hired and being a MTA employee do I get to ride the LIRR for free? I live out in Suffolk County and was wondering as far as my commute goes. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Depends on who hired you you just said MTA, they have different agencies..

Ok you got me on that one. LOL I just figured that this is the thread for the subway conductor's that everyone would assume that. LOL So yeah if I do get hired as a subway conductor would I get to ride the LIRR for free as an MTA employee as I would be taking the train from Ronkonkoma and I know the monthly pass is up there in price. Thanks again for any responses.

:P

Ok you got me on that one. LOL I just figured that this is the thread for the subway conductor's that everyone would assume that. LOL So yeah if I do get hired as a subway conductor would I get to ride the LIRR for free as an MTA employee as I would be taking the train from Ronkonkoma and I know the monthly pass is up there in price. Thanks again for any responses.

No you won't technically be able to ride free, it highly depends on the C/R on the train you're riding that day. And most times LIRR C/R's don't honor TA passes. You'll have better luck on the MNRR. I have a classmate that moved to Middletown, NY two years ago and has not yet had to pay for a ride.

RTOman is the LAST person you should get any advice from. It all depends on the Conductor when you are on the train. You are supposed to pay since you aren't a LIRR employee, but if you are in uniform, the conductor usually honors that you are a Transit employee. What I suggest you do is always have a ticket with you and ask him before hand if he honors Transit employees. That way you are being respectful to his job and don't look like an ass demanding or expecting the free ride. By having the ticket with you, if the C/R says no, then just hand over the ticket so you don't have to pay more having to buy the ticket on the train. That's how it works. That's how I would suggest you also do if you ever take Amtrak or any other railroad as an employee. It's similar to cops letting other cops from other jurisdictions slide on ticketable offences

Remember, just because someone answers your question here, and they say they work for Transit, it doesn't mean they are right. Actually, usually they are wrong and just want to give the illusion that they know something.

Some of my subway employee friends have said the best bet is to do the following:

Every time you ride Metro North or LIRR, buy a ticket. KEEP THE TICKET with you. When the conductor comes around, show your pass. Some will let you ride. If the conductor asks for a ticket, give them the ticket you've already bought. They may be doing it "by the book", their may be a supervisor looking somewhere you don't know about so don't talk back if they ask, just give them the ticket.

If they accept a view of your pass, though, you now have a ticket you can use another time. Unfortunately though with the reduced valid period for MNCR/LIRR tickets, this method isn't as effective as it used to be if you're not doing a commute you do semi-regularly.

Great news man ! Good luck ! Hope to be with you in the future...

Can I just say how much it hurts that my list # is 12**...and I have the same score as the person with a list # of 666 ! LOL

Be happy, my list number is in the 1300s :(

Archived