Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Does the MTA issue us conductors boots or should i go buy my own? I need to know before the training on the 24th lol- Sent From My iPhone 5 Using Tapatalk

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING! You were told to wear a light blue shirt and dark blue pants and black shoes. You will be fitted for your uniform at 130 Livingston and you boots will issued in school car.

Relax.... MTA will issue you what is needed.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reason I ask is cause i just came back to NY from Miami

I have no shoes or boots, only sneakers 

i didnt wanna buy shoes that im gonna wear for 2 weeks and not look at again (Im broke right now brehs lol)

If i bought boots i'd make em last in work and my personal life for years to come 

sounds like my best bet would be just to get some cheap shoes till my boots are issued

thank you both for the help 

If i bought boots i'd make em last in work and my personal life for years to come 

sounds like my best bet would be just to get some cheap shoes till my boots are issued

Personal life yes, but you have to wear TA-approved boots on the job. They will NOT approve non-issued footware unless you have a note from your doctor stating that the issued shoes don't fit comfortably, and even then you need to get your alternate footware approved by the safety dept and renew this every year. This is an issue they've been big sticklers about, and the first thing system safety looks at are your feet when doing an evaluation.

You'll get the boots by your second week, so my advice is find a cheap set of black shoes/boots that you can handle wearing for a week. You won't be brought into the yards until your whole class is wearing TA-approved footwear, so they won't drag their feet (pun intended) on getting everyone what they need.

Personal life yes, but you have to wear TA-approved boots on the job. They will NOT approve non-issued footware unless you have a note from your doctor stating that the issued shoes don't fit comfortably, and even then you need to get your alternate footware approved by the safety dept and renew this every year. This is an issue they've been big sticklers about, and the first thing system safety looks at are your feet when doing an evaluation.

You'll get the boots by your second week, so my advice is find a cheap set of black shoes/boots that you can handle wearing for a week. You won't be brought into the yards until your whole class is wearing TA-approved footwear, so they won't drag their feet (pun intended) on getting everyone what they need.

My class which was in November of last year got our boots 1 month after school car began. Our uniforms came before the boots. Transit changed vendors so we got our boots by being in the right place at the right time. It was out of a truck at Corona Yard.

Appointed is basicly hired or sworn in. If you 2150 you need to call right now and speak to hr cause you should have already gotten the interview and on to the 2nd phase or close to it. If you are looking at this post and you are anywhere from list # 1900 - 2500 I think you should call cause they probably tried to let you know to come in  347-643-8218.

Appointed is basicly hired or sworn in. If you 2150 you need to call right now and speak to hr cause you should have already gotten the interview and on to the 2nd phase or close to it. If you are looking at this post and you are anywhere from list # 1900 - 2500 I think you should call cause they probably tried to let you know to come in  347-643-8218.

I already came in for my drug test and am waiting on the call back for the next step. I am over 2150 but not by much actually.

Called Ms.Shivers today....last hired and appointed is 2015 ... When a lil over a week ago, I called and last hired was 1919.... So they are moving pretty quick....hopefully they keep up this pace

Wow that means they should get to the 2150-2175 range fairly quickly then I think (much faster than I expected). I have yet to fill this paperwork out I thought I would have more time then. Does anyone know what number shows on the caller ID when they call? Just in case I miss the call so I know they called. Also do they leave a message when they do call?

I wonder about how much every two weeks a first year conductor will make? Does anybody have an idea of what my take home is? I know they start at 19.47 hr for conductor. There are also other pay involved like night/weekend and holiday differential.

The numbers I am going on for now just to have an idea is for a 35 hour workweek (40 hours for fulltime minus an hour for lunch for a 5 day work week) would net $1362.90 every 2 weeks. Now based on previous jobs after taxes and all deductions typically they take out a little less than 1/3 of a paycheck so just to be on the safe side figuring in 1/3 of that taken out every 2 weeks the take home pay could be around $908.60 not counting overtime or night differential. I don't know how close I am to the actual numbers or not that would have to come from someone actually there now but I figure if anything it would give a general idea of what it looks like. That should answer your question for now at least.

-Base starting for conductors is 19.47/hr

-Starting night/weekend differential is 0.91/hr (applies to all hours between 1800 and 0559, as well as weekends)

-Holiday pay is an additional 8 hours at your hourly rate

-Anything over 8 hours in a day is overtime, and is paid at time and a half. Time is your overtime, and the half is the bonus.

Assuming you start schoolcar and work 0700-1500 Monday thru Friday (aka no night diff - this is a possible training slot)

You would GROSS: 19.47 x 40 hours per week x 2 weeks in a pay cycle = 1557.60 before taxes and deductions

So as long as you're not AWOL, or out sick with no sick time, etc. (aka anything that results in not getting paid), you will ALWAYS gross at least this much for the entirety of your career as a conductor. I highly recommend budgeting using this, as you can't always assume that overtime etc. will always be there.

On average, when you're out on your own you will get some overtime (many jobs are more than 8 hours, and you may also be on the Extra Board for a couple of hours before picking up a job - you're paid for that whole time, plus travel time if the job ends somewhere other than where you've started...remember time and a half for everything over 8 hrs). You will also get differential for nights and weekends, which even though it's small adds up at the end of the year. PM's and Midnights get the most differential, AM's the least.

You can also offer to work your RDO's (if there is a need for extra employees on your RDO's) either for pay or to save the time as OTO (time that you can later take off from work), however this is not recommended for new employees while on probation. But it is an option for those who want to make more money, although like all overtime it is not guaranteed.

It's possible it might not expire in February next year.

The people in charge of the list have expressed serious interest in prolonging the list

for another year.

I have a bittersweet feeling towards this. One on hand it frustrates me because of the longevity but on the other hand it gives me an opportunity to get some schooling under my belt to build a resume. Atleast the list seems to be moving at a good pace & A lot of people on here seem to be getting called.

Today I had to go to the Social Security Administration to get an Employment History printout. Since They are asking for every job, and I couldnt remember addresses for so long ago, I had to get one. It cost $102.00, paid in a money order and the print out was given while I waited at the window. Anyone who cant remember past employment, addresses, zips, ETC,ETC..I recommend to go here. Its expensive, but at least you will have the detailed information they are requesting...That is anyone who has their 21 page packet waiting to be called for a medical....Just a FYI for everyone.

Hi, I have a question ,

as I am filling out the 21 page application, what happens, rather, what should I do in the event I cannot remember the month I started at a job from 10+ years ago?...As I stated in an earlier post, I did get an employment history printout, but there are some jobs I had more than 10 years ago, I cant remember the start day/last date......I dont want to give the wrong information.....What would be the best thing to do?...should I just give a possible month, or leave blank until im sitting down with someone?....any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Today I had to go to the Social Security Administration to get an Employment History printout. Since They are asking for every job, and I couldnt remember addresses for so long ago, I had to get one. It cost $102.00, paid in a money order and the print out was given while I waited at the window. Anyone who cant remember past employment, addresses, zips, ETC,ETC..I recommend to go here. Its expensive, but at least you will have the detailed information they are requesting...That is anyone who has their 21 page packet waiting to be called for a medical....Just a FYI for everyone.

holy crap $102??

i requested it via mail and it was like $30 IF that for the past 10 years 

oh yes 102 bucks..

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-7050.pdf#page=2&zoom=auto,0,751

check it out.....maybe you got one that doesnt have the addresses..there are 2 different kinds....if yours comes with employer addresses and year you worked you should post where you can get it for 30 bucks...i wish i could have paid 30 bucks...back to my first statement, which one did you get?

Nice...how long did it take for them to call you for medical after first DT?..I'm still waiting to get called for medical and final processing..I'm thinking and hoping I get a class before the end of the summer....how are the hours for school car chosen? By choice or assignment?.....thanks for any answers, and best of luck to you AK,!!!!

Archived