Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in and out of this forum for about 2-3yrs now and yours is the first post that I'm commenting on. My list number is exactly 4,011 and I've been praying with fingers crossed that there's a slight chance that I'd be contacted for the position being that my number is so low. I'm hoping that a couple (hundred) people accepted the position as B/O which will give a brother a fighting chance. By your estimation do you think I'd make the cut? Honest opinion @straphanger and anyone else who has insight on me inquiry.

At the rate they are going 4000 is still pushing it. From what I read on here (which I am treating as a rumor until I hear otherwise) they are considering extending the list until it reaches 4000 and that the last list only hit the 3000 range before this one started so although your list number is just over 4,000 it is very unlikely they will reach you. I won't say impossible just seems unlikely to me at this time. Of course if someone else who actually knows what is going on says otherwise by all means listen to them. This is just my observation but I've been wrong with some things in the past. (for instance I got called earlier than I expected so you never know)

On a side note it appears we do not yet have access to the all about me section on the BSC portal even though we can login and this was the first day of orientation (and they mentioned it today about logging in)

Thanks appreciate the honesty...hopefully things happen in my favor. Could definitely use this gig not to state the obvious, lol. I took the Track Worker exam as well so if this doesn't pan out God willing things go well with that.

Ruxx718 your list number is a hope and not a definite because they have contacted approx up to 2700 to 1st interview , many have take bus operator, last number appointed as per DCAS is 2202 could be higher as per mrs shivers i havent called this week but last week i did and she said 2182. There is 10 months left til the test expires unless what someone states is true they extend the test then yes you have more of a chance. Last conductor test was about 3022 hired.  Im list number 2415-2425 and i got called for bus operator and was going to take it as i saw other conductors ahead of me taking the bus test cause they were not sure they'd be reached. If uncertainty lies with a few more ahead of your number of 4011 then better for you but there is no way of finding out yet how many people turned down conductor/took either motorman, or bus operator and/or got disqualified. There is the Freedom of Information Law(FOIL) that I believe you can request for info but not 100 percent sure what info they give. Take other test also because there is stockworker and another bus operator(mabstoa) for mta coming in june.

What can a person expect to make biweekly during the first year?

Expect to make about $40K your first year, before taxes, on your base salary. Once you go extra, you will be collecting A LOT of overtime (but still at the first year pay rate) so that will push it up some more.

Also, I need to stress this again - when you get to the posting stage of schoolcar, DO NOT lose your posting papers. Make a scan or copy every night when you get home. I had a student today who gave his papers to the dispatcher to sign and then went home before he got them back. Good thing it was his second day posting....you lose it after 2 weeks, and you need to go track down ALL of those signatures again, otherwise you'll have to repeat the postings all over again.

Ruxx718 your list number is a hope and not a definite because they have contacted approx up to 2700 to 1st interview , many have take bus operator, last number appointed as per DCAS is 2202 could be higher as per mrs shivers i havent called this week but last week i did and she said 2182. There is 10 months left til the test expires unless what someone states is true they extend the test then yes you have more of a chance. Last conductor test was about 3022 hired.  Im list number 2415-2425 and i got called for bus operator and was going to take it as i saw other conductors ahead of me taking the bus test cause they were not sure they'd be reached. If uncertainty lies with a few more ahead of your number of 4011 then better for you but there is no way of finding out yet how many people turned down conductor/took either motorman, or bus operator and/or got disqualified. There is the Freedom of Information Law(FOIL) that I believe you can request for info but not 100 percent sure what info they give. Take other test also because there is stockworker and another bus operator(mabstoa) for mta coming in june.

The guy who creates the exams told us today as well that they are going to extend the conductor exam for one more year but it is likely that this is the last exam they will extend. Because of that whatever list number they get to for that one year extension (which didn't go into effect yet apparently) that is it. The reason he gave for extending the list is because of the bad economy DCAS has certain provisions that allow extensions on civil service exams (in which this is the last of several they did extend this time around for the same reason). Their reasoning for extending the list is because hiring freezes or slowdowns while the list is active because of a bad economy (which they claim has picked up enough not to need to extend any more lists after that one) if the economy were normal they would have reached the same amount of people a one year extension will allow (if not more) so this way it gives people who paid for the test a fair chance to get in rather than waste their money.

The guy who creates the exams told us today as well that they are going to extend the conductor exam for one more year but it is likely that this is the last exam they will extend. Because of that whatever list number they get to for that one year extension (which didn't go into effect yet apparently) that is it. The reason he gave for extending the list is because of the bad economy DCAS has certain provisions that allow extensions on civil service exams (in which this is the last of several they did extend this time around for the same reason). Their reasoning for extending the list is because hiring freezes or slowdowns while the list is active because of a bad economy (which they claim has picked up enough not to need to extend any more lists after that one) if the economy were normal they would have reached the same amount of people a one year extension will allow (if not more) so this way it gives people who paid for the test a fair chance to get in rather than waste their money.

Appreciate you remembering my query and asking about it. Hands down this forum is the best thing to happen to any Civil Service exam. With them extending it another year and with the rate that they're hiring people I still may have a fighting chance. Again thanks to you @NYTech2000 and @straphanger for all your info.

Appreciate you remembering my query and asking about it. Hands down this forum is the best thing to happen to any Civil Service exam. With them extending it another year and with the rate that they're hiring people I still may have a fighting chance. Again thanks to you @NYTech2000 and @straphanger for all your info.

This Orientation they told us, that there were 30 Train Operators and 60 Conductors. All the Operators got thrown into B-Division. Conductors got to choose until they had too many going into one division. All instructors cant stress enough trying to make it through probation. I wonder whats the percentage of people not making it through the year of probabtion

This Orientation they told us, that there were 30 Train Operators and 60 Conductors. All the Operators got thrown into B-Division. Conductors got to choose until they had too many going into one division. All instructors cant stress enough trying to make it through probation. I wonder whats the percentage of people not making it through the year of probabtion

I believe I heard an instructor during orientation say they expect about a 20% failure rate during schoolcar, which to me sounds a bit excessive, but they have the stats, I don't. For the rest of your probation period the failure rate is probably much lower, just do as you are taught and be careful opening those doors on those R162's. T/O's are total pros and will always show you the board (but don't get too comfortable, wait and look for it approaching stations) so acknowledge it even on terminal departures. Treat those 142's like 162's too as it's possible to open the door panels on the wrong side even on those, as I saw happen a week or two ago. This is a fantastic job where you're not just making money for the man, you're providing a safe reliable service to basically the whole metropolitan area, you're part of something so don't lose your job.

I took my drug test today and my number is in the 2500s range. Someone mentioned to me a 1 in 3 rule. Does anyone know about this rule? From my understanding this rule can have you removed from consideration for no reason what so ever. How far into consideration can this rule be applied?

@lawkev don't worry about 3-1 rule if u made it to DT your good! Just be upfront about everything I think 3-1 has something to do with criminal conviction that happened before 10 years ! Don't quote me I could be wrong. If you took drug test and then your ok! Usually when there's a problem you don't get drug test! They tell you they"ll send you something in mail I've seen it happen before

I believe I heard an instructor during orientation say they expect about a 20% failure rate during schoolcar, which to me sounds a bit excessive, but they have the stats, I don't. 

20% is pretty accurate. In my class of 20 C/R's, 2 of them didn't pass schoolcar and 2 more didn't pass probation. 1 of them has since promoted to T/O, and there are 15 of us left as C/Rs.

I took my drug test today and my number is in the 2500s range. Someone mentioned to me a 1 in 3 rule. Does anyone know about this rule? From my understanding this rule can have you removed from consideration for no reason what so ever. How far into consideration can this rule be applied?

@lawkev don't worry about 3-1 rule if u made it to DT your good! Just be upfront about everything I think 3-1 has something to do with criminal conviction that happened before 10 years ! Don't quote me I could be wrong. If you took drug test and then your ok! Usually when there's a problem you don't get drug test! They tell you they"ll send you something in mail I've seen it happen before

The 1-3 rule is (as explained to me yesterday) was that in the list number. They aren't allowed to skip over too many to hire them. For instance, they cant hire list number, 1, 8, 51, 78...or kinda like jump around too far in the list. If your list number is 1,2 and 3, they HAVE to hire at least ONE person within those 3 list numbers before moving to the next numbers. So if ALL THREE have a background, they HAVE to hire one of them in those 3. Or if like the next 50 people have a record. they HAVE To hire at least 1 in every 3. They cant skip the 50 people till they reach one without. (As i understood).

Guys can you help me out. I was on an outstanding certification for couple of months my list number is 2700s.i called dcas an the automated system says now I'm NOT currently on a outstanding certification. Any reason why this is? I figured I was next batch to be called up for DT when I was on an outstanding verification. Appreciate your help with this for you guys might be more informed than I

Archived