Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

So, i passed my practical..i thought i failed. But i got the go ahead. Today was the first day i went posting. I was on the 6 Line...and i had 3 round trips for the day. I must tell you,working with the 62s is a LOT harder when your new. Because, you have to make your announcements. Thing is, School Car teaches you rules and procedures. When you get out on that road, you'll find out everything is about time. You think to yourself, how can i do these procedures, yet at the same time your being called on the radio asking why are you behind schedule. My trainer had to take over for me lol. All of the new people....PRACTICE your announcements NOW. I mean, chances are you might get a 142. But if you don't it makes it harder. I know we're new and you have a chance to make small mistakes. But the time passes by quick and then you're on your own. If your on that 62 and forget your next station, you dont have the person next to you letting you know what it is. What i did, in that little brown book they gave me, i wrote my stations down along with transfer points. I leave it in my shirt pocket and can easily look down to see what my next stations are gonna be, and can also write next to it little notes about the station, or things i need to know. You don't wanna carry all them pieces of paper (the strip map) fumbling through it. I was lucky enough to get a 142 for my next 2 trips which simplified a LOT. I was able to focus more on the doors. But my instructor gave me some praise.

Also, your class is going to be your friends for the future. After passing the practical, i didnt think i would really talk to my classmates since we're moving on. But i find myself texting them during lunch and after work to see how they did for the day. Cuz, when you get to the crew rooms, everyone knows everyone almost. They share their stories, and you have no one to really do that with. You'll be doing that with your classmates through text of whatever you experienced through the day. One day you'll bump into them again while your waiting on a platform and they lower that window to point. Or even at a transfer point and their train pulls up across the platform from yours. I'm just sayin. 

Was TSS Abraham the one giving the practical?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey bklyndee...im here,its bern so busy...did our structure walk yesterday. ...that was scary ...but we got through it...had to stand clear for two trains to pass while up there. ..it was truly an experience. ..im loving every minuteSent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

thanks for the encouragement. ...cant wait to see when your called bklndeeSent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

@ BklynDee , happy Mother's Day to you as well, and thank you...also, yes they are very proud...:-)

@ Tim , hey buddy, so are we....we are climbing those trains, did our structure walk, emergency walk through tunnel, learning to dezone and open those doors....walking over that third rail was crazy, but I'm kinda getting used to it...one of my classmates lost her balance and actually ,with her hands landed on the protective guard, three people had to grab her, that was scary, a few more inches it would have been over!! This week has been very interesting....I miss talking to you guys...good luck all of you:-)@jlhb,@ hornet...

@ BklynDee , happy Mother's Day to you as well, and thank you...also, yes they are very proud...:-)

@ Tim , hey buddy, so are we....we are climbing those trains, did our structure walk, emergency walk through tunnel, learning to dezone and open those doors....walking over that third rail was crazy, but I'm kinda getting used to it...one of my classmates lost her balance and actually ,with her hands landed on the protective guard, three people had to grab her, that was scary, a few more inches it would have been over!! This week has been very interesting....I miss talking to you guys...good luck all of you:-)@jlhb,@ hornet...

Scary. My first time walking through the tunnels, i was a little terrified cuz i wasnt sure where the railes move. So im walking and thinking to myself, "i dont want my foot to get caught" Lol...when we got to Livonia, our instructor showed us what exactly moves. They called the tower, and demonstrated to us where it moves, and where to put your foot at if you're crossing over where it moves. 

But yea, after about a week of posting, ive almost made all my conductors fall asleep cuz ive been doing a good job. But get this tho, while doing the 1 line, i could have opened both front and rear zones at South Ferry, For those that dont know. Your only supposed to open the Front section of the train, because the back section is out the station. So you wait for the gap fillers to extend, THEN you wait for the 5 (meaning only 5 cars) to illuminate. Once it does, you only open the front section. Thing is, you just get so USED to the receptiveness of using your hand to push both OPEN buttons, you forget to use one finger. LUCKILY, they give conductors who are working the 1 line, these plastic shields the block the rear zone buttons. You just attach it before coming into south ferry. When it times to open the doors, that hard plastic shield prevents you from opening the back. When i opened my doors, i felt the shield, and thought to myself, "Oh shoot!" If that wasn't there...oh man. It would be nice if they had it for 14th street too.

How are you new class people doing anyway. Does anyone have the fredrick douglas looking guy as their instructor? I heard he is the best.  

@Vee @everyone Word!! I do miss seeing each other in the gym. Now we're all split up in our respective divisions. And doing our own thing. This experience from orientation to induction will forever be etched in our memories.

Ok i have question what happened to those who failed the Practical ? Is called right during the training of failed the midterm do they get fired or the give them a second shot?

Btw happy mother days to all the mothers in here enjoy your day. Also for those who are a single father enjoy it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived