Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ BklynDee , happy Mother's Day to you as well, and thank you...also, yes they are very proud...:-)

@ Tim , hey buddy, so are we....we are climbing those trains, did our structure walk, emergency walk through tunnel, learning to dezone and open those doors....walking over that third rail was crazy, but I'm kinda getting used to it...one of my classmates lost her balance and actually ,with her hands landed on the protective guard, three people had to grab her, that was scary, a few more inches it would have been over!! This week has been very interesting....I miss talking to you guys...good luck all of you:-)@jlhb,@ hornet...

Scary. My first time walking through the tunnels, i was a little terrified cuz i wasnt sure where the railes move. So im walking and thinking to myself, "i dont want my foot to get caught" Lol...when we got to Livonia, our instructor showed us what exactly moves. They called the tower, and demonstrated to us where it moves, and where to put your foot at if you're crossing over where it moves. 

But yea, after about a week of posting, ive almost made all my conductors fall asleep cuz ive been doing a good job. But get this tho, while doing the 1 line, i could have opened both front and rear zones at South Ferry, For those that dont know. Your only supposed to open the Front section of the train, because the back section is out the station. So you wait for the gap fillers to extend, THEN you wait for the 5 (meaning only 5 cars) to illuminate. Once it does, you only open the front section. Thing is, you just get so USED to the receptiveness of using your hand to push both OPEN buttons, you forget to use one finger. LUCKILY, they give conductors who are working the 1 line, these plastic shields the block the rear zone buttons. You just attach it before coming into south ferry. When it times to open the doors, that hard plastic shield prevents you from opening the back. When i opened my doors, i felt the shield, and thought to myself, "Oh shoot!" If that wasn't there...oh man. It would be nice if they had it for 14th street too.

How are you new class people doing anyway. Does anyone have the fredrick douglas looking guy as their instructor? I heard he is the best.  

great info WGS....that plastic guard seemed to help for the one train....i havent seen the TSS you are asking about...but my TSS is great!!!! TSS Goding, hes very informative and willing to explain everything in great detail....congrats to you making it this far!!!! you'll be on the road soon :-)

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

hi guys...Monday im doing the 3rd rail jumper...for anyone who has done it,how was it? what should i expect Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Some advice, don't trip over the jumper cable while chasing down your train. Also, it looks scarier than it is. Yeah there will be a large spark when you are on the hot end of the cable (which incidentally is the heavier end be prepared for that) so don't flinch and jump back that could be very dangerous remember there is an entire side of a train just above it made of metal. Seriously safety is first and foremost but at the same time if you let it intimidate you then you increase your chances of messing up. Listen to your instructors advice and don't stare directly at the rail just watch where you aim it and turn to watch your partner. They give protective insulated gloves that go up half way up your arms. You will be fine as long as you follow instructions. Oh and the cable welds against the 3rd rail slightly each time so taking the cable off you will need to give it a little force as you pull (I think they said rock it back and forth first to loosen it)

im reading the bulletin 36-12...sounds a little scary Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

You'll see a video of it right before you take turns doing it.

So i heard the girl in my class passed, so did the other guy in your class. He was on the 2 Line with me along with 2 of my other classmates. 

So i heard the girl in my class passed, so did the other guy in your class. He was on the 2 Line with me along with 2 of my other classmates. 

Forgot to reply to this last time but although I heard they were posting I did not hear anything beyond that. Did they have to retake the practical before they passed or what happened with that?

Yep Taylor's been here longer than I was even alive lol. Very knowledgeable though I had him as my TSS.

Some advice, don't trip over the jumper cable while chasing down your train. Also, it looks scarier than it is. Yeah there will be a large spark when you are on the hot end of the cable (which incidentally is the heavier end be prepared for that) so don't flinch and jump back that could be very dangerous remember there is an entire side of a train just above it made of metal. Seriously safety is first and foremost but at the same time if you let it intimidate you then you increase your chances of messing up. Listen to your instructors advice and don't stare directly at the rail just watch where you aim it and turn to watch your partner. They give protective insulated gloves that go up half way up your arms. You will be fine as long as you follow instructions. Oh and the cable welds against the 3rd rail slightly each time so taking the cable off you will need to give it a little force as you pull (I think they said rock it back and forth first to loosen it)

You'll see a video of it right before you take turns doing it.

Yes, this is definitely correct. It looks scary at first when you're out there and see the arc when others are doing it. When doing it, make sure the cable is going vertical on the ground towards your partner. If you need to adjust it, do so. If cable is making an "S" that can be dangerous if you're walking. What i did was adjust the cable, and when walking, you want to try and put more weight behind you then in front of you. Reason i did that was because its a combination of holding the heavy end of the cable, the heavy boots you have on, and the little rocks (i forget what you call them exactly) that your walking on, can make you lose balance. But like NYCTech said, just listen to instructions and its easily done. 

PS - I think i have the record for the longest walk that class...lol. 

Forgot to reply to this last time but although I heard they were posting I did not hear anything beyond that. Did they have to retake the practical before they passed or what happened with that?

Yeah, they had to take it again. The guy that was in your class, i saw friday. He's doing good. I forgot his name. 

@vee@brownhornet78 how are you guys! I've been busy studying perfecting my craft learning my job, things are starting to make sense! Happy Mother's Day Vee!

@Tim @everybody Yo tim Waddup!!!! Yeah I been doing the same! These signals are no joke.

Yea i been hesitating to call i dont want to bother her. I know the May 19 class must be packed by now. Wonder if the June and July if we on pace for then .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh same here I don't want to be harassing her. I Say by mid june we should hear soemthing if sooner than great but I say mid June

Yeh same here I don't want to be harassing her. I Say by mid june we should hear soemthing if sooner than great but I say mid June

Today was 3rd rail jumper, things are getting intense but I am loving it. I saw vee today' she did her thing on the 3rd rail!

Hey Tim,lololol...OMG I was so scared...you did your thing too buddy...lol...but all the encouragement I got n here helped me through it...you know who you are!!!...Thanks...it's nerve wrecking, but if you follow all instructions, you'll do fine...it's like a weight off my back...lololol...I feel very accomplished today...tomorrow we go to RCC, looking forward to that...have a goodnight y'all ..

What's up every1 I just wanted to let any1 who's waiting for school are about to be in school car feel free to ask any questions. Been busy in school car learning a lot and enjoying my new career! I am still here if anybody needs help! Each 1 teach 1! @ the end of the day we"re all in this together!

What's up every1 I just wanted to let any1 who's waiting for school are about to be in school car feel free to ask any questions. Been busy in school car learning a lot and enjoying my new career! I am still here if anybody needs help! Each 1 teach 1! @ the end of the day we"re all in this together!

^^what he said 100%^^

I just finished posting yesterday. All of my instructors said i did a good job, which was good to hear. It was definitely easier to work with the 142s instead of the 62s. But its good to know the 62s. Learn your stations.  Especially on the 1 and 3 lines (A Division) You have to make your own announcements, but it does keep you on your toes. For the people in school car now, their's one day they teach you about read the schedules, timetables, work programs, overtime, sick days, ETC. Please, ASK QUESTIONS. That day will go buy QUICK because they throw a LOT of information at you in ONE DAY. What i did in my free time is log into the site, and look up things like GOs, schedules, etc. So i have an idea of whats going on. WHen you guys go posting, ASK QUESTIONS, take notes. Like, how do you find your train, when do you dezone, leaving doors open, etc. on each line that your on. Because when you're out there by yourself, You gotta make like you know what you're doing. I've been fortunate enough to have some good help. Certain things that concerned me was, How do you know you're train is running express in a certain borough? Reason i asked that is cuz when you have to program the train. You  have to know where your going. And its a little harder if your not familiar with riding that train. Also, which sides to open up at which stations...Things like that. I hope you guys are having a god time learning all of this.

Archived