Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

I can understand making it competitive that's fine. but i have witnessed in the subway where the people who get called for these don't really care about the job and just use the job as a means to end. (example) like 4 months ago i was the Lex/53rd station waiting to catch a V over to Roc Center. I was at the middle of the platform and an E train came in and a tourist was standing a couple of feet from me with one of those pocket sized maps looking over it. He went up to the conductor and asked how to get to 81St. Natural History station. The conductor tells him after making his announcements that he doesn't know and closes the doors and goes on his merry way. I was standing there thinking what the f**k, questions like this are on the damn test for job and this a-hole had the balls to tell him he didn't know. So i went up to the guy and told him exactly what to do and he thanked me like 5 times and went on his way. Then i thought this is why people complain about TA employees being d-bags and JO's cause things like this must happen every day. Now i know that not all of the TA people are like this, but the few that are a-holes f**k it up for the rest of you guys. These are people that the TA needs to get rid of and put people in those spots who actually give a shit about their job of being a public servant.

I know this is an old thread. I'm only a few weeks out, but there were times that people would ask me questions, and my mind would just get a brain fart, and i would be like, "i don't know" or "i'm not sure." Thing is, especially on the 62's, i'm more focused on making my announcements and door operations. I'm the type of person that DOES want to help people to get where they're going. There have been times, questions from people throw me off on my operation, and i think safety is more important than directions. There have been times because my focus was on the doors and announcements, ive given the WRONG directions. I would prefer to give no directions than the wrong directions. And i felt BAD giving someone the wrong directions. When you're on schedule, (even late) your thinking time and operation. 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoning and Dezoning is specific to which cab your gonna operate from.. when your doing your walkthrough and get told which direction your going the operationg postion should already be in your head..... Also when I do my walkthrough I dezone the cab im not gonna operate from immediately to eliminate any problems... its a thing that gets better with time... i just want all my fellow probies to make as simple as I have.. Good luck to you all

HEYYYY,

JLHB,BB ,Tim and Hornet...HOW THE HELL ARE YA...lololol...I'm joking...hey guys how have you been? And of course everyone else on here...hope when you read this, you all are in great spirits....well, today was bitter sweet day...it was the last day of school car....Practical is on Monday, and Midterm is on Tuesday...I'm Soo nervous..but hey, I'll leave it in Gods hands...one thing for sure, I was Sooo lucky with both my TSS 's... Goding and Banks....they are just the most nicest, and understanding and so informative...they really take the time to explain....I love them to death, sad the class ended so soon, but whoever is going to B division is lucky to have them this next class...anyway, these are the final 2 weeks coming up and then it's SHOWTIME...I just wanted to wish everyone on here good luck, best wishes and if there are any questions, please don't hesitate...take care, and God bless xoxoxo

Mr Stephen Banks is an oldschool gentleman. A hard find in the stressful world that is the NYCT.

Today was a bitter sweet day! To my bros and sis in Crb31 we did it! WE ALL PAST PRACTICAL AND MIDTERM! I'd like to think my 2 instructors for molding us Mr #1 k Taylor & John ET! To all the people waiting and the class that's in school car now remember this! READ READ READ! IN THE BEGINING THINGS ARE GONNA BE VERY CONFUSING! SOME WILL GET IT FASTER THEN OTHERS JUST REMEMBER ITS NOT HOW YOU START ITS ABOUT HOW YOU FINISH!!!

Today was a bitter sweet day! To my bros and sis in Crb31 we did it! WE ALL PAST PRACTICAL AND MIDTERM! I'd like to think my 2 instructors for molding us Mr #1 k Taylor & John ET! To all the people waiting and the class that's in school car now remember this! READ READ READ! IN THE BEGINING THINGS ARE GONNA BE VERY CONFUSING! SOME WILL GET IT FASTER THEN OTHERS JUST REMEMBER ITS NOT HOW YOU START ITS ABOUT HOW YOU FINISH!!!

You had Kenny Taylor too? Wow he got B division this class. Very knowledgeable.

Today was a bitter sweet day! To my bros and sis in Crb31 we did it! WE ALL PAST PRACTICAL AND MIDTERM! I'd like to think my 2 instructors for molding us Mr #1 k Taylor & John ET! To all the people waiting and the class that's in school car now remember this! READ READ READ! IN THE BEGINING THINGS ARE GONNA BE VERY CONFUSING! SOME WILL GET IT FASTER THEN OTHERS JUST REMEMBER ITS NOT HOW YOU START ITS ABOUT HOW YOU FINISH!!!Today was a bitter sweet day! To my bros and sis in Crb31 we did it! WE ALL PAST PRACTICAL AND MIDTERM! I'd like to think my 2 instructors for molding us Mr #1 k Taylor & John ET! To all the people waiting and the class that's in school car now remember this! READ READ READ! IN THE BEGINING THINGS ARE GONNA BE VERY CONFUSING! SOME WILL GET IT FASTER THEN OTHERS JUST REMEMBER ITS NOT HOW YOU START ITS ABOUT HOW YOU FINISH!!!

What he said ⬆⬆⬆⬆.

I just wanna say CONGRATS to alllll who are posting tomorrow ...I'm so excited...good luck to you all....it's been an incredible journey and I'm glad to have met all of you...and for those who are in school car now, like Tim said, READ,READ,READ...AND DONT BE LATE, EVER!!!!!

I can't believe we are having the same conversation we were reading a few months ago from other conductors to us....lol. Pay close attention and make friends, they will give you the support needed to get through this....I love everyone I met there and I know well be in touch for years to come...take care for now, and again best wishes to all of you.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'll be honest Mr Banks seems very knowledgeable but my classmates are complaining because of the way he projects his thoughts and feel they won't get through school car with him as a TSS. I did like Palmer but he is only gonna be there for 1 day. We don't even know who our 2nd instructor is gonna be because they are short on them and my class is the only 1 without stable TSS's so I hope this issue gets fixed soon.

P.S The Rail Control Center is awesome. Great experience there today.

@thekidday about 1 1/2 to 2 months it depends on how many CR They need. There's a class in now be patient your up next. Just keep reading the posts soak up all the knowledge so you can be ready. School car is interesting but it's a different ball game when your opening doors with people on the train!

@thekidday yeah once your finish medical and everything checks out you raise your hand and you get sworn in! I know your ready to roll we all was. Any questions just ask bro!

@thekidday it's going to happen! Probably next class Your almost there! Find some one on here who took DT around same time as you that way u can keep each other informed about the process . I've met some really good people on here and we went through the waiting game together school car together and we formed a bond!

I've had two of you so far this week. Both did a great job, especially considering that it was your first and second day. We were given some rough circumstances to work with too (yes, that's what it's like when the road BLOWS UP). A couple things to remember to ask about when you get back to your class:

Get the route guide book, or at least a photocopy of it. Schoolcar has been in short supply of them lately, but bug your instructors about it. These books have every single important # you need, including all of the places where you will be signing in (NEVER EVER show up late to a job without calling them in advance to let them know if you are running late) as well as a bunch of other helpful information.

Fill out the crew office preference sheet as soon as possible, This will tell them what days off and tour you prefer to work once you get out on the road. Once again, ask your instructors about it.

Apparently you also never received a list of radio channels. Keep this as a reference:

(1) through (6) - always 01 A-CMD
(7)(N)(Q)(J)(L) - always 04 B1-CMD
(A)(C)(E)(H)(G) - always 06 B2-CMD
(B)(D) - B2 from 205 St until you get outside on the Grand St side of the bridge, B1 for Brooklyn and the entire bridge (change as soon as you get into the tunnel coming into Grand)
(F) - B2 from 179 until you get outside south of Church. B1 from Stillwell until you get underground north of Ditmas.
(M) - B2 from Continental until Essex, B1 from Metropolitan until Essex. Change in the station at Essex.
(R) - B1 for all of Brooklyn, Manhattan and the 60 St tube. B2 Continental to Queens Plaza. Change in the station at Queens Plaza.

yards I'm a bit unsure about, especially in the B-Div. If you have a job with a put-in or layup, doublecheck when you sign in. Note that some yards use the CMD channels rather than the Yard channels.

Yard frequencies can be found in bulletin 127-10 on TENS (Go to Bulletin Board from the RTO Page and select RTO Bulletins, then click "Bulletins 2010" on the left).

That way, I don't have to post them here.

The only one that's incorrect is 240th Yard on the 1 line. That's Yard, not A train to train.

The thing about the radios, sometimes i had a problem as to who they were to referring to. Took me a while to get it. Like i would here "Flat to white" and i'd be thinking, "there's no white plains rd station on the 2, it's going to Wakefield-241st" lol. Or things like i here, Unionport. I think to myself, i dont remember seeing a unionport station. Things like that i have to remember.

Met a couple of the students posting yesterday on the 1 line. Gave them a little advice being that im 3 weeks out of schoolcar lol

The thing about the radios, sometimes i had a problem as to who they were to referring to. Took me a while to get it. Like i would here "Flat to white" and i'd be thinking, "there's no white plains rd station on the 2, it's going to Wakefield-241st" lol. Or things like i here, Unionport. I think to myself, i dont remember seeing a unionport station. Things like that i have to remember.

Met a couple of the students posting yesterday on the 1 line. Gave them a little advice being that im 3 weeks out of schoolcar lol

Yup in A Division there's slang for a few places, most of it common sense, but here it is anyway.

"White" or "White Plains" for 241st.

"VC" for 242nd St. on the 1 (Van Cortlandt Park)

"The East" for East 180th St. generally. Could be used for the yard or the station, although you'll hear East 180th and Unionport Yards collectively get referred to as "East Yard".

"The Ferry" for South Ferry

"The Green" for Bowling Green

"The Bridge" for Brooklyn Bridge

"Livonia Yard" and "New Lots Yard" are the same place. Technically it's Livonia, but you'll hear plenty of people call it New Lots Yard.

"Flat" for Flatbush.

"Mott" or "Mott Avenue" is often used for 149th St. Grand Concourse, although some higher ups are trying to do away with that. Originally the upper level station was 149th St. and the lower level station was Mott Avenue in the Mott Haven section in the Bronx. Just know that when you hear this, IRT people are not talking about Far Rockaway in the B Division hah

To all in school car when you do your road simulation observe and pay attention,it's gonna be fun but it's a big difference when your doing the real thing.You have slow passengers getting on and off the train.You have passengers asking you directions, You might have a holding light ! It's real out here!!!! Everything I've learned in school car is making a lot of sense.Iam starting to develope my technique. It's an easy job but never get to comfortable or to cocky because that's when you will make an error!VERY IMPORTANT ! THE BOARD IS YOUR BEST FRIEND GREET IT @ Every STATION!!!!!!!

Archived