Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI on a train with door enablers, any TSS, Superintendent, or T/O with half a brain can simply be sitting in the cab of the train AT THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN and know what you did while never looking behind them. 

Heck I spotted it from across the platform. One of my students last week went to run before his front section indication came in after making at least 30 good stops beforehand. I quickly gave my T/O a long buzz and reinstructed him (it was an honest mistake), but also warned him that if it happened a second time, I was gonna take his key away.

How long is the training?

For conductors in the A-Div, it's 6 weeks. 7 weeks in the B-Div. Not long enough, IMO.

Almost done with my posting and all the conductors i've worked with have told me that from the way I make the announcements clear and legible to the procedure of closing down and opening the doors that my career here will be long and prosperous....you just gotta pay attention.and follow the rules....one slip up and your gone while on probation...

P.S while posting on one of the lines the T/O overan the board..im just gonna say that was crazy situation.

congrats!!!! you'll be out here before the end of the summer...congrats...whats your list number range so everyone cab have an idea where they are at with the calling for classes ....BEST WISHES AND GOOD LUCK!!!!Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

oh.BTW. that message is for BKLYNDEESent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

P.S while posting on one of the lines the T/O overan the board..im just gonna say that was crazy situation.

When you say overran, do you mean just off the window, or was the board past the first set of doors behind you?

Remember, always talk to your T/O FIRST before you get on the radio. Many stations, especially in B2 territory, have extra long platforms, and you can be off the board and still have the whole train in the station. And if you are running with 4 or 8 cars, you can be off the board by A LOT. I know the first thing C/R schoolcar teaches you is how to bang in your partner, but always be sure you have a legitimate violation first. Believe me, if the T/O is off the platform, they will react before you will.

Also keep in mind that there have been a string of C/R's hanging THEMSELVES for overruns by writing G2s that incriminate themselves by not following procedure. Know bulletins 51-14 and 100-11 to the letter, and carry them with you on duty just in case you have to write one.

For conductors in the A-Div, it's 6 weeks. 7 weeks in the B-Div. Not long enough, IMO.

What's the difference between the two divisions? Are you allowed to choose?

I am starting on June 30. What can I do to prepare in the mean time? I don't need to over think this but if there is something I can get a head start on I will.

Thanks

@ law A division are the number line with smaller train length car. And alot of the stations has curves. The B division is the letter lines longer train car length and a bit more diffcult due to trains use different train cars and the size. But is alot to learn which im very anxious to learn ill find out this wedensday if imma be in the June 30 th class.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

When you say overran, do you mean just off the window, or was the board past the first set of doors behind you?

Remember, always talk to your T/O FIRST before you get on the radio. Many stations, especially in B2 territory, have extra long platforms, and you can be off the board and still have the whole train in the station. And if you are running with 4 or 8 cars, you can be off the board by A LOT. I know the first thing C/R schoolcar teaches you is how to bang in your partner, but always be sure you have a legitimate violation first. Believe me, if the T/O is off the platform, they will react before you will.

Also keep in mind that there have been a string of C/R's hanging THEMSELVES for overruns by writing G2s that incriminate themselves by not following procedure. Know bulletins 51-14 and 100-11 to the letter, and carry them with you on duty just in case you have to write one.

the board was at the second door of the car I was operating from...he did have room as we were in an 8 car 160 and that station was built for an 8 car r46....but just for policy sake if a TSS is on that train wouldnt I get in trouble for not calling control if the T/O stopped at the wrong marker? its a very funny situation down here that will involve judgement calls by you the C/R... and mind you your on probation so one slip up and your gone... 

If you are in a shorter train (like on the (C) or (M) in B2 territory) you ALWAYS IC the T/O and ask if they are on the platform before you do anything else (and if you have any doubt, key yourself off and check yourself). Some T/O's will give you two buzzes as soon as they stop and enable you before you can IC them (and if they enable you when they are in fact outside of the station, then they are hanging themselves twice, and it's going from a reinstruction to weeks in the street for them). This is assuming that they actually stop the train. If it looks like they're not even slowing down and are going to keep on going as you approach the board, then you pull the cord before the whole train has a chance to get outside the station. As long as the entire train is on the platform when the train is stopped, and all doors can open within platform limits, then it isn't a violation and there's no need to call it in. Yes, these are the kind of judgement calls you need to make as a C/R.

We had a couple of probies down here who quickly grew a reputation for pulling the cord/banging in T/O's without even ascertaining the situation first, and everybody learned their names really fast. That is not the type of attention you want to have when working here.

Heck I spotted it from across the platform. One of my students last week went to run before his front section indication came in after making at least 30 good stops beforehand. I quickly gave my T/O a long buzz and reinstructed him (it was an honest mistake), but also warned him that if it happened a second time, I was gonna take his key away.

A simple reinstruction should have sufficed, no need to threaten with "taking away his key". This is the problem down here, too many new people are being scared for their jobs when they come out.

As for the proper procedure when the train overruns the board, READ it is all right there. There is no reason for new conductors to go all "statue of liberty" with the cord.

If the train stops off of a conductor's board:

-The conductor is supposed to communicate with his/her partner and ask if the train is at the proper mark. If the train is short of the mark, the conductor and train operator communicate, and the train operator pulls up the correct mark.

-If the train operator responds that the train is at the proper mark and all doors abreast of the platform, the conductor may open the doors provided it is safe to do so. If, for some reason, the conductor is unsure the train is in the station, they are to key themself off and walk the platform a sufficient distance to determine the train is properly berthed in the station.

-If the train is in the station, they may open the doors.

There is no reason to activate the cord and bang in the T/O until all other procedures have been followed first, as the train may well be within station limits, or transit may be efficiency testing C/Rs, so there may not be a board on purpose at that location. Not to mention other situations which have occurred down here like people stealing the conductor's board or covering it it.

Back in march I took my DT. Got called in may for final processing but had to delay. So I got called for a second DT and went this past tuesday. Friday I got called for medical and final processing again Which I'm able to make this Friday the 20th for the June 30th class! Finally!

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

A simple reinstruction should have sufficed, no need to threaten with "taking away his key". This is the problem down here, too many new people are being scared for their jobs when they come out.

You might have missed it but he did state that he re-instructed the student once informed that it was an honest mistake, but did warn that he would take a certain action if it happened again, which at the end of the day, is the right thing to do.

Transit gives you one time to mess up and will provide re-instruction afterwards. After your one time free pass the consequences go up.and Snowblock's instruction was to simulate exactly what happens and I agree completely. Sure Snowblock has to protect himself, but he also has to protect the passengers as well.

This Thursday makes a month in school car for me! my instructor is mad quiet just pray you get someone that likes to talk cause its like pulling teeth unless you only get an answer if you ask and the answer is like jibberish when he responds back to you.

Students need to learn up front that it is never okay to turn the key to run until they have checked that their front and rear indication is solid. And you know what, he didn't do it again that day. And it's an even bigger safety issue on trains with enablers, since you can't even reopen that section until you get enabled a second time, and if you have a T/O who isn't on point, they might be watching the enabler light and try to take off when the light comes back on, and then whoever was stuck in the doors will be stuck for even longer and now the train might start rolling......

This Thursday makes a month in school car for me! my instructor is mad quiet just pray you get someone that likes to talk cause its like pulling teeth unless you only get an answer if you ask and the answer is like jibberish when he responds back to you.

Do you have Banks?

Hi everyone,

Well today was the last day of school car...it has been a journey. Tomorrow is my first day on the road, I'm excited and nervous at the same time....to everyone just getting into school car or any future classes, first, NEVER BE LATE, EVER!!!! Read your materials, form a study group with your classmates, practice your announcements, and ask all the questions you can think of....the TSS's are there to help, they will assist you the best way they can, but you have to do your part...read,read,read!!!! You might feel a little intimidated, but don't give up, your gonna make it !!!! Good luck, and best wishes to you all...be easy

Banks is my main TSS so are you in my class and referring to him?

He just takes awhile to open up but he is very knowledgable. It just comes off like he is shy when it comes to presenting things. But I like his method in that he would rather us do things hands on and be physically on the train instead of just reading books.

Banks is my main TSS so are you in my class and referring to him?

He just takes awhile to open up but he is very knowledgable. It just comes off like he is shy when it comes to presenting things. But I like his method in that he would rather us do things hands on and be physically on the train instead of just reading books.

He's definitely a hands-on kinda guy. Every now and then you might have to steer him away from something unrelated to what you are going to be tested on. He doesn't mind a million questions either, just make sure you understand him because his explanations can be quite lengthy. I had him, he'll prepare you.

Hi everyone,

Well today was the last day of school car...it has been a journey. Tomorrow is my first day on the road, I'm excited and nervous at the same time....to everyone just getting into school car or any future classes, first, NEVER BE LATE, EVER!!!! Read your materials, form a study group with your classmates, practice your announcements, and ask all the questions you can think of....the TSS's are there to help, they will assist you the best way they can, but you have to do your part...read,read,read!!!! You might feel a little intimidated, but don't give up, your gonna make it !!!! Good luck, and best wishes to you all...be easy

^^what she said^^

Archived