Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

So did this happened at a ternimal stop ? So the train left conducter while in passenger service? Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This was at a G.O. location, not a terminal but the train was a baseball special. It was probably the last stop before it had to go back to the yard so it could have been worse. I don't have real details on that but speculation by whoever was there said it sounded like she was supposed to leave the train to clear it out so it could go back but she didn't get back on when he took off. If that were the case she should have either pulled the cord when leaving her cab and walking outside (as per schoolcar) or walked through from the inside or at the very least what I see some senior conductors do is leave a crew door open for herself while she is out just so it doesn't pass indication (but really don't suggest relying on that)

Wait, what?? LOL details man, hit me up on the PM, NYTech

Maybe when I get a little more time or when I see you in person again remind me if I didn't by then.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was at a G.O. location, not a terminal but the train was a baseball special. It was probably the last stop before it had to go back to the yard so it could have been worse. I don't have real details on that but speculation by whoever was there said it sounded like she was supposed to leave the train to clear it out so it could go back but she didn't get back on when he took off. If that were the case she should have either pulled the cord when leaving her cab and walking outside (as per schoolcar) or walked through from the inside or at the very least what I see some senior conductors do is leave a crew door open for herself while she is out just so it doesn't pass indication (but really don't suggest relying on that)

Maybe when I get a little more time or when I see you in person again remind me if I didn't by then.

Ooooooh I see. That sounds like a 4 from 161st to Bowling Green express on a Baseball special. She got off to clear the train of passengers and didn't get back in time to ride light. The way it works is, T/O and Conductor check their respective cars for passengers then walk back to their position to IC themselves that they are good to proceed and the Conductor rides back light to yard (no real need to go to yard for C/R) or gets dropped off somewhere in the BX to take a 4 train back to Woodlawn and do a few hours of waa before going home.

She's not in any real trouble because all she had to do was take another 4 train back to Woodlawn and she's home free as that train is officially OOS, that is if the train was really clear of passengers when she got off (ESPECIALLY in her five cars), if not, they will come for you hard. What's weird is that T/O left without getting confirmation from her that the train was clear, not cool. Some C/R's don't like clearing trains walking through the inside because there is always the possibility the train could leave with you in it (you leave a crew door open you might have to kick out some angry Yankee fans talking bout "what you mean the train is OOS?" when you get back). In the case of a Baseball special, check the train by walking through it, it doesn't matter if the train leaves with you in it, you are supposed to be in it in the unlikely event control wants to put that train back in service. Tell T/O a stop before not to take off without getting confirmation from you, or leave the train in TERM as you walk through it.

Actually it's normal procedure with baseball specials to ride the NEXT train back, not your train. The conductor is supposed to stay behind so that when the next baseball special comes in, they can assist in cleaning it out as well, and then ride that one back, while the conductor who brought that second train in drops back to assist with the third.

Does anyone know if they teach you sign signals in school?

Yes, and there is a signal exam for conductors now too. You will be given a guide with all signals you need to know.

Has anyone had to miss a day of training due to and emergency? How did it affect your training?

I ask because I have a court date on 7/28 and I start training on 6/30. I'm afraid it my fall on an exam day or something. I will try to postpone it but I'm not sure if I can.

I may also be able to come in late that day.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Actually it's normal procedure with baseball specials to ride the NEXT train back, not your train. The conductor is supposed to stay behind so that when the next baseball special comes in, they can assist in cleaning it out as well, and then ride that one back, while the conductor who brought that second train in drops back to assist with the third.

That is the troof. Depends on the TSS though, some tell you to just go back to Woodlawn. Some want everybody to pile up down at BG and assist cleaning out the trains and you all take the last special uptown and some do what you said.

Ooooooh I see. That sounds like a 4 from 161st to Bowling Green express on a Baseball special. She got off to clear the train of passengers and didn't get back in time to ride light. The way it works is, T/O and Conductor check their respective cars for passengers then walk back to their position to IC themselves that they are good to proceed and the Conductor rides back light to yard (no real need to go to yard for C/R) or gets dropped off somewhere in the BX to take a 4 train back to Woodlawn and do a few hours of waa before going home.

She's not in any real trouble because all she had to do was take another 4 train back to Woodlawn and she's home free as that train is officially OOS, that is if the train was really clear of passengers when she got off (ESPECIALLY in her five cars), if not, they will come for you hard. What's weird is that T/O left without getting confirmation from her that the train was clear, not cool. Some C/R's don't like clearing trains walking through the inside because there is always the possibility the train could leave with you in it (you leave a crew door open you might have to kick out some angry Yankee fans talking bout "what you mean the train is OOS?" when you get back). In the case of a Baseball special, check the train by walking through it, it doesn't matter if the train leaves with you in it, you are supposed to be in it in the unlikely event control wants to put that train back in service. Tell T/O a stop before not to take off without getting confirmation from you, or leave the train in TERM as you walk through it.

Thanks I didn't have that yet so I wasn't aware of the procedure. I just don't like to see fellow coworkers getting into trouble for stuff like that.

Yes, and there is a signal exam for conductors now too. You will be given a guide with all signals you need to know.

Ahh good to know although sounds like something I would wanna know ahead of time before cleaning out my train whether by dispatcher, TSS or my partner. This is the kind of reason I like asking things ahead of time if I think of it. Being there was no TSS at the platform at that time she did the right thing by asking RCC as a last resort but that cannot look too good

Is that new or just the same signal exam we took too during schoolcar (just an exam not like the test I hear that the T/O's need to ace)

You haven't seen anything yet. Posting is where you REALLY learn the job. If you have any uptown PM postings, you might get me.

I wonder if I had anyone from here while posting

Yes. I started in the A though. I had one student on the (5) back in 2012, otherwise they've all been on the (B)(C) and (D)

Well I start at Bedford Park Monday morning. Quick question. I report to sign in at the crew room on the northbound side but after I sign in I go to the dispatcher on the southbound platform since I'm doing the B line right?

Just remember when you exit the Bedford Park CRC to hit the EXIT button on the left wall BEFORE you go up the stairs. Once you climb that first step you've already gone too far if you haven't hit it. If you go all the way to the top and try the gate, it won't open, you have to go back down and get the button.

One of the more peculiar locations in the entire system for that sort of thing.

Well I start at Bedford Park Monday morning. Quick question. I report to sign in at the crew room on the northbound side but after I sign in I go to the dispatcher on the southbound platform since I'm doing the B line right?

Is that the 0600 report? If it was still the Winter pick I'd probably be posting you, but I went back to PMs this summer.

When you get to BPK, at both exits after you go up the stairs there's a gate on the east side of the mezzanaine you need to swipe to unlock (it's within fare control at the south end, outside of fare control at the north end), so keep walking and swiping until you encounter the door with a paper sign that says CRC on it, which is where you'll sign in.

@Tim... Waddup Tim, Congrats!! Yo man... This ain't a joke! I just passed my midterm, and FIRST yard practical, then next Friday is my signals. This is crazy!

Hey Hornet! Congratulations, I'm sure you'll continue to do well. 

lucky u...show off...lmao,jk,jk Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

LOL since I wrote that, they have been putting me to work... I sat on the board for 6 hours then got half a job. So far so good. 

@Tim... Waddup Tim, Congrats!! Yo man... This ain't a joke! I just passed my midterm, and FIRST yard practical, then next Friday is my signals. This is crazy!

Hey Hornet! Congratulations, I'm sure you'll continue to do well. 

lucky u...show off...lmao,jk,jk Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

LOL since I wrote that, they have been putting me to work... I sat on the board for 6 hours then got half a job. So far so good. 

Waddup Stranger!!! @JLHB Thanks for the encouragement! How you and @Tim been?

Does anyone know when this exam expires?

Well, I did a little bit of research and from http://thechiefleader.com/news/civil_service/conductor-list-extended/article_86b6f61a-c63d-11e3-92bb-0017a43b2370.html, the list was established in May of 2011, therefore it definitely won't expire until May 2015 the earliest.

Now, according to post #3629 on page 363 of this topic, they are up to #2,643 and there are 14,880 eligible candidates, which means they are not even 1/4 done with the current list. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if this does not expire until maybe the year 2019 or so...

Archived