Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Y2Julio

Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Hi, when I started I found me some button up shirts from the men section in the gap and I got some navy blue slacks from target. I suggest getting a few pairs of each because the uniform will take some time to come. I started in October and i'm still waiting for some shirts. The boots that you'll get will be heavy and hot and be prepared to carry a lot of equipment. Make sure you have everything with you everyday because they will check it. Also have a watch. Preferably digital because they only use military time in transit but any watch will do. BE EARLY, NOT ON TIME. They will drill that in your head from day one. If you are not familiar with the train system get familiar because you will going places that you probably have never traveled. Get a map and always have an alternate route because they will not accept you didn't know how to get here, there or anywhere. If you choose to drive, leave early cause you have to find parking at some of these locations. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Ask questions. Take notes. It's going to be hard at first because they speak transit talk but once you get in the field it will all make sense.

Congratulations and Good Luck :)

Thank you so much for your response. May I ask, did they allow you to choose a division or were you thrown in? And what did you wear on your feet before the uniform boots came ?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for your response. May I ask, did they allow you to choose a division or were you thrown in? And what did you wear on your feet before the uniform boots came ?

I was able to pick my own division. I'm in B which is he letter lines. I'm closer so it works for me. They go by list number from lowest to highest. After everyone is assigned you get split into different classes in that division. It will be about 10 people per class per division. There are different classes for Conductors and Train Operators.

When I first started I just wore some black timberlands and some people wore those ACG boots but once you go and select boots you have to wear them from day on. I wore them for months but I recently purchased a new pair that's a lot less heavy and more comfortable. They will explain how you can get alternative footwear.

I was able to pick my own division. I'm in B which is he letter lines. I'm closer so it works for me. They go by list number from lowest to highest. After everyone is assigned you get split into different classes in that division. It will be about 10 people per class per division. There are different classes for Conductors and Train Operators.

When I first started I just wore some black timberlands and some people wore those ACG boots but once you go and select boots you have to wear them from day on. I wore them for months but I recently purchased a new pair that's a lot less heavy and more comfortable. They will explain how you can get alternative footwear.

That's so good to know. I'm sure I have the lowest number 2959 and I heard everyone is in the 4500s and Up. I was called in 2014 but couldn't take it at the time. That's awesome because I really need A division, I live in the Bronx :) did you take your rules & regulations books and the others they gave you to the first day of class ?

That's so good to know. I'm sure I have the lowest number 2959 and I heard everyone is in the 4500s and Up. I was called in 2014 but couldn't take it at the time. That's awesome because I really need A division, I live in the Bronx :) did you take your rules & regulations books and the others they gave you to the first day of class ?

Ok so you should be good. I know when some people started they weren't allowed to pick. I guess some classes are different. I took everything with me everyday until they told me otherwise. When you go to the school (ps 248) you will get two more books that you will carry with you everyday and then your equipment will follow later. Get a bag that is comfortable to carry everything. I bought one of those Husky bags to start because your not allowed to have a backpack. You need something with removable straps cause you will be crossing the tracks in the yard. Once you get out on your own you can change it.

Ok so you should be good. I know when some people started they weren't allowed to pick. I guess some classes are different. I took everything with me everyday until they told me otherwise. When you go to the school (ps 248) you will get two more books that you will carry with you everyday and then your equipment will follow later. Get a bag that is comfortable to carry everything. I bought one of those Husky bags to start because your not allowed to have a backpack. You need something with removable straps cause you will be crossing the tracks in the yard. Once you get out on your own you can change it.

I'm not exactly sure what u mean by husky bag but I'm sure they'll explain, because I honestly thought a backpack would be the best thing being that it's hands free. If we start on Monday is schoolcar that Thursday? And how is it now that you're done training !? U like it ? What are your shifts like ?

I'm not exactly sure what u mean by husky bag but I'm sure they'll explain, because I honestly thought a backpack would be the best thing being that it's hands free. If we start on Monday is schoolcar that Thursday? And how is it now that you're done training !? U like it ? What are your shifts like ?

not in transit logic. You'll see.

if they plan on having classes every month then I am good. Just have to wait. It's just exciting to see people getting called lol.

Hey Devon, a friend if mine just got his letter for pre employment a few days ago his list number is 59xx they are not going in order. You will get called soon! That's awesome!

Hey Devon, a friend if mine just got his letter for pre employment a few days ago his list number is 59xx they are not going in order. You will get called soon! That's awesome!

That's is awesome news. Thanks for the info.

not in transit logic. You'll see.

I'm sorry. Husky is the brand. I got one from Home Depot. You can google it and they have plenty to choose from. You can use a backpack but it has to have a removable strap because when you go onto the tracks in the yard, you have to carry it in your hand. I bought a bag from Amazon. Koolertron Canvas Rucksack. It's a nice bag with a removable strap.

Monday-Thursday is pretty much orientation and you will meet your instructor on Friday to start. Training is only 6 weeks. Towards the end of your training you will post(hands on training) on the different lines in your division. You will have a midterm and final at the end. Like I said STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. I started in October and was out and on my own in the field the end of December.

I'm on AM's and I love that your. I was nervous at first but I've gotten used to it. When you first start you're going to be all over the place on different lines everyday. It will be frustrating but take your time. Don't let anyone rush you and as soon as you sign in tell them that you're new to the line and they will usually have a supervisor ride with you.

I'm sorry. Husky is the brand. I got one from Home Depot. You can google it and they have plenty to choose from. You can use a backpack but it has to have a removable strap because when you go onto the tracks in the yard, you have to carry it in your hand. I bought a bag from Amazon. Koolertron Canvas Rucksack. It's a nice bag with a removable strap.

Monday-Thursday is pretty much orientation and you will meet your instructor on Friday to start. Training is only 6 weeks. Towards the end of your training you will post(hands on training) on the different lines in your division. You will have a midterm and final at the end. Like I said STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. I started in October and was out and on my own in the field the end of December.

I'm on AM's and I love that your. I was nervous at first but I've gotten used to it. When you first start you're going to be all over the place on different lines everyday. It will be frustrating but take your time. Don't let anyone rush you and as soon as you sign in tell them that you're new to the line and they will usually have a supervisor ride with you.

Good Info, what would you say is the most frustrating thing when you first start?

Thanks so much! You've been so helpful !

Thank you so very much for your information! How hard is it to pull yourself onto the train? I know you have to pull yourself up on to the train when your on the tracks... I'm nervous about that part.

Thank you so very much for your information! How hard is it to pull yourself onto the train? I know you have to pull yourself up on to the train when your on the tracks... I'm nervous about that part.

You're very welcome. The first time for me it was hard because I'm short but after sometime it becomes second nature. Just remember you have to keep three points of contact when you get on. The will show you how to do it. I'm not going to tell you not to be nervous because i was a wreck the first week. Just take your time, listen because the transit talk is going to be the most difficult (for me it was), and take notes. Those notes will help you later on when you are out on your own. Once your done with training and out by yourself everything that you learned in those six weeks will make so much sense. Trust me lol. Keep in touch.

So I called this morning to only be told they have not gotten to me yet for my medical good thing I did not take anytime off from my regular job yet

• Upvote 1

So I called this morning to only be told they have not gotten to me yet for my medical good thing I did not take anytime off from my regular job yet

It really sucks waiting for the medical. A gentleman that's works there told me that they can call me anywhere between the next day and 3 months.. I went for the drug test in march and didn't get called for medical until Nearly 2 months later... the good thing is that they will call you. The waiting sucks when you feel like your almost there....

Hi everyone. I'm also new to this forum.

I recently completed pre-screening last week and everything went well. Now just waiting for email or call in regards to my medical date. Hope to be in the July 25 training. Is there anyone else waiting for the same training date???

• Upvote 1

I recently completed pre-screening last week and everything went well. Now just waiting for email or call in regards to my medical date. Hope to be in the July 25 training. Is there anyone else waiting for the same training date???

congratulations, what's your list number?

Hey I recently did mines as well and hoping to get called for the July class. Best of luck to you

Misty what is your list number?

My list number 60**. I was surprised to be called and look at it as 'what God has for me, he will give it no matter where I'm on the list'. Glad I had the opportunity to at least make it for round 1 regardless of the outcome.