Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Y2Julio

Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

i would like to know how much they start you off with ? and those who are done with training , how are you liking the job? how was training like and the practical exams consist of?

I am currently making $21 per hr at the hospital with M-F job schedule for 10 years now , just wondering if its worth the move..the only thing I will do it for is the pension

They most likely will probably only hire up to list number 6,200 on 8094. I'm just saying anything beyond that seems highly unlikely cause the exam is expiring in 9 months.

Misty so which class do they expect to put you in?

In the information class, she mentioned 2 classes, July and August. She also said that she sends out 6 times the amount of seating available due to people not having all documents, passing the drug or medical test, etc. So not sure what will happen. I currently work with the state and they said I can transfer my years, so that would be great. Also to reach top pay for the state is 7 years but I believe the MTA is less. And night differential sounds even better to me

• Upvote 1

Misty in all honesty I can almost guarantee you that you are not gonna make the August class with a list number of 6,0xx. You might get hired right before the list expires in February but it will not be this August. In order to get a class of 40 conductors they go through 160 names on the list.

Misty in all honesty I can almost guarantee you that you are not gonna make the August class with a list number of 6,0xx. You might get hired right before the list expires in February but it will not be this August. In order to get a class of 40 conductors they go through 160 names on the list.

I look at it as if God wants to give it to me, I'll get it no matter what. I was just appreciated he gave me the opportunity to get to the 1 step regardless of the outcome.

You can't guarantee anything The MTA is very unpredictable with their hiring procedures. Just like you were so sure that no one in the 6000's were gonna get called. Stop with your lack of faith.  Please always be positive! As I've said before the list stops in February of each year then they start calling people again from it for another year. But now since this new exam has been given I think this list will officially end in 2018. meaning that they will not open it up again because of this list of potential employees. With that being said I believe that everyone that I have seen posting in this forum so far have a chance at getting called before they throw the list out.

You can't guarantee anything The MTA is very unpredictable with their hiring procedures. Just like you were so sure that no one in the 6000's were gonna get called. Stop with your lack of faith. Please always be positive! As I've said before the list stops in February of each year then they start calling people again from it for another year. But now since this new exam has been given I think this list will officially end in 2018. meaning that they will not open it up again because of this list of potential employees. With that being said I believe that everyone that I have seen posting in this forum so far have a chance at getting called before they throw the list out.

totally agree. Let try and stay positive

As of right now none of us know if the list will be extended or not. It's a 50/50 chance. We can only go on what we know or what we find out from sources.

look guys, let MTA do there thing..if it happens it happens, don't depend on this only..i waited 7 years to be called for train operator..i was so excited when I got that letter..after 15 weeks or so into training it wasn't for me..the life,the sleep and having no social life and the biggest thing was not spending anytime with my daughter..those who are young this might be the job for you..i am on this list as well ..65xx if I get called I don't mind trying it out due to less training compared to T/O..i guest the responsibilities of the T/O was just too much for me..its A LOT..its not about operating a train up and down there so much behind that..conductor don't seem that bad but your going to be dealing with a lot of people and troubleshooting if doors are stuck, etc..there's a lot of write ups and TSS on your asses looking to pull you out of the train due to you not pointing on your conductor board..i saw this many times while training..so as I said..you get called good for you just keep in mind just because you work for the MTA don't mean your set for life..your giving them 25 years of your life and after your retired then you get to enjoy life..so keep that in mind..

• Upvote 1

look guys, let MTA do there thing..if it happens it happens, don't depend on this only..i waited 7 years to be called for train operator..i was so excited when I got that letter..after 15 weeks or so into training it wasn't for me..the life,the sleep and having no social life and the biggest thing was not spending anytime with my daughter..those who are young this might be the job for you..i am on this list as well ..65xx if I get called I don't mind trying it out due to less training compared to T/O..i guest the responsibilities of the T/O was just too much for me..its A LOT..its not about operating a train up and down there so much behind that..conductor don't seem that bad but your going to be dealing with a lot of people and troubleshooting if doors are stuck, etc..there's a lot of write ups and TSS on your asses looking to pull you out of the train due to you not pointing on your conductor board..i saw this many times while training..so as I said..you get called good for you just keep in mind just because you work for the MTA don't mean your set for life..your giving them 25 years of your life and after your retired then you get to enjoy life..so keep that in mind..

well your right in front of me o on the list so when you get yours I know mine is coming soon

TSS are supervisors who work various positions..when you start school car you will be assigned to a TSS school car instructor and then you have the TSS who work int he subways as undercovers who will ride on your train and see if your making the right announcements, pointing at the conductor board ( white and black board outside your train that you have to point to because that tells you that your train is stopped perfectly for you to open the door) they will write you up for all the little shitty things..the trainoperator gets it worse ...they would go up front and ride with them to see if there obeying the speed limit, lights and drill them with signal questions..same goes for the conductor they can ride with you as well..its not an easy job, there is so much responsibilities involved that you will look at your pay and say its not worth it..t/o started with over $30 per hour and I can tell you..it wasn't worth it..MTA owns you and your life...I am just telling you guys how it is because I was in schoolcar and spoke to a lot of workers and got a lot of insight so I don't mind sharing..MTAhopeful can tell you as well..its not a job for everyone..opening and closing doors is not just what the conductor does..there is soooooo much..you got to deal with intercom complaints, sick passengers, irate passengers, people spitting on you, train delays and your getting blamed..this is just to name a few..circuit switches because they do trip a lot

TSS are like military police, supervising the conduct of conductors and train operators. They're always looking to find people not doing their jobs correctly. There's a board hanging from the ceiling in subway platforms at roughly midway down the platform. The conductor is supposed to point to it after he opens his window before opening the doors. Sometimes TSS will cover the board. In such cases the conductor is supposed to avoid opening the doors. The idea is to make sure conductors pay attention to detail. A covered board indicates something is wrong, like an unlit signal should appear to a train operator.

as for schedule, you wont have a solid schedule. ..there is no such thing..you will be working various shifts//basically you cant have another job or go to school

How are the work schedule for conductors? I heard you work erratic hours with no steady shift??? Is that true? Do you get a guaranteed minimum hours in between shifts to go home and rest?

the most they can work you is 14 hours , especially if your Xtra XTra where you are the crew office slave

I am not telling you guys not to scare you, I am just giving you a heads up especially if you guys have a decent job..don't just leave it to work for the MTA and later you find out this isn't for me while training like I did..everyone is different..this is why MTA will tell you don't leave your current job

Edited by tprashad0719

Tprashad.....do they work conductors as hard and long hours as train operators? Do many conductors quit too?

And what's an xtra xtra and how long do you remain that?

I see a lot of T/O quit or couldn't make it pass schoolcar....conductors quit because they see the responsibilities behind the job..as I said its not all about opening and closing doors..you can even be called in as a flagger where they have you work the tracks and flag trains

I mean come on guys, why you think the list is moving so quick? a lot of people either denied the postion, failed the drug test or said screw it because they are finding out the responsibilities and saying its not worth it because they cant spend time with there kids, social events such as family parties, graduation etc ..because you have to go to work at 12pm on a Saturday or 8am on a sunday..MTA is a 24hr business so you think what schedules you will get..its not  9-5 I will tell you that for sure

Edited by tprashad0719