Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

lunch break? walk with a lot of snacks,if your train is delayed there goes your lunch break or if your train is running off schedule..most likey this is MTA it will run off schedule..nights might be different..xtra is when you belong to the crew office and they make you work various locations..you can work out of 179st one day and then at 207st uptown the next..parsons blvd and then coney island..you will work off the board..you can sit there for 8 hours and then when a job comes up you have to take it...so that can be a whole job which is another 8 hours =16 hours

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC Transit has very good money and benefits, and is very stable - I don't think they've ever laid off subway conductors or train operators for economic reasons (I do think they laid off LIRR conductors in the last recession).

You'll never be paid for less than a 40 hour week, as long as you show up to work - even if for some reason you don't get on a train. But you could also be forced to work 70 hours - unlikely, and great money if you do, but it's murder on family life. You just can't plan to be anywhere else on the days you're scheduled to work.

I do know an N train conductor who loves the job and has bee doing it for many years.

From my understanding being a conductor is less stressful than being a train operator because your responsibilities are less, and you don't need to memorize so much. School car is far shorter, 6 weeks compared to 7-9 months, and all this makes it easier to pass probation and make this a permanent job. But you have to stay on your toes, if you screw up and get caught NYC Transit will make your life miserable and try to get rid of you, even after you're permanent.

Generally your days off are steady and consecutive, but rarely the two weekend days - the challenge is your starting time and location can vary greatly day-to-day, and it's impossible to predict when you'll actually be off work and thus when you'll be home.

The good thing is very stable, relatively high income, great benefits and pension.

What do you mean by TSS on your ass by not pointing to conductor on board? Also how is the schedule of conductor?

Pointing to the board means that your train is properly in the station. That the train operator hasn't overun the station and is fully in the station so that you can safely open the doors.

This is part of your job. Safe operation of your train is your responsibility. If you haven't got it already the TSS should ride you..

the most they can work you is 14 hours , especially if your Xtra XTra where you are the crew office slave

I am not telling you guys not to scare you, I am just giving you a heads up especially if you guys have a decent job..don't just leave it to work for the MTA and later you find out this isn't for me while training like I did..everyone is different..this is why MTA will tell you don't leave your current job

False. 16 hours in non-emergencies, you must notify control upon working your 12 hours. During emergencies I.E. During snow storm shut downs, they can hold you for as long as they need.

So you can be an xtra for 4-5 years?

as a conductor I was road extra for less than a year. Picked a steady job after 6 months on the job.

How long is the work day as a conductor? 8 hours?

expect 8 hours at the minimum on a good day.

its not an easy job, there is so much responsibilities involved that you will look at your pay and say its not worth it..t/o started with over $30 per hour and I can tell you..it wasn't worth it..MTA owns you and your life...I am just telling you guys how it is because I was in schoolcar and spoke to a lot of workers and got a lot of insight so I don't mind sharing..MTAhopeful can tell you as well..its not a job for everyone..

My vacations to London and Madrid thanks to moving up front to T/O say otherwise. It's one thing to be truthful and another being just a negative nancy. Stop being a negative nancy just because the job wasn't what you expected.

My vacations to London and Madrid thanks to moving up front to T/O say otherwise. It's one thing to be truthful and another being just a negative nancy. Stop being a negative nancy just because the job wasn't what you expected.

When can you take your first vacation and how long they give you?

When can you take your first vacation and how long they give you?

Usually one week during your first year(sometimes less depending on when during the year you start), 3 weeks after 3 years, 4 weeks after 15 years. Vacation time is picked by seniority. It'll take a while for you to get vacation time during the summer since all the senior people pick their vacations during that time. It moves quicker as conductor to get better vacation time since more people promote to different titles so seniority moves quickly.

Isn't it 4 weeks after 3 years and 5 weeks after 15?

Is this still the case for newbies...Or are they 5 years to 4 weeks now? I'll have to ask someone that falls in that category next time I see someone like that to be sure, unless you or someone else on the forum knows the answer.

@Lisa, don't get offended.

I know it's a long haul waiting to hear back from Transit. They move at their own pace but it can speed up unexpectedly.

Just make sure Transit has your current address, phone number and email address.

Maybe check in with them once a month to see what # they're up to.

Archived