Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lisa, being a conductor is definitely stressful, in a different way from being a train operator.

Conductors are much more exposed to angry people, whether ordinary customers or crazy/drunk/homeless folks.

And just like T/Os are expected to hit their marks in the station every time and never blow a signal, conductors are expected to never close doors on customers, make proper/timely announcements, be polite, and never open the doors on the wrong side of the platform. Both jobs require great attention to detail.

What's nice about conductor in my mind is that you get on the road and out of school car quickly. Some have said that school car is more forgiving than the road, but I want to focus on the job itself ASAP.

Listen, I'm thankful Transit was nice enough to hire me. I can't wait to leave the job at now. BS money and no future. With this I can go anywhere I want and not have to be confined to one place. I'm staying a conductor. Don't feel like starting over pay wise. I'm just gonna do my 25 years and collect my pension. That's it. Just feels like some of you are complaining already. If that's the case then call them & say it's not for you. I'm thankful. You should be, too.

"I would like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

- Joe DiMaggio

Listen, I'm thankful Transit was nice enough to hire me. I can't wait to leave the job at now. BS money and no future. With this I can go anywhere I want and not have to be confined to one place. I'm staying a conductor. Don't feel like starting over pay wise. I'm just gonna do my 25 years and collect my pension. That's it. Just feels like some of you are complaining already. If that's the case then call them & say it's not for you. I'm thankful. You should be, too.

- Joe DiMaggio

I want the job because I know it would be something I like to do monster what. I'm in a job now that I don't like but it pays the bills at the end of the day. I just want to put my time in and retire in a good financial state. I can stand all day. I worked 7 years as a security guard. Standing is a breeze for me. Also, don't they have seats in the conductors cab? It can't be all that bad but, I did hear the work shoes are unbearable lol.

@TDevom, I prefer standing to desk jobs anyway.

Safety shoes are painful and can cause sores. you can visit a podiatrist and get better, more comfortable shoes, following Transit's procedures, or try wearing the provided shoes with thick wool winter socks, extra padding.

same here trust me.

I want the job because I know it would be something I like to do monster what. I'm in a job now that I don't like but it pays the bills at the end of the day. I just want to put my time in and retire in a good financial state. I can stand all day. I worked 7 years as a security guard. Standing is a breeze for me. Also, don't they have seats in the conductors cab? It can't be all that bad but, I did hear the work shoes are unbearable lol.

Exactly my point.

- Joe DiMaggio

Safety shoes are painful and can cause sores. you can visit a podiatrist and get better, more comfortable shoes, following Transit's procedures, or try wearing the provided shoes with thick wool winter socks, extra padding.

What do you think building engineers wear?

- Joe DiMaggio

Bro, people aren't even on the job & they're already bitching about it. That's what I mean.

- Joe DiMaggio

The conductors that I spoke to complained of neck pain from constantly looking out the windows, as well as knee pain from constantly standing up at each station in order to look out every window in order to clear the door. They did say it's very stressful.

Everyone handles stress differently. It's all in your mind... There's tons of people who like being a conductor, and tons who wish they were in my shoes as a TO. You will rarely find a person who says they hate their job... We are all waiting the that special "pick".

Working for the MTA as someone new, "you are one day the hammer and one day the nail"... Most days you are the Hammer (There are more good days than bad). No one says you have to be in the same position for your entire time in transit, but some prefer to. I started last year, and will be filing for the dispatcher test next month, as well as watching for other jobs available within MTA (headquarters etc). I realize throughout my years of working my way up to management at my previous jobs, people are scared of responsibilities. They want the money, without the responsibilities. The best part about being a TO compared to my previous supervisory title, is that I get paid to be responsible for my own actions, and not the actions of others.

Don't take too much advice from people who are not in the position you want to be in... Talk to people who work the job, old and new... They will give you all the details, tips, and more. There's are reason you post with various TSS's and TO's, as a train operator for six weeks or more... To learn a little from everyone, as they say "throw out the bad information someone may give you".

We run NYC, it can't be that easy, everyday....

No annuities... Pension, 401k and 457's. What more can you ask for?

PS: Lookout for notices from 180, I know someone who took the conductor test, and received a letter asking if they wanted a cleaner job in the mean time.

Good luck to all.

Bro, people aren't even on the job & they're already bitching about it. That's what I mean.

- Joe DiMaggio

Exactly why Ms. Rivera has to give that speech now. Either you want the job or you don't...

Everyone handles stress differently. It's all in your mind... There's tons of people who like being a conductor, and tons who wish they were in my shoes as a TO. You will rarely find a person who says they hate their job... We are all waiting the that special "pick".

Working for the MTA as someone new, "you are one day the hammer and one day the nail"... Most days you are the Hammer (There are more good days than bad). No one says you have to be in the same position for your entire time in transit, but some prefer to. I started last year, and will be filing for the dispatcher test next month, as well as watching for other jobs available within MTA (headquarters etc). I realize throughout my years of working my way up to management at my previous jobs, people are scared of responsibilities. They want the money, without the responsibilities. The best part about being a TO compared to my previous supervisory title, is that I get paid to be responsible for my own actions, and not the actions of others.

Don't take too much advice from people who are not in the position you want to be in... Talk to people who work the job, old and new... They will give you all the details, tips, and more. There's are reason you post with various TSS's and TO's, as a train operator for six weeks or more... To learn a little from everyone, as they say "throw out the bad information someone may give you".

PS: Lookout for notices from 180, I know someone who took the conductor test, and received a letter asking if they wanted a cleaner job in the mean time.

Good luck to all.

Exactly why Ms. Rivera has to give that speech now. Either you want the job or you don't...

So we don't get an annuity? Just the 401K or 457? How much do you have to invest or how much do they take out? Like 8-10 cents on every dollar? My denominations are probably way off any way. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

- Joe DiMaggio

Good luck to all.

I agree. She made it very clear to us all. Does anyone else think she wasn't very straightforward with us all?

- Joe DiMaggio

I realize throughout my years of working my way up to management at my previous jobs, people are scared of responsibilities. They want the money, without the responsibilities...

I can agree and testify to this 100% when the previous company I worked promoted me...all because I was willing to take on more responsibilities.

So we don't get an annuity? Just the 401K or 457? How much do you have to invest or how much do they take out? Like 8-10 cents on every dollar? My denominations are probably way off any way. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

- Joe DiMaggio

I agree. She made it very clear to us all. Does anyone else think she wasn't very straightforward with us all?

- Joe DiMaggio

You invest what u want from 2% and up, per paycheck. I do what was the standard, 10%.

You invest what u want from 2% and up, per paycheck. I do what was the standard, 10%.

Thank you, bro.

- Joe DiMaggio

No letter today. I called yesterday and nobody picked up the phone. Will try again on Monday.

Of course no one picked up the phone. It's Saturday. Nobody's in the office. Just wait till Monday and call again.

- Joe DiMaggio

Thank you, bro.

- Joe DiMaggio

Of course no one picked up the phone. It's Saturday. Nobody's in the office. Just wait till Monday and call again.

- Joe DiMaggio

No, I called on Friday. I know better than to call on a Saturday lol. 

You can contribute a dollar amount or a percentage starting at 2%, to the 401K and 457. The maximum tax deductible amount is determined by IRS code each year, check since every year it's different. That's the max for EACH INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT TYPE, not the max for both. So if you're trying to aggressively save, max out the 457 first before you put a penny into the 401k.

There is no "company match" for all who are curious. Remember, you get a pension. For Tier 6 folks, pension contribution is mandatory (unlike 401k/457), and it will start at 3% of your gross and work its way up to 6% depending on how much you make. Tier 4 folks pay 2% of gross into pension.

If you leave before you vest your pension (<5 years Tier 4, <10 years Tier 6), you will get your contributions plus any accrued interest back, and can roll it tax free into an IRA, 401k, or 457 account, or you can take the cash but expect to pay a penalty if you do this.

Once you partially vest your pension (>5 years Tier 4, >10 years Tier 6), you will not be able to collect an annual pension benefit until age 62, at which point the payout will be determined based on your final average and your years of service.

Once you fully vest your pension (>25 years of service), you will not be able to collect an annual pension benefit until age 55, at which point the payout will be determined based on your final average and your years of service, but each year will generate "more" retirement income when you fully vest than it would have under the 62/5 (Tier 4) or 62/10 (Tier 6) plans.

*Final averages are also calculated differently for Tier 4 and Tier 6.

Other paycheck deductions that are mandatory besides taxes and SSDI: 2% of your gross goes into paying towards healthcare premiums, and you union dues will run a fixed amount every paycheck. I don't remember the number off the top of my head.

All other paycheck deductions (including 401k/457) are voluntary. And yes, putting it in some woman that you have no intention of staying with and getting locked into 18 years of child support or alimony is voluntary, so if you are starting out in TA and don't have any kids yet, be smart about that so you don't end up in that situation. The courts won't care if the overtime you were making dried up, and you'll still be on the hook for the larger amount the court awarded even when you can't make enough to justify that award going forward. Don't be a cautionary tale at TA...there are too many people on the overtime list who don't get to enjoy a penny of it because they are working for someone else, not themselves.

(This isn't directed at you specifically, this is just general money advice since TA will not give you a financial literacy education, this is the nuts and bolts of payroll deductions in one post).

One conductor told me that the job appears easy to people who don't know much about it but is definitely very hard on the body, especially the fact that you have to constantly stick your head out of the window all day and stand up at each station. Very hard on the feet and neck. Just passing it along. He also said that a lot of conductors get tired of being stuck in the little cab 8 hours a day.

You can contribute a dollar amount or a percentage starting at 2%, to the 401K and 457. The maximum tax deductible amount is determined by IRS code each year, check since every year it's different. That's the max for EACH INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT TYPE, not the max for both. So if you're trying to aggressively save, max out the 457 first before you put a penny into the 401k.

There is no "company match" for all who are curious. Remember, you get a pension. For Tier 6 folks, pension contribution is mandatory (unlike 401k/457), and it will start at 3% of your gross and work its way up to 6% depending on how much you make. Tier 4 folks pay 2% of gross into pension.

If you leave before you vest your pension (<5 years Tier 4, <10 years Tier 6), you will get your contributions plus any accrued interest back, and can roll it tax free into an IRA, 401k, or 457 account, or you can take the cash but expect to pay a penalty if you do this.

Once you partially vest your pension (>5 years Tier 4, >10 years Tier 6), you will not be able to collect an annual pension benefit until age 62, at which point the payout will be determined based on your final average and your years of service.

Once you fully vest your pension (>25 years of service), you will not be able to collect an annual pension benefit until age 55, at which point the payout will be determined based on your final average and your years of service, but each year will generate "more" retirement income when you fully vest than it would have under the 62/5 (Tier 4) or 62/10 (Tier 6) plans.

Other paycheck deductions that are mandatory besides taxes and SSDI: 2% of your gross goes into paying towards healthcare premiums, and you union dues will run a fixed amount every paycheck. I don't remember the number off the top of my head.

All other paycheck deductions (including 401k/457) are voluntary. And yes, putting it in some woman that you have no intention of staying with and getting locked into 18 years of child support or alimony is voluntary, so if you are starting out in TA and don't have any kids yet, be smart about that so you don't end up in that situation. The courts won't care if the overtime you were making dried up, and you'll still be on the hook for the larger amount the court awarded even when you can't make enough to justify that award going forward. Don't be a cautionary tale at TA...there are too many people on the overtime list who don't get to enjoy a penny of it because they are working for someone else, not themselves.

(This isn't directed at you specifically, this is just general money advice since TA will not give you a financial literacy education, this is the nuts and bolts of payroll deductions in one post).

Wow! That's a lot of of information but I thank you! Please don't tell me you typed that entire thing out.

- Joe DiMaggio

First of all, well said.

Second, this applies not necessarily to me, but to some of my co-workers in the private sector as well...

good to know. The good thing for me is when I move over to transit my nycers will move over too. I am already in tier 6 with my job now.

First of all, well said.

Second, this applies not necessarily to me, but to some of my co-workers in the private sector as well...

Seriously!

- Joe DiMaggio

Am a tier 4 with the board of education so I have to move my stuff ove

With that and the TA's 401K or 457 you're gonna make a killing, bro!

- Joe DiMaggio

First of all, well said.

I've never been a big fan of working in the private sector.

- Joe DiMaggio

Am a tier 4 with the board of education so I have to move my stuff ove

Lucky you. I didn't bother to get into the details in my post since people are just starting out their career, but you'll see if you do your homework that the way our final average is calculated in Tier 4 is much, much better than what people in Tier 6 have.

That goes for anyone with previous civil service by the way - if you were in NYCERS and have the option to buy back into Tier 4, do it as soon as you can.

One conductor told me that the job appears easy to people who don't know much about it but is definitely very hard on the body, especially the fact that you have to constantly stick your head out of the window all day and stand up at each station. Very hard on the feet and neck. Just passing it along. He also said that a lot of conductors get tired of being stuck in the little cab 8 hours a day.

Train Operator and Conductor jobs are easy 95% of the time. TA doesn't pay you and train you for that 95% of the time. TA trains and pays you a good wage for that 5%.

-The day you have a door problem - can you overcome it? Or will you wilt under the pressure and have to take the train out of service?

-The day someone jumps in front of your train and you have to discharge that train, answer questions for police, update RCC on what is going on, and assist coordinating between EMS/fire and RCC until a TSS is able to arrive on scene. For the conductor, this could mean doing all of this also, because what if your Train Operator loses it after the "man under"? You will be expected to step up to the plate until they can get you some help in the form of a TSS.

-The day the railroad goes bad and you get stuck between stations for 20 minutes, keeping the passengers calm until RCC can find a way to get them off the train, then executing that plan safely, properly, and without any unnecessary delay.

-The day someone surfs the train or gets caught in the doors. Will you be able to pull that cord as you are supposed to, or will you freeze up?

Anyone who tells you this is an easy job (Train Operator or Conductor) has never really been through a hard day down here. We don't train and get paid for the 95% of times everything is working OK. We train and get paid for the 5% where the adults get sorted out from among the children.

Archived