Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Am just happy to be going to mta and leaving nypd and all its problems behind me."

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Grass is greener on mta side. This is gonna be my second tenure with mta. Well I can only speak for myself.good luck everyone.

:(

Well raddu, don't dismiss mta all together. U do have four years to come back to mta. Nypd isn't for everyone, and I am speaking from experience. Am just happy to be going to mta and leaving nypd and all its problems behind me. But good luck, remember you have four years to still take the job. All the best :oand be ready to run five miles everyday.:P

Dude for real good luck W/ Nypd ,,, 5 mlles is cake ,, that aint nothing bro...

Try running 10-15 & + miles every day w/ a ruck sack 250lbs for 5 years every day(which that aint nothing),,,dont know why every cop i know says" is the hardest thing I been too",,, man please,,,, that training is cake man ,, good luck,, is not like u joining the U.S. AIRBORNE RANGERS,,," me personally I want a job that still pays good & dont need all that stress no more,, been their done that ,,,, & lookng forward to be w/ transit till i retire, & die

Dude for real good luck W/ Nypd ,,, 5 mlles is cake ,, that aint nothing bro...

Try running 10-15 & + miles every day w/ a ruck sack 250lbs for 5 years every day(which that aint nothing),,,dont know why every cop i know says" is the hardest thing I been too",,, man please,,,, that training is cake man ,, good luck,, is not like u joining the U.S. AIRBORNE RANGERS,,," me personally I want a job that still pays good & dont need all that stress no more,, been their done that ,,,, & lookng forward to be w/ transit till i retire, & die

Yeah but in many respects being a police officer is a much more prestigious position. Dames dig Cops, you are never in the same place, you really do have brotherhood with many people that will stick up for you, you command respect whereever you live and move, pubs love having you and serve you and your pals better and more draft, the PD provides much more cool perks for you and your family like free tickets to events from time to time, you can become partly corrupt and make your job much more profitable, you can always attain employment in another city or town that pays better or maybe you simply want to move some place else. One of the things I see somewhat of a drawback working for NYC Transit is that for the rest of your life you have to stick around here and commit yourself to living at least in the tri-state area if you can get to work on time. It all boils down to what type of person you are, you want to be stuck down on the subway until you retire or out on the street enforcing the law, either job is still a rewarding career.

Yeah but in many respects being a police officer is a much more prestigious position. Dames dig Cops, you are never in the same place, you really do have brotherhood with many people that will stick up for you, you command respect whereever you live and move, pubs love having you and serve you and your pals better and more draft, the PD provides much more cool perks for you and your family like free tickets to events from time to time, you can become partly corrupt and make your job much more profitable, you can always attain employment in another city or town that pays better or maybe you simply want to move some place else. One of the things I see somewhat of a drawback working for NYC Transit is that for the rest of your life you have to stick around here and commit yourself to living at least in the tri-state area if you can get to work on time. It all boils down to what type of person you are, you want to be stuck down on the subway until you retire or out on the street enforcing the law, either job is still a rewarding career.

Wow, you don't need a uniform to pick up women. And the perks you are referring to are pretty much gone. Why would you wanna leave this lovely city to go live someplace else. Stuck on the subway till you retire sounds better than enforcing law out on the streets.:cool:

Wow, you don't need a uniform to pick up women. And the perks you are referring to are pretty much gone. Why would you wanna leave this lovely city to go live someplace else. Stuck on the subway till you retire sounds better than enforcing law out on the streets.:cool:

Id rather work any other job than start off with the NYPD for $45 k per year walking around with a target on my back and dealing with the dreggs of society all of the time.

Id rather work any other job than start off with the NYPD for $45 k per year walking around with a target on my back and dealing with the dreggs of society all of the time.

All my respect to law enforcement workers,,I come from a law enforcement family,, & military background,,, for the same and/or equivalent pay to be a cop or be a transit worker ,,, I stick to transit,,,,

you are correct. However, its still just a matter of opinion from all angles.

School car for first week is in the transit academy on 13th st and avenue U from 0700-1500. Then your next few weeks will be all over the system at the yards and terminal points for instruction and on the job training. final week or 2 will be buddied up with seasoned conductor for line training. the schedule i got when i was there was 1500-2300 m-f. also the pay sheet i got says 3-4 years till top pay of 27 bucks and change.

On another note thanks to all that responded to my posts. I had to leave school car after 1st week. I have been at my job for 7 years and couldn't just throw the time away even though i considered it. I would not have been able to give the job sufficient notice that i was leaving and a leave of absence would take dunno how long since they would have had to give me a release date. Also coming to mta would be huge pay cut for me and would take those 3-4 years to make it up in OT. The extra extra schedule caught me off guard. didnt care what shift i got as long as it was a set time. next time i'll be prepared. guess i shoulda joined the forum earlier and i wouldve known lol.

pay bumps once ayear till 3 yrs

Does anyone know when a Conductor receives each pay bump towards the top pay?

Annually. The current contract calls for incremental raises from 19.47 starting salary, to 20 and change after 1 year, to 23 and change after 2 years, to 27.81 after 3 years. Night differential goes up also (for hours worked between 6pm and 6am the following day). For new hires its 91 cents per hour, goes up to over 1 dollar.

So where is the schoolcar training? Are there set days and hours for schoolcar such as M-F 8-4? Also I would like to know as well when do you get the bumps in raises until you get to top pay?

Schoolcar training takes place all over. You'll get an orientation at Livingston, then you'll go to the Transit Learning Center at the old PS 248 in South Brooklyn, then you'll go all over.

During schoolcar you can expect to work 8 hours a day with all weekends and holidays off. However, the actual hours can vary, but there will only be 8 of them...and location WILL vary.

Annually. The current contract calls for incremental raises from 19.47 starting salary, to 20 and change after 1 year, to 23 and change after 2 years, to 27.81 after 3 years. Night differential goes up also (for hours worked between 6pm and 6am the following day). For new hires its 91 cents per hour, goes up to over 1 dollar.

Schoolcar training takes place all over. You'll get an orientation at Livingston, then you'll go to the Transit Learning Center at the old PS 248 in South Brooklyn, then you'll go all over.

During schoolcar you can expect to work 8 hours a day with all weekends and holidays off. However, the actual hours can vary, but there will only be 8 of them...and location WILL vary.

Well thank you very much for the info. I am debating whether or not I should drive in or take the trains as I live out on L.I. by Ronkonkoma. Is there parking at the rail yards where I would be training and/ or starting my shifts?

Well thank you very much for the info. I am debating whether or not I should drive in or take the trains as I live out on L.I. by Ronkonkoma. Is there parking at the rail yards where I would be training and/ or starting my shifts?

Some places are easier to find parking than others. When you get into schoolcar ask your instructors and they'll give you directions. If something sounds like it may be a hassle, take the train that day.

Well once your employee, you can apply for a parking permit to what ever yards you'll be working at. But during school car I'm not sure if this is possible. But I would suggest driving since you live so far out in LI, and will be all over the city. I would not want to rely on the subway system. But if you do and for some reason you're late write down the train car numbers for the car you're in and give that to them if you're running late. And also remember to always swipe you pass upon entry into the system to show proof of when you boarded. If you get into the habit as many of us do of asking the S/A to buzz you in or open the gate you won't have that proof for what time you entered the system.

School car for first week is in the transit academy on 13th st and avenue U from 0700-1500. Then your next few weeks will be all over the system at the yards and terminal points for instruction and on the job training. final week or 2 will be buddied up with seasoned conductor for line training. the schedule i got when i was there was 1500-2300 m-f. also the pay sheet i got says 3-4 years till top pay of 27 bucks and change.

On another note thanks to all that responded to my posts. I had to leave school car after 1st week. I have been at my job for 7 years and couldn't just throw the time away even though i considered it. I would not have been able to give the job sufficient notice that i was leaving and a leave of absence would take dunno how long since they would have had to give me a release date. Also coming to mta would be huge pay cut for me and would take those 3-4 years to make it up in OT. The extra extra schedule caught me off guard. didnt care what shift i got as long as it was a set time. next time i'll be prepared. guess i shoulda joined the forum earlier and i wouldve known lol.

pay bumps once ayear till 3 yrs

what is extra extra schedule?

Does anyone know the vision requirement for the position? I've already been medically disqualified from the NYPD & FDNY EMS because of the their requirements. Hopefully it's not 20/20 good eye, 20/50 worse eye like EMS. Also, is having monocular vision an automatic disqualifier?

It seems that the last #s hired are around the 200s. I don't want to get my hopes up if it's just as stringent as those 2 since my list # is in the late 300s. Any info is greatly appreciated...

last I heard the last number called for medical was 176. This was tols to me by a shiela last wednesday, I'm still waiting to get called up for medical.....I asked how long is the drug test good for she told me 90 days. This is taking too long already.

Archived